Is it necessary to actually read Frankenstein? (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't read it, I don't really think you need to, I used sparknotes and google to find and some quotes and bsed some techniques and put some context in there and got some alright marks in this section.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
For History/Memory I read 50 pages of The Fiftieth Gate. In trial got 20/20 for essay.

oyuck

HSC
If you have 2 hours: Read it.

If you don't, then don't.

Seriously though, it's a short, satisfying read.

jamesfirst

HSC
Use audiobook from librivox. It's awesome. fkkkkkkkkkk yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Ideally you should read it at least once... However I'm yet to read it, I swear I'm going to start and finish it sometime during these holidays >.<

M

MichelleV

Last year a guy in my grade didnt read Hamlet.
The question on Hamlet wasn't something you would know without reading hamlet.

Fairly sure he didnt read any of the other texts either.

His English mark was atrocious because of it. Could have easily had >90 atar, but English screwed him up that bad.

Read the text= can't fail as miserably.

jenslekman

HSC
You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't read it. Really, in terms of education, you get far more out of reading the book and analysing it yourself, than using existing ntoes. The HSC doesn't necessarily reward this, and that's a failing of the specific system.
+ 1

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Read it.

You'll find some nice techniques that others might not have - something other than your usual metaphors and similes.

Abanious

HSC
N/A
i didnt read frankestein and i pulled of 18/20 in my assesment

inJust

HSC
I read it around this time last year... Really good read. Changed my life lol.

nifkeh

HSC
Well, you could do that and probably go okay. Only thing is though, it might be difficult to come up with your own idea of the text if you only know a plot summary and quotes from a secondary source. I'm not saying it isn't doable, but it's easier to come up with your own interpretation if you read the book and come up with your own quotes. Besides, it isn't really that thick a book, and if you don't like reading then why are you in Advanced English? You do have to do a bit of readin in that course.
I just came fresh out of year 11 - we did our comparative study on Emma and Clueless (it was the past syllabus' Eng Adv comparative study)

I was too lazy to read the book, I read only 35 pages out of ~400.

so when it was time to do the practice essay because the Eng teacher was demanding it I was freaking out because like I didn't read this fat book lol, so anyways, did heaps of online research, scoured some quotes, read those Excel/study guides on Emma and stuff

took like 1 day to do the whole thing (like 7 hours) plus a couple more hours going to the library and stuff.

Eng teacher marks practice essay, and actually likes it - she said it was really good (except for my lacking conclusion)

profit!

Would I do this method again: I'm doing Frankenstein & Bladerunner and personally I won't do this lazy method again because I'm a worry wart, and I hate being unprepared for things (year 11 was okay for me as I only half heartedly did things but no more now!). Besides reading the book, you form your own opinion of it, which is crucial to the essay. I spent a while on google reading lots of poop just to make up for my terrible lack of reading of the text and while it did work out, I find this more of a cramming method than a practical method, which is reading your set text.

nifkeh

HSC
I hate reading so I dont think results are linked to that. I didnt read anything - not frankenstein, not julius caesar, and not even the speeches for module B - only picked out techniques, and I did ok
come on.. speeches... I'm not even doing speeches this year, my mum told me to help out my brother with his modules, so I had to read his speeches, and I read 2 speeches in 2 days, it ain't that hard.

plus shakespeare plays are not impossible to not read, especially with a naggy eng teacher lol

gayforniall

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't read Frankenstein or watched Blade Runner. I plan on memorising quotes and yup, that's it... Frankenstein is a horrible book, I put it down after the first page.

Not as bad as Heart of Darkness though, in Prelim... I put it down after the first sentence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)