is it a mistake to do a commerce degree if i did no commerce/business/etc. at school? (1 Viewer)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Re: is it a mistake to do a commerce degree if i did no commerce/business/etc. at sch

no, definitely not. it is however a mistake to do a commerce degree without having any idea of what you want to major in and why.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: is it a mistake to do a commerce degree if i did no commerce/business/etc. at sch

No.

Commerce at uni does not require you to have done commerce/economics/business in high school. It may help a little bit for the first half of the first semester particularly with some basic concepts and whether or not you're genuinely interested in it, but other than that, it won't do much. I know plenty of people who did nothing relevant in high school but did well in commerce at uni.

Ultimately, do something which you have an interest in.

studlyf

HSC

no, definitely not. it is however a mistake to do a commerce degree without having any idea of what you want to major in and why.
sweet, thanks. i definitely want to major in marketing

enoilgam

HSC

No.

Commerce at uni does not require you to have done commerce/economics/business in high school. It may help a little bit for the first half of the first semester particularly with some basic concepts and whether or not you're genuinely interested in it, but other than that, it won't do much. I know plenty of people who did nothing relevant in high school but did well in commerce at uni.

This pretty much - you dont need to have done any business related courses in High School for a Commerce/Business degree. It can help a little bit though - like HSC economics helped me with a decent amount of first year economics, but it was useless for second year economics courses. From what I have heard, Business Studies helps a little with a few first year subjects (mangement, marketing etc), but overall it doesnt make a huge difference. To put it simply, having done some business related courses in High School can give you a little bit of an advantage for first year subjects BUT not having done them wont put you at a disadvantage.

studlyf

HSC

No.

hmmm thanks, ill just have to work extra hard for the first semester then i guess

studlyf

HSC

This pretty much - you dont need to have done any business related courses in High School for a Commerce/Business degree. It can help a little bit though - like HSC economics helped me with a decent amount of first year economics, but it was useless for second year economics courses. From what I have heard, Business Studies helps a little with a few first year subjects (mangement, marketing etc), but overall it doesnt make a huge difference. To put it simply, having done some business related courses in High School can give you a little bit of an advantage for first year subjects BUT not having done them wont put you at a disadvantage.
yay thanks, commerce should be fun then

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I think you'll find that the depth of content in uni, even if you've covered it before in high school, is very different. Yes you may have heard of a SWOT analysis or you may have seen how government intervention moves the supply/demand curves, but by the time you get to exam time, you'll be needing to do a much more thorough and detailed analysis of whatever is presented. Putting this in perspective, I did reasonably well in economics in the HSC (89) but then I actually found the final exam for microeconomics really hard because I hadn't studied or prepared enough- due to me thinking I would survive on my HSC knowledge.

ps. The above discussions also applies to TAFE accounting. It teaches you how to do journal entries but won't teach you the more complex concepts which you cover off in later years if you choose to major in it.

inJust

HSC

Definitely not

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

You should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)