• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it advisable to have Lectures immediately after each other? (2 Viewers)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
If you have the option to do Lectures immediately after each other should you do it or is it better to have a rest between each of them? Also, by the time you get to the other room you may be a little late. Do the lectures mind it if you are a little late? Damn, I have asked so many questions lately:eek:.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Lectures usually start 5 minutes after the set time, and finish 5 minutes before the set time. Theres plenty of time to get from one lecture to another.

How many hours you have straight is up to you - some people can't stand more than 3 hours straight, some people thrive working longer hours.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
yeah, it is a good idea to have consecutive lectures, as long as they don't go for too long..I got stuck with 6 hours of consecutive class from 3-9pm semester 1 last year and it wasn't fun

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
So when does everyone think it is better to go to classes? In the morning, during the middle of the day or at night:)?

sunny

meh.
HSC
I like middle classes...don't have to wake up early...nor do you stay till late.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
mine are pretty consecutive, eg tuesday i start @ 11, go til 5 have an hour off then 6-8, so i have like 6 hrs in a row pretty much, plus another at the end, but there wasnt a whole heap i could do about it, but i dont mind, coz i get fridays off

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i use to have 9 hour days.. at it looks like if i go to macq i will have a another 9 hour day.

i'd say you shoul dhave a few classes clumped together, say 3 or 4 hours, then a break. but try to have a mix of lectures and tutes cuz if its all lectures then your bound to fall asleep!! oh and you can eat in lectures, provided that the lecture room is pretty big and that your quiet about it!! :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I don't like the idea of consecutive lectures because I've not had to write continuously since year 4. Not counting the HSC of course.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
I hate my timetable, 5 hour break between lectures on monday, and in second session only 1 one hour lecture on friday!!! They should move it so I only have to attend uni for 3 days :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Have you scheduled your tutes and labs yet? You can always put those in your break to take up the breaks and maybe free up a day.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you have a break between every lecture you will be spending a lot of unecessary time at UNI! I think 3-4 hours of classes and then a break is pretty reasonable. Personally I like having the morning full of classes and then arvos free, it's hard concentrating in the afternoon, and I hate leaving UNI when it's already getting dark, it feels depressing.

(all you lucky ppl...we don't get any say in our timetable! We just get given it-like it or lump it.)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
just a note..if u know what locations ur lectures are held at, that might also influence ur decision to schedule them consectively...because it might be a trek from one end of campus to another if they are far apart...I remember having 5 mins to walk from lower campus to the top of campus at UNSW (thats about a 1km walk)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yeah, UTS is good in that everything's within a block, and most lectures are in Tower - the building in the center of campus.

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Yes i had 5 hours in a row from 9am-2pm on a monday which was hectic. The worse part was the commerce lectures/tutes took place on one side of usyd and the arts units wer on the other side. and usyd camperdown campus is huge so yeah distance is a factor.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Usually not....but if there are distruptions from people they might get angry..varies from lecturer to lecturer.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think if you sneak in quietly it shouldnt matter

oh, but remember to turn your phone off, i know some uni people and they said (it could all be bullshit though) that if your phone rings they can get pretty pissed off, or they will answer it and start talking away (how embarrassing).

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
argh i have one day where i have lecutures continously from 9-1 and then 3-5 and a seminar 5-8. hectic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)