Is it a good idea to transfer from UNSW to ANU? (1 Viewer)

EdmondDW

HSC
Currently, I study Biotechnology in UNSW...Just finish the first semester~
I wish to transfer to ANU to continue my study...
My first semester's result is a little strange...some r quite high...and some r not very good~

==================================================
T1 BABS1201 Molecules, Cells and Genes.......84 DN
T1 BIOS1301 Ecology and sustainability.......74 CR
T1 CHEM1011 Fundamentals of Chem 1A..........96 HD
T1 MATH1031 Mathematics for Life Sciences....94 HD
================================================== ======

Term WAM: 87.000 Overall WAM: 87.000 Undergraduate

Next semester, I will do chem1B, statistics,introductory of Biotech and Inorganic chemistry(which is a secondary chem, since I got quite high in chem1A, I got the permission of chem professor to do this course)...

I prefer the research atmosphere in ANU~
If I transfer to ANU after the first year, can I entry the second year directly(the same major biotech...)
And my major in UNSW is 4 years including honor year...so what about ANU's honor degree?

Thanx for ur suggestions~:read:

Last edited:

I am here!

HSC
N/A
Stay another year at UNSW and transfer into the ANU Ph.B. course at the start of next year.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I am here! said:
Stay another year at UNSW and transfer into the ANU Ph.B. course at the start of next year.
You're best off emailing or calling the faculty of science as to which courses you'll be able to get transfer credit for. I know that most faculties have standardised tables of courses from most Australian universities that they grant credit for, so you should be able to get a quick reply. I suggest calling the faculty of science on 6125 2809. You'll get a faster response if it's over the phone! 12 units of first year chemistry are compulsary in all biotechnology majors and I'm sure that you'll get transfer credit for your Chem 1 and 2 courses at least.

Here are some links for you to check out:

School of Biochem and Molecular Biology - http://www.anu.edu.au/bambi/
Phb and Distinguished Scholars Program (i.e. research related stuff for undergrads) - http://science.anu.edu.au/UnderGraduate/Programs/index.php#Dis

Information on B Biotech - http://studyat.anu.edu.au/programs/3605XBBIOT;overview.html

Or if you want to go the B Sci route here are a list of the courses and subjects required for each major in biotechnology, molecular biology, botany and zoology - http://www.anu.edu.au/bambi/Copy of BvL2BIOL_Planner_2008.xls

If you do want to move down to Canberra, you should start thinking about your accomodation in a month or two as well!

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
EdmondDW said:
I prefer the research atmosphere in ANU~
i'll tell ya the truth mate, and i'm not sugar-coating it... if you're an undergrad at ANU you don't really get exposed to the "research" atmosphere. undergrad at ANU's pretty similar to any undergrad at a G8 uni.

it's when you do honours/masters/phd/phB, THAT'S when you'll get exposed to the research-prowess of ANU.

so my advice - if you're transferring to ANU for its "research atmosphere", you'd want to enrol in a pHB and nothing else.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
jas0nt said:
i'll tell ya the truth mate, and i'm not sugar-coating it... if you're an undergrad at ANU you don't really get exposed to the "research" atmosphere. undergrad at ANU's pretty similar to any undergrad at a G8 uni.

it's when you do honours/masters/phd/phB, THAT'S when you'll get exposed to the research-prowess of ANU.

so my advice - if you're transferring to ANU for its "research atmosphere", you'd want to enrol in a pHB and nothing else.
Dude, you won't get exposed to such an atmosphere at any uni until you are a graduate student, regardless of where you are studying. PhB is a pretty good alternative until graduate studies.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
maybe i should have put (or any other uni for that matter)...

EdmondDW

HSC
I have sent an email to the ANU's science faculty...After telling them my first semester's result...they suggest me to take PhB degree in ANU, and give me Dr Paula Newitt's email...
Then I sent an email to Dr Paula Newitt...seems no respond now...I am waiting~Hmmm...:hammer:

I am here!

HSC
N/A
EdmondDW said:
I have sent an email to the ANU's science faculty...After telling them my first semester's result...they suggest me to take PhB degree in ANU, and give me Dr Paula Newitt's email...
Then I sent an email to Dr Paula Newitt...seems no respond now...I am waiting~Hmmm...:hammer:
She's nice- I know her son.

/pulls strings

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
contact this person:

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~ormerod/

she's the sub-dean of science and was rather helpful when i was emailing her about my science degree. just say someone from the science office gave you her name. if you go to the ANU advisory day she's always sitting at the science booth ready to answer prospective students' questions so i'm pretty sure she'll know her stuff about science degrees.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Sammy-Blue said:
Dude, you won't get exposed to such an atmosphere at any uni until you are a graduate student, regardless of where you are studying. PhB is a pretty good alternative until graduate studies.
You get as much of a "research" atmosphere in PhB as you want, really. I have a friend doing 2nd yr PhB physics who did an advanced studies course at RSPhys at ANU and came up with original experimental results that'll be published for a conference in Adelaide at the end of the year. I'm guessing that's got to count for something...

EdmondDW

HSC
Thanks for all ur peeps' help~

Probably, I will stay in UNSW until finishing the honour year...
Since I got pretty good result for the second semester's courses, and my coordinator told me that I will be invited into talented student programme in UNSW, which is pretty same as PhB degree in ANU~

Anyway, thanks~:read:

Kyroth***

HSC
Just a thought... You might wanna beware, if you transfer to ANU, your grades will drop. That's not because transfering is hard or anything, it's cos ANU is tougher. An HD at ANU is 80 or above, and they're NOT easy to get. I know people who got 96 UAIs and who get a Credit average - that's 60-70. ANU grades are tougher than other unis, so just beware if you trasfer - you probably won't be getting any more 90s.

EdmondDW

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
Just a thought... You might wanna beware, if you transfer to ANU, your grades will drop. That's not because transfering is hard or anything, it's cos ANU is tougher. An HD at ANU is 80 or above, and they're NOT easy to get. I know people who got 96 UAIs and who get a Credit average - that's 60-70. ANU grades are tougher than other unis, so just beware if you trasfer - you probably won't be getting any more 90s.
Yeah~I heard that, probably because ANU is a strict research uni~
But I got 95+ for some courses, doesn't mean it is easy to get high mark in UNSW...It is because I am the top one or top two in the whole 500 or 600 students...

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Kyroth*** said:
true this. it is certainly not impossible if you want a HD average (i've got a mate doing engineering who duxed his highschool with 99.90) and got all HD's throughout his first 3 semesters. but boy does he work hard for it (think 8 hours of study daily, keeping obsessively organised, you name it)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
EdmondDW said:
Yeah~I heard that, probably because ANU is a strict research uni~
But I got 95+ for some courses, doesn't mean it is easy to get high mark in UNSW...It is because I am the top one or top two in the whole 500 or 600 students...
some courses you're competing against with honours students and phb students who are fighting to keep above 90 so they can keep their scholarships. other courses (especially in school of economics/statistics/finance) you are competing with masters students doing the same course as you.

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
You only need an 80 average to keep your average for PhB. National Undergraduate Scholarship holders only need a 70 average.

And it's quite possible to get straight HDs and keep sane - my lowest mark has been 84 over four semesters but I still have a pretty busy social life. No idea how many hours a day study, but it'd be a lot less than 8 hours...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)