• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is interest in your course very important in determining success? (2 Viewers)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Right now Im leaning on doing actuary at macquarie
I enjoy maths, and the possible jobs' salaries look attractive. Hopefully this is the compromise I'm looking for. Not too lucrative, not too humble, has elements I would enjoy but also elements I dont (well not at the moment: the commerce theory side of actuarial studies)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Giant Lobster said:
I enjoy maths, and the possible jobs' salaries look attractive. Hopefully this is the compromise I'm looking for. Not too lucrative, not too humble, has elements I would enjoy but also elements I dont (well not at the moment: the commerce theory side of actuarial studies)
I'm doing a 2nd year Corporate financial accounting subject now, which both Accounting and Actuarial majors have to do...and its quite disgusting..you'll learn to hate consolidation accounting in a couple of years :p

But its good that you choose an actuarial career path as you enjoy maths, I think its much better than doing a straight science degree

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Giant Lobster said:
yea, gluck with actuary...

tho i am certain u will love the maths ssp at usyd tho sigh~~~ oh well

Dave85

HSC
i was a science person and loved yr 12 physics and chemistry. i was thinking of going into something science related as that was wat i enjoyed. i guess im a numbers person more then a words person. i changed my mind completely from scince to commerce and am going 2 major in accounting and finance. ive only done one semester but im loving it. i was the same, there seemed to be a lack of jobs i REALLY wanted to do in science. plus i figured if im investing time and money into education, why not get a job that pays well. Its not like im doing something i hate, as im a numbers person and accounting (Obvoiusly) is a hell of a lot of numbers. newayz i say give it a go coz i was in a similar situation and am truly loving wat im doing! ...even tho this time last yr i wudnt hav pictured me doing wat i am :)

santaslayer

HSC
natstar said:
My next door neighbour is a part time lecturer at UNSW and she only does about 2 lectures per year. Still the her families lifestyle......i wouldent mind doing 2 lectures a year and egtting that much cash
Friend who got the Uni medal when he graduated 10 years ago....only works at Qantas as an auditor...low pay, high job prospects though...asked him why he wouldn't go for the big 4? he said you have to work "like a dog '' and he would rather take the 9 to 5 job @ Qantas....hard to belive...wasted opportunities...but at the end of the day he's enjoying it....:)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
do u think its worth it to do a combined sci/bus course at uts

or

do sci 1/2/3 yr at syd then transfer into psychology

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i dont know specifically when u can transfer

i thought either u transfer after 1 yr or wait until u complete psy as a major

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Giant Lobster said:
Also I know combining Law with engineering would be pure suicide (from what I hear, engineering is arguably the hardest course, and law is pretty demanding already)
Ha! *dissolves into coughing fit* what a joke! try 32 hours a week, plus non paid work experience in the holidays, learning 10 times the amount of stuff med students learn in a course thats a year shorter! spend a few days down in the vet faculty man, that'll put engineering into perspective for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)