Is it necessary to 'quit'? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am possibly going to try out for a new job that is in line with my future career.
and as it will be 'full-time' im sure i wont be able to have my regular shifts at my old job, but i actually dont want to 'quit' my old job as id like to have a backup if my possible new job isnt suitable...and also i like working there :)..

so my question is...if im going for a full-time job elsewhere, is it mandatory to actually quit?..ooor can i just tell them to not give me any shifts for an indefinate amount of time (whilst telling them of this new job)...?

HSC
I'm pretty sure once you have a job, it's unconditionally yours until you die, at which point in time it's passed down to your next of kin. It doesn't change a thing if you don't actually want to work there, they keep you on the books and you're free to come and go as you choose.

You can work there once a decade if you want, and they'll still fit you in without so much as blinking an eye. The only condition is that you let them know that you've got a really good reason for putting them on the back-burner, like "I found a full time job which I'd like more than my current employment, and as such you guys are out the window. That said, I'd like to keep you as a backup, you know, sort of second preference?". They'll be cool with it for sure.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Do beware of anything in your existing contract suggesting you're not allowed to work for competitors, or anything that might similarly pose a threat to your first employers' business. ie if you worked at Myer, but then were thinking of simultaneously working for DJs... not allowed (generally).
ogmzergrush said:
I'm pretty sure once you have a job, it's unconditionally yours until you die, at which point in time it's passed down to your next of kin. It doesn't change a thing if you don't actually want to work there, they keep you on the books and you're free to come and go as you choose.
...legally, the job's yours until they've interpreted that it's reasonable you don't want to/can't/shan't, or for some other reason simply DON'T work there anymore. OR, until you resign. OR until they fire you. ie if you're casual and don't accept/get any shifts over a "reasonable" period (at one of my jobs, the policy specified that as 6 weeks).

If you're in a more restrictive employment arrangemnet -- ie full/part time -- it might be a bit more difficult for you to 'try it out'. If you've accrued leave, you could take it, but otherwise you might technically be breaching your contract to provide ongoing work, and is thus at least voidable at the employers' option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)