Is it bad.... (1 Viewer)

Adrian.

HSC
Is it bad to make mistakes in maths? I mean when I'm doing an exercise out of a textbook I'll do a question check the answer and 35% of the time it's wrong, I then go back and do it again and about 5% of the time it's wrong again. I usually have it right by the third go. I'm guessing this is bad because I won't be able to check the answers in an exam so what can I do to fix this. Buy another textbook and do questions out of that too?
BTW I'm using Cambridge 2 Unit Yr. 11.

lil princess

HSC
Getting a question right may be good - and you'll feel good - but i don't think that getting some questions wrong is necessarily the worst thing. My teacher always tells us that by getting a question wrong you can actually learn more...as long as you go back through your answer when you realise its wrong and try to find the error, or attempt the question using another strategy...and most importantly learn from your mistakes - then i wouldn't be too concerned. The second time round you said that your getting just about all of them right.

I

Iota

It's never wrong to be wrong, in maths.

You need to consider your speed, though. If you know all the material off by heart and are zooming through them, then maybe slow down a bit when you do them. If you are very slow at them, then the reason you are making mistakes is because you don't REALLY know the material (it's not autonomous), and hence, keep practicing!

Affinity

HSC
in exams you try to keep up the pace.. but when you are doing exercises, you should slow down to the point that you are not making mistakes.. that pays off in the long run

posterboy142

HSC
u shouldn't worry because it looks like ur improving everytime u r doing qs, just u would need more practice than others

Lexi

HSC
N/A
How can you expect to be brilliant at it first go? (Unless you're the chick that sits next to me ... *Growls*) My maths tutor says that everytime I'm wrong, it shows my weaknesses, and if I can figure out where I went wrong quickly, then its better experience for checking my answers in the actual test. *Shrugs* It's working so far ...

Just don't get stressed out now ... Wait until the Sunday before! ^-^

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I used to be the same as you at the beginning of the hsc year, in my first ext 1 test i lost 30% because of mistakes and ended up with 52%. Now im getting mid 90s. Moral of the story: practice makes perfect

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Sometimes I went wrong in the answer only, not a prob with the working out though. As already said try to take your time, if time allows it double check the answer/calculation. All easier said than done, esp. when your sitting the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)