Is it fair that the future of an austrailan is born before they are? (1 Viewer)

big_shoes2fill

Im sorry for those that know me, but im eager to avoid study and raise an issue that has been bugging me for some time.

I was born and bred in Westerns Sydney, unfamiliar with the culture of north, south (and even east) Sydney and especially unfamiliar with the achademic privileges of attending a private school or selevctive school.

Attending public schools all my life, it was also shock for me to hear that the principal of kings school was complaining about how the proposed cuts by labor would mean that they cant afford a museum curator.

The hsc is supposed to be equal, none more advantaged than the other.

Moreover, those who are disadvanted never climb the social ladder high enough to have a voice and inspark change.

it sucks.

Adrian.

HSC
It sure does suck... but that's life, deal with it. *

*I've never been to a private or selective school. Public my whole life.

**Also I think people who attend selective schools should have advantages (they have to be smart to be there).

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
big_shoes2fill said:
Im sorry for those that know me, but im eager to avoid study and raise an issue that has been bugging me for some time.

I was born and bred in Westerns Sydney, unfamiliar with the culture of north, south (and even east) Sydney and especially unfamiliar with the achademic privileges of attending a private school or selevctive school.

Attending public schools all my life, it was also shock for me to hear that the principal of kings school was complaining about how the proposed cuts by labor would mean that they cant afford a museum curator.

Moreover, those who are disadvanted never climb the social ladder high enough to have a voice and inspark change.

it sucks.
A museum curator? o_O

I go to a private school, and we sure as hell don't have one of those. Hahahah, we shit over Kings too academically :D

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
big_shoes2fill said:

it sucks.
Heh you complain about going to a Western Sydney school...remember, you are still in Sydney, you can still travel to Sydney, you have resources at your finger tips if you can be arsed to go get them.

I live 7 hours from Sydney, I go to a REAL rural school. You have nothing to complain about until you've experienced one of these.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
I goto Selective, but I agree with you, I think it needs to be more equal across the board - but that really smart people (i.e. People at James Ruse) should get the chance to excel in a learning environment of a selective school.

And only, what? 15 or so of the state's schools are selective?*

* Total stab in the dark at the number

astro

HSC
big_shoes2fill said:

maybe not a good example, but mark latham came from a socio economically disadvantaged background and he's climbed the social ladder and reached opposition leader - which isn't too bad at all. Even though he did go to Hurlstone, it takes work to climb that 'social ladder'...and i suppose the kids who come from affluent backgrounds have a head start, but that doesn't mean we can't....

although it helps to be rich, a poor person can also "voice and inspark change."

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
no use whingeing about things we cant directly change now.
if your real shitty about the prob, study hard, do well in your hsc, then DO something about it.
sure some areas and schools have an obvious advantage over others, but what can you do? whingeing sure as hell wont help.
studying has made me bitchy.
sorry. i'll be nice to you after its all over.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I went to a public school very close to mt druitt, i've now moved to private however.
The school was fine.

What school you go to doesn't change ur future that much... only YOU determine your future :)

J

jhakka

School wouldn't really make too much of a difference if you just get 100% in all your exams.

So just get 100%.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stop complaining.

Paul Keating was a high school dropout.

Stop telling yourself fate gave you a band hand, and start working towards something to better yourself. Use peoples perceptions as fuel for determination.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
in addition, you should consider yourself lucky in australia. in some countries, there are children who pick at rubbish dumps for a living and eat rats, let alone getting an education.

think about it, if some fag is now in charge of the country, i'm sure anyone can work for it to be a better one

Plebeian

Also, selective schools are public schools. We don't get extra resources (if we do, not much extra) and so I don't think we're really advantaged in any particular way. Selective schools get better results because they have brighter students; if you looked at "value-added" through high-school, many comprehensive schools might actually be doing better. In any case, I think everyone does have a relatively equal chance of doing well. Super-rich private schools can't spend money on making students brighter, it goes into museums and rugby fields or whatever which are pretty but ultimately don't really help HSC results (Kings is proof of that).

smallcattle

HSC
Techie said:
Also, selective schools are public schools. We don't get extra resources (if we do, not much extra) and so I don't think we're really advantaged in any particular way. Selective schools get better results because they have brighter students; if you looked at "value-added" through high-school, many comprehensive schools might actually be doing better. In any case, I think everyone does have a relatively equal chance of doing well. Super-rich private schools can't spend money on making students brighter, it goes into museums and rugby fields or whatever which are pretty but ultimately don't really help HSC results (Kings is proof of that).
I disagrees. Selective schools ppl do get extra resources, by receiving harder questions, teaching by better experienced teachers, by providing learning environment and peer pressures. Thats what I call a good education!! not some dumbares schools which doesnt even give out work to do, and teachers just bludge with the students. I admit that if people try hard, eventually they will get what they deserve. But people tends to do more work and compete with other people when they are forced to.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I also disagree, over half of the students in selective schools get coaching to get there, which means that many ppl who would have been smart enough to get in naturally miss out because they cant afford this coaching. The "higher" selective schools - eg. Ruse, are at an advantage in terms of better teachers etc, and the general attitude at the school is better. If you go to a school where no one really wants to study or do well, it doesnt matter how hard you work, you will always be at a disadvantage simply because of your peers. Selective school and private schools scale better - ask the BOS!

I also disagree that some rural school are at a disadvantage. yes some are underfunded and have no resources, but most have just as much as your average suburban public school. What advantages do we get by living close to the city? Access to uni libraries? for the subjects i did at school (mostly sciences and maths), these were of no use to me whatsoever. Everything is online these days anyway, so as long as you have a computer, you are pretty much set, and cant complain about lack of access to information.

smallcattle said:
I disagrees. Selective schools ppl do get extra resources, by receiving harder questions, teaching by better experienced teachers, by providing learning environment and peer pressures. Thats what I call a good education!! not some dumbares schools which doesnt even give out work to do, and teachers just bludge with the students. I admit that if people try hard, eventually they will get what they deserve. But people tends to do more work and compete with other people when they are forced to.

chardie2

big_shoes2fill said:

it sucks.
I completely disagree with this it's all in your own drive if you want to do something or be someone you can it doesn't matter what school you went to or what mark you got in the HSC.

Someone I know when to a very poor public school, dysfunctional family, dropped out in year 10, did a trade and now twenty years later he is a national manager of a company.

another example of a man I know he grew up in an orphange had no parents didnt even go to school and he worked as a tradey asked for a pay rise one day was was refused therefore he started his own business and now he is a multimillionaire.

Don't doubt yourself. Have faith and you can achieve whatever you want no matter what school or what mark.

DONT BE SO NEGATIVE.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
'if it is to be, it's up to me'... we have the power to change our lives no matter what our circumstances are! I go to a public school- but heck it's a good one! I don't necessarily think all selective schools have all of the best teachers- coz we've got some really good one's at my school, who are awesome and very dedicated to their job! I woudn't leave my school and go to a private one if i was paid to!
However, i do agree that there are some inequalities within the state school system. Realistically, there are some kids that are pushed by their parents from day one to succeed academically, it's a fact. Those kids don't get to choose whether they want to go to coaching and whatever. It's those kids that usually make it into our selective school's. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this, but they get an advantage over other kids whose parents don't push them at all. It's no one's fault- but it happens
There's no way to solve any of the problems, coz no matter what anyone tries to do to change it, someone else will have a whinge and complain about it because it's not fair to them! e.g. The whole giving more money to public schools and not so much to private schools.. government proposed this and private schools had a whinge!

Where did it ever say that "everyone will be treated as equal"??

In any kind of situation,

For people to be better than others, there have to be people who are worse than others.

No one wants to be equal. Especially those in power.

Everyone being equal does not work, you have to have people in higher advantage points than you. It makes you see what is available if you try and sucsseed.

If you believe in communism, just have a look at all its failures. Thank the people who goto private schools, they show you what you can give your children, and make you strive for it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This is just stupid, it's a load of BS that when your born your future is decided.
There's alot of people born into rich familes that become poor, alot of people born into poor families that become rich, alot of people that go to public schools in western sydney that end up being professors, alot of people that went to selective schools on the north shore that end up driving cabs.

In the end it's all up to the individual and their drive. To me the person who made this thread, and those who agreed with it obviously don't have the drive at the moment to make much of themselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)