Is it ideal to have a study plan for the HSC? (1 Viewer)

albeitunique

HSC
... and if so whats the best way to do it?

I'm ADHD and I tend to procrastinate a lot (I'm meant to be doing my english assignment now).

What do you guys think? I really want to do well this year. I'm prepared to work, but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, it depends on the person but I try to avoid setting it out like "Time 1: English, Time 2: History...etc" but try do it "Time 1: Shower, Time 2: Study, Time 3: Dinner, Time 4: Free Time, Time 5: Study, Time 6: Sleep...etc".

I find the second one more effective since it doesn't force you to do a specific subject but allows you to do what you need to do.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure everyone procrastinates. A study plan isn't essential, but it might help. I could never stick to one.

Aysce

HSC
Make a list of what to do rather than a timetable! It is so much more flexible and you can benefit much more. Although it is all relative.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Study plans never worked for me. Too many contingencies came up in my life. They may help you to do a bit more study, but you probably could never fit it to a T. Also just having time generically to study instead of trying to subject it, because at certain times, some subjects need more attention.

To do lists are where its at.

Aysce

HSC
Study plans never worked for me. Too many contingencies came up in my life. They may help you to do a bit more study, but you probably could never fit it to a T. Also just having time generically to study instead of trying to subject it, because at certain times, some subjects need more attention.

<3 Highly recommended. I've tried many study techniques but I have found to-do lists to be the most effective.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, it depends on the person but I try to avoid setting it out like "Time 1: English, Time 2: History...etc" but try do it "Time 1: Shower, Time 2: Study, Time 3: Dinner, Time 4: Free Time, Time 5: Study, Time 6: Sleep...etc".

I find the second one more effective since it doesn't force you to do a specific subject but allows you to do what you need to do.

^ Agreed.

Goal-based studying is better than time-based studying.

delian

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure everyone procrastinates. A study plan isn't essential, but it might help. I could never stick to one.
I wrote up study timetables, but I too found it hard to stick to it.

SanjoyM

HSC
Yes! By far, to do lists are the most helpful and refrain you from veering away from the task/s.
Timetables never really worked for me! Very hard to follow the order... :)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Ideal in theory but fails in practice. Somewhat like communism.

HSC
Goal-based a hundred times better. Though make sure your 'goals' are evenly spread across your subjects, and your not doing too much of your favourites and subconsciously avoiding what you hate.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Just try to do the subjects you hate the most first - in small doses with lots of breaks. Then reward yourself by doing a bit for a subject you like. Works for me

albeitunique

HSC
I think my biggest problem with study timetables is that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to do a particular subject, so I just won't.
I have so much trouble just sitting down and doing the work, but don't we all?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This is why you have goal based things - so you can choose what subject you do.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Also with lists of what you need to do, it is important to list the most important thing to do first, then 2nd important as 2nd, and so on. Or try the least favorite subjects first and favorites later.

Time tables are structured for your day, however what happens when suddenly a family member is rushed to hospital and you have to go and see them? It means abandoning your time table and it can often lead to feeling guilty too since you feel you have missed out heaps.

Another tip, when listing what you have to do, especially assignments and exams, it is ideal to set a goal for all of them. Say you have that English essay in class exam in two weeks time. Prepare earlier so it saves you last minute stress, and also make a goal such as aiming for 92%, or aim even higher! Work hard with small little goals and hopefully you will be getting better with your work!

I remind myself before I remind others, as it can be difficult to start, and it all comes down to you. So it is up to you whether you will do it or not, but best of luck!

HybridKath

More like HybriDead
HSC
I tend to make to-do lists with timeframes in which I can complete each set of tasks. I found that not putting a timeframe (e.g. 3 days) led me to procrastinating anyway.

Bobbo1

HSC
Try making a To-do list instead of a study plan, and before you get home mark the ones which you want to complete for the night. And make it a habit to complete ALL of these marked activities, however long it takes. This way your not working by looking at the clock but rather the amount of effort you put in. The biggest tip is to make these activities reasonable and achievable so that you feel a sense of accomplishment when finishing it. For example it is not worth saying "I will cram my whole English assessment in 1 night so I can check it over until the due date!" - most likely you'll end up doing nothing because you're going to be overwhelmed. But if instead your goal was to "Finish the 1st paragraph/introduction of my English assessment", you are more likely to actually do it and not procrastinate as you are :). The HSC is a long road, make sure to take it one small step at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)