is it a good idea to do 3U+4U maths in one year at TAFE if I've only done 2U? (1 Viewer)

SlaveGeorge

HSC
N/A
*Magical Kebab, I tried but he did not allow me because he says it is too late. I also asked the head teacher.

*Makematics, I did not do well in my first exam so the maximum I can get is 88. I want to do that. I wanted to know if it was a good idea to finish the 2U maths
textbook this term so that next term I can focus on year 11 maths and by term 4, I will be like any other 3U/4U maths.

*Braintic, do you think if I get over 90% for my yearly, I should consider doing 3U/4U maths at TAFE? What mark should I be getting if I want to consider doing 3U only?

*Carrotsticks, The TAFE course starts in February. What do you mean the feedback was quite poor?

If I am first internally, can I get a mark over 90 if I do well externally as well?

If I drop 2 subjects at school, I will be on 8 units. If I tell my school that I am doing subjects at TAFE the following year, can I do 8 units for the rest of 2013 and then in 2014, have 10 units because of TAFE?

Last edited:

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
I want to teach maths because I am doing really well in 2U and I love maths now. There are some advanced units I want to do that require 4U maths.
2u=/=4u
To the point that I'm sure most guys at my school (neither private nor selective) getting 50ish Raws in 4u would get 95~100 with a lot less effort in a 2u test.
Well actually I know that for sure, that's what they did last year when they accelerated 2u.
I hope that's not too harsh, it just seems that you expect to do well in 4u because you're doing we'll in 2u... And you can't really assume that, it's like saying- hey I survived a 1metre fall, so ill survive a 10m fall.

Also, my own 4u math teacher only took 3u in HS.
Also, there are always bridging courses right.
You shouldn't push yourself into a much more demanding course (2x the units, 10x the study) just because its a prerequisite.

Take a week, learn some of the course by yourself, see if you can handle it, if you can- tafe probably isn't the best place to take it, but I can't think of another way (...bridging course?).

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
*Magical Kebab, I tried but he did not allow me because he says it is too late. I also asked the head teacher.

*Makematics, I did not do well in my first exam so the maximum I can get is 88. I want to do that. I wanted to know if it was a good idea to finish the 2U maths
textbook this term so that next term I can focus on year 11 maths and by term 4, I will be like any other 3U/4U maths.

*Braintic, do you think if I get over 90% for my yearly, I should consider doing 3U/4U maths at TAFE? What mark should I be getting if I want to consider doing 3U only?

*Carrotsticks, The TAFE course starts in February. What do you mean the feedback was quite poor?

If I am first internally, can I get a mark over 90 if I do well externally as well?

If I drop 2 subjects at school, I will be on 8 units. If I tell my school that I am doing subjects at TAFE the following year, can I do 8 units for the rest of 2013 and then in 2014, have 10 units because of TAFE?
I've heard this question asked a few times at school, does anyone know the answer? :)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I've heard this question asked a few times at school, does anyone know the answer? :)
If you are first internally, you are in the pool for first in the state.

So yes, you definitely can get over 90.

Jay123

HSC
I was in a similar situation this year too. I was quite good in 5.3 maths in yr10, averaging about 90%, but my teacher said I should have done general for some reason, which really brought down my morale. Other students that were recommended for general, still went ahead and picked 3u. This year i managed to rank within the top 5, mind that the 4 above me are moving up to 4u, so I have quite a good chance of coming 1st internally. I also beat 6 other 3u students, who really should be doing general. It makes me sad when I saw some people who are doing 3u, as they couldnt even beat me as they had been exposed to much more content. One 3u student who is failing all her 3u, and barely passing 2u, is doing 4u, and she cant even understand basic concepts. I was asking around if I could be able to pick it up, but people said its quite unlikely. I am really dissapointed with my school, since they couldnt even give proper advice to me, and just students who were favoured into 3u rather than those who could potentially get a band 6. I feel really depressed about that I couldnt do 3u, but there will always be other opportunities ahead. I wouldn't recommend trying to pick up 3u, they go through most of the course content again at the start of uni, and there are bridging course too so don't despair. I hope everything works out with your career paths.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)