Is it better to back up original concepts? (1 Viewer)

Millie37

HSC
As my related texts for belonging i currently have the piture book - The Arrival by Shaun Tan and of course, Romulus my Father.
Both texts discuss and show the notions of belonging through the migrant experience and the importance of family.

As my second related text I am not sure whether to choose Spirited away, a Japanese animation about a girl who is forced to work in the spirit world, a place where she in no way belongs and is forced to work in order to save her parents. By the end, Chihiro (the main charcter) belongs in both worlds, gaining new friends, experiences and a heightened sense of who she is. Again, spirited away involes a travel experience and fitting into a completly new place and also the importance of family but at the same time it is hard to pinpoint certain scenes which show this.

I also believe the Japanese animation Princess Mononoke has strong concepts relating to that of belonging. But this movie is about a prince who is cursed when he fights a demon, he flees his town to search for the answer and to view the world through eyes unclouded by hate. In the process he meets a girl who does not belong to the human clan but to a clan of wolves and together the prince and the wolf girl (princess mononoke) join together and save a forest that is in danger. In this way, two characters who dont belong in the world, belong together and work together for hte greater good. It also involves an importance sense of belonging to land, nature and where you come from.

What do you think?
re reading this it kinda looks like a bunch of mumbo jumbo.
But i think the point I am trying to say is I was wondering if it is better to or back up the original ideas of belonging given in the first text?
Or is it better to introduce new concepts in your related texts?
What are your texts? let me know what you think?

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
new concepts. and see if you can link them somehow by saying something like 'alternately this text shows a different view of belonging by...' it lets the marker know that you've actually THOUGHT about your texts in several different ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)