Is It Hard To Get A Band 5 In This Subject? (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
lets say I maintain a rank of 2/12 and an assessment mark average of 70, is it still possible to get a band 5 if I do good in the HSC exam?

Beege

HSC
oh ok sweet thx for that, i'll still aim high in my internal assessments though

Beege

HSC
its gonna take alot to beat the first place candidate, 20% difference in our marks in the last assessment we did

Beege

HSC
better focus on maths and english heaps lol, thx for that

powcy

HSC
Musk said:
asians r smart bcoz they fucking study their arses off

btw if u want a uai of 87+ u MUST ace general maths n standard english otherwise when it comes to scaling ur gonna b so anal raped
Firstly, Musk, not all Asians study their lil hinies off. I'm Asian and I don't think I'm study-obsessed ;)

Anyways. Beege, your rank is good at the moment, but as for calculation of UAI, you need to also consider the distance between your rank and the ones above and below you. From what I can deduce that looks good, too. Now, if you stay like that, or better still, get better, you have a fairly good chance of obtaining a Band 5 if you do similarly well in the exam.

However, when it comes to the UAI, this also depends on a lot of other things:

- Your cohort's results
- How your school compare with other schools (as seen by the HSC exam marks)
- Most of all, the difficulty of your subject (for example, I got a Band 6 in SOR1, and a Band 5 in Physics, and a Band E3 in MX1. They needed 2 units for calculation out of these, and they took my MX, and half my Physics). Physics, for example, is hard, and it's difficult to get a Band 5 in that. Likewise for MX's and other hard subjects...

Hope that helps. And if I've given useless info, forgive me for using up space.

Beege

HSC
well i go to a school that's not in the top 200 and most of my cohort drink a fair bit lol, our school is not average but it is above average and about 10 ppl got a UAI over 90 in 2005 at my school.

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
this is how it works:

EXAM MARK = your external exam mark, scaled

ASSESSMENT MARK = someone's assessment that has been moderated, based on scaling, if you rank 1st, then you get the 1st moderated asess mark, rank 2nd, second so forth,

your ranking determines your asessment mark and because exam marks from the external and cohort moderate your mark, then the assess mark usually reflects or is there abouts the same as the exam mark

its sort of confusing, but just look at someone's HSC mark if you can and their class

its possible to either get a better or worse asses mark then your external dependin on your ranking, that is why ranking is so important

its best to aim first or second because your always going to be gaurenteed a high assess mark, well relative to the external marks

you should just try to even up the gap in internal assessments and make sure your in the top tier group in your classes

it worked for my chem , 3 people out of 16 got a uai of over 90 and most of the kids in my chem class got band 3~5, a couple got band 1's

Last edited:

Beege

HSC
k i'll aim for the highest ranks possible in all my subjects, thank you

NeoKyo

gstains ghetto! represent
HSC
hey once again i just remmebered, even though the gap may be substancial in internal assessments, as long as you can work as hard or have a better ability then the guy ranked ahead of you then it should be good

like for english advanced, i got an internal assess mark of about 82~83 raw, and was ranked 4th
my mate who got first rank got an internal of about 94~96 ish

when the moderated results arrived he got a final mark of 85 and i got a final mark of 83 XD

but he did a uai of 98.6 and i got 94.5 ;p

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Beege said:
k i'll aim for the highest ranks possible in all my subjects, thank you
I don't know why you wouldn't.

I'm first in my SDD class, and there is a bit of a dogfight between me and another guy for first and second. I've beaten him in everything so far, which is good. Anyway, if the rest of my class fail the subject (which they likely will, with maybe one excpetion), will that have much of a bearing with my scaling etc in regards to my UAI, even though there will more than likely be the 2 of us very close at the top?

LatK7

HSC
bringbackshred said:

I'm first in my SDD class, and there is a bit of a dogfight between me and another guy for first and second. I've beaten him in everything so far, which is good. Anyway, if the rest of my class fail the subject (which they likely will, with maybe one excpetion), will that have much of a bearing with my scaling etc in regards to my UAI, even though there will more than likely be the 2 of us very close at the top?
I'm in a similar situation...

Except there's about 5 guys that could end up 1st. Rats.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
bringbackshred said:

if your final rank is first, you will not be pulled down by the perfomance of your classmates. however, if there is a group of you that are very close, and you all continue to work consistently and go well in the hsc then you will not be affected by the bottom few. however, obivously trying to get the number one rank is the safest option.

i was in a similar position to you - at the start of year 12 there were about 4 of us really bunched up. However what I found was that the half-yearly and especially the trial exams really separated people because it is more difficult to go well in an exam than an assessment. So it is imperative that you have good exam technique - do lots of practice questions, look at the marking criterias, show your teacher - try to master writing lots and answering the question very clearly now so that when the exams come around it will be second nature to you.

If you've done your half yearly now, go through it, look at where you lost marks and then redo those questions - learning from your mistakes is one of the most effective ways of getting ahead.

hope this helps and good luck for the rest of year 12!!

BoyNextDoor

HSC
I hope I get a band 5 for this subject.
Although I don't do really well in the exams though, the major ones. The small topic exams I do great it though.

Graceofgod

HSC
BoyNextDoor said:
I hope I get a band 5 for this subject.
Although I don't do really well in the exams though, the major ones. The small topic exams I do great it though.
Wow, you really take my bumping to a new level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)