• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is interest in your course very important in determining success? (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Deep down, I know i am a math / science type person. But i also know that career path won't take me anywhere far materialistically. (i.e. engineers / academics are poor ppl) I think i can get into Law, Actuary, - anything - (cept med) and Im contemplating on doing something outside of my interests - especially leaning towards the commercial world and leaving behind my interests in science.

Has anyone here made a similar decision? Can you give me some reflections, whether you regret it or not? Can a person truly adapt to something outside of their interests? Is it possible that I can grow to sincerely enjoy Law or commerce or whatever I end up doing?

Generator

HSC
N/A
If you believe that you are able to study anything (bar medicine) then surely you could answer this question for yourself... Besides, who on this forum would have had enough time to warm to a particular career when they are in all likelihood still at uni?

But, why don't you just aim for a BSc/BCom? Isn't that the most obvious way to ensure that you can study what you love within a BSc along with a supposedly more practical degree?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
In the end, being happy with your career is more important than the money.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah take a double degree

law/science or something

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
taht was my parents' concern... do a double degree like sci/comm or sci/law...

but then again, i am definitely enjoying sci... regardin its job prosperity, u never know... =) u might be surprized...

Giant Lobster

HSC
natstar said:
You definietly should do what u are intersted in, even if it doesent pay extreamly well. Engineers and academics are not poor....Look at uni lectures..they get paid so much. If u end up in a career that pays heaps and u hate doing it then u aint gonna be happy. Money does not make the world go round. Some of my interests include anthropolgy, sociology and psychology but i couldent get a high enough uai to do a psych degree, so im doing marketing, which incorporates all 3 of thoses interests, and will prolly get me better career prospects cuz marketing and advertising is where th ebig bucks are. Even tho law could get u big bucks, i couldent stand doing it as a job, id find it way way too boring...
Yeah you have a point ive considered many times before. But i dunno whether I wouldnt be happy with doing law. Sigh... hopefully tomoro's open day would clear some answers.

Im considering combining Law with something I'd enjoy like science, as Jago mentioned, but I dont see much prospects with that particular combo (anyone prove me wrong here? please :)). Also I know combining Law with engineering would be pure suicide (from what I hear, engineering is arguably the hardest course, and law is pretty demanding already)

doe

HSC
N/A
you can grow to enjoy anything if you really want to. no job is perfect, and the grass is always greener on the other side. having a law or commerce degree is no guarentee of anything, competition is fierce, and imo the jobs are pretty shit, knowing quite well people who work/worked in those industries.

as i get older things like money matter less and less. dont get me wrong, money is important and its nice to be comfortable, i wont be taking a vow of poverty anytime soon. but ive come to realise you only need so much money, after which it can become a hindrance. i know a few people who earn too much money. they're too young and they have too much cash and they squander it on stupid shit including drugs, which is going to end up causing them serious issues. its different when you have kids and a mortgage, but for most of us that isnt going to happen anytime soon. my point is, how much money do you actually need? i find that once i reach a level i deem comfortable, i dont really need any more. who really needs $250k a year? is it going to make much more of a difference than $100k a year? maybe your couch will be more expensive, your tv a bit bigger, and your car a bit nicer, is it worth it if you have to go to a job you hate every day?

there is no right or wrong here. some people are genuninely fascinated by financial markets or the legal system, and will go to work in those fields and do well, and probably make a lot of cash. they'll pay a price though in their own way, but even then, theyd probably be working in that field even if it wasnt as well paid. there are a lot of people who are drawn solely by the money, enter midlife crisis where accountants start buying harley davidsons and dying their hair blue. take a look at your teachers. if they're over say 30, chances are they were top of their school & at university, and gave up potentially lucrative careers to teach.

another thing is, you dont get rich working for someone else. if you have a genuine passion for a field and the right spirit you can make a lot of money. there is plenty of money in maths and science, if you're so inclined. if you not, theres many careers that are rewarding and fufilling, sure they're not as well paid, but gee, they're really interesting and cool. you also write off the chance of making money. senior lectures in science/maths will make in excess of $100k, get to do cutting edge research with world class peers. also, even though salaries may be low, companies will fund academics to do research for them ala research grants, and these can be quite substantial, so at least you get to play with some cool toys, that most people in industry only dream of. if you dont become an ardent academic and keep some sense of business perspective theres a lot of money to be made.

fulltime work is enjoyable for approximately three months, then it becomes a chore, then you grow to hate it. if you really hate it you can go back to uni and do something else which is fairly common. i can safely say ill never use around 90% of what ive been taught in my comp sci degree in the workplace, but im thinking of doing a phd, just cause it will stimulate the intellectual interest i have in computing, which is moreorless irrelevant in a typical IT job. so, i work to pay the bills, and do something pie in the sky simply cause i enjoy it.

if i were you, id use google to find a few people who have phds in your chosen field and mail them, and see if they regret it. also find some people in law/whatever and mail them. it seems a bit weird but ive done it myself, and people can be surprisingly open to random people on the internet.

in my experience its hard to get good advice. your parents want you to look after them once they retire (they might not say it but its true), your teachers are too in love with education to be practical, and your career advisor at school probably isnt much use (mine told me to be a security guard). id get your first degree in a science and work for a few years. if you dont like it go do a masters in something else. after that you'll probably have a fairly unique combination of qualifications too, which can lead to interesting roles. dont spend 10 years at uni covering all possibilities & dont get a phd with no commercial experience unless you want to be a career academic.

Last edited:

omg_a

HSC
well, it totally depends on your definition of success doesn't it? as in earning a lot of money (and then, how much), or as in loving your job? or as in being happy in life good relationships? it may sound cliched, but its true that money doesn't make happiness.....not that it's not useful to be comfortable. I would say do something you're passionate about. otherwise, you can come out of it with a huge hecs debt just thinking 'meh.' if you're not sure, a double degree is a good idea. And try not to listen to your parents too much!!

Giant Lobster

HSC
doe said:
you can grow to enjoy anything if you really want to. no job is perfect, and the grass is always greener on the other side. having a law or commerce degree is no guarentee of anything, competition is fierce, and imo the jobs are pretty shit, knowing quite well people who work/worked in those industries.

as i get older things like money matter less and less. dont get me wrong, money is important and its nice to be comfortable, i wont be taking a vow of poverty anytime soon. but ive come to realise you only need so much money, after which it can become a hindrance. i know a few people who earn too much money. they're too young and they have too much cash and they squander it on stupid shit including drugs, which is going to end up causing them serious issues. its different when you have kids and a mortgage, but for most of us that isnt going to happen anytime soon. my point is, how much money do you actually need? i find that once i reach a level i deem comfortable, i dont really need any more. who really needs $250k a year? is it going to make much more of a difference than $100k a year? maybe your couch will be more expensive, your tv a bit bigger, and your car a bit nicer, is it worth it if you have to go to a job you hate every day?

there is no right or wrong here. some people are genuninely fascinated by financial markets or the legal system, and will go to work in those fields and do well, and probably make a lot of cash. they'll pay a price though in their own way, but even then, theyd probably be working in that field even if it wasnt as well paid. there are a lot of people who are drawn solely by the money, enter midlife crisis where accountants start buying harley davidsons and dying their hair blue. take a look at your teachers. if they're over say 30, chances are they were top of their school & at university, and gave up potentially lucrative careers to teach.

another thing is, you dont get rich working for someone else. if you have a genuine passion for a field and the right spirit you can make a lot of money. there is plenty of money in maths and science, if you're so inclined. if you not, theres many careers that are rewarding and fufilling, sure they're not as well paid, but gee, they're really interesting and cool. you also write off the chance of making money. senior lectures in science/maths will make in excess of $100k, get to do cutting edge research with world class peers. also, even though salaries may be low, companies will fund academics to do research for them ala research grants, and these can be quite substantial, so at least you get to play with some cool toys, that most people in industry only dream of. if you dont become an ardent academic and keep some sense of business perspective theres a lot of money to be made.

fulltime work is enjoyable for approximately three months, then it becomes a chore, then you grow to hate it. if you really hate it you can go back to uni and do something else which is fairly common. i can safely say ill never use around 90% of what ive been taught in my comp sci degree in the workplace, but im thinking of doing a phd, just cause it will stimulate the intellectual interest i have in computing, which is moreorless irrelevant in a typical IT job. so, i work to pay the bills, and do something pie in the sky simply cause i enjoy it.

if i were you, id use google to find a few people who have phds in your chosen field and mail them, and see if they regret it. also find some people in law/whatever and mail them. it seems a bit weird but ive done it myself, and people can be surprisingly open to random people on the internet.

in my experience its hard to get good advice. your parents want you to look after them once they retire (they might not say it but its true), your teachers are too in love with education to be practical, and your career advisor at school probably isnt much use (mine told me to be a security guard). id get your first degree in a science and work for a few years. if you dont like it go do a masters in something else. after that you'll probably have a fairly unique combination of qualifications too, which can lead to interesting roles. dont spend 10 years at uni covering all possibilities & dont get a phd with no commercial experience unless you want to be a career academic.

Thank you.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
xiao1985 said:
taht was my parents' concern... do a double degree like sci/comm or sci/law...

but then again, i am definitely enjoying sci... regardin its job prosperity, u never know... =) u might be surprized...
what he said

bex

HSC
if you are interested in what you are doing, it becomes less like work and more like activity. being interested definately helps you to stay motivated!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Engineers and academics are not poor....Look at uni lectures..they get paid so much.
actually, they dont...
i mean, even someone at the Prof level is only getting ~100k a year...
the academics could easily get double what they currently are if they went out into industry.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I learnt the hard way that if you don't hold an interest in law then you'll find it the worst thing on earth... I know a lot of people including myself who made the course, did it for a year or longer than transferred because it became something you didn't tolerate anymore but rather detest.

I transferred into Comm/Arts in economics and resource & environmental studies and it was the best move I ever made because you enjoy yourself doing what you want to do, and because you actually enjoy getting up and doing what you do, you tend to do well at things. I've chosen what I wanted to do over what looks good to do, I'm enjoying it a whole heap more and my values have changed with an approach now of just wanting to have a happy and enjoyable life rather than a rich and seemingly envious life.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep doe and raiks both raised some extremely valid points which u should take into acct when choosing a degree. lemme say that doing law or something is very risky coming from your background because you never know if it's suitable to you...so as xiao1985 has mentioned, you could do a double/combined degree in law/science (or even med/law here at monash) to expand your opportunities if money is still an issue and you would like to do a job you enjoy at the same time...

on another note:
actually, they dont...
the academics could easily get double what they currently are if they went out into industry.
only?? thats ALOT of money considering the workload (much less then at high school where you have to deal with egos and personalities at the same time), and also lecturers aren't lecturing 9-3 5 days of the week...the might have a few lectures a week but the rest is administrative or academia (researching). With the renovation craze these days I heard of one lecturer who actualy got more money doing up houses in his spare time than for lecturing...so all in all with a full time workload a lecturer could earn much more...although 100K is amazing already.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Theres no point in being an actuary on 150K if you fucking hate your work.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Theres no point in being an actuary on 150K if you fucking hate your work.
yet realty may be cruel... u'd rather be on 20k per year on something u love?? i won't... the reality is usually cruel... sorry if i sound abit cynical, but my parents are so cynical on this subject... i fuckin hated commerce... oh well...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
yet realty may be cruel... u'd rather be on 20k per year on something u love?? i won't... the reality is usually cruel... sorry if i sound abit cynical, but my parents are so cynical on this subject... i fuckin hated commerce... oh well...
Indeed I would, or at least find a happy medium, since you tend to spend just as much time working as enjoying your money.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
actually, they dont...
also 1/2 the time you would be out of work

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
off the subject of money, i know a guy that did radiography, and hes doing his professional accreditation year or whatever it is they call it, and it is only now that hes liking it (or, rather, hes loving it), he totally hated his degree and had no interest in it whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)