Is it normal to fail englsih miserably? (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
For every assesment i've recieved i've either just passed or failed. With my half yerlys i got 48%. After doing my trials i believe i got 30%. Now their is no way i can increase my enlgish marks any further. I know the work and texts really well but applying my knowledge in an assesment is really difficult. With my limited vocabulary makes it even more difficult. My ranking is about 40 / 120 or so students though. Im wondering how this will affect my UAI when when i do my HSC?

Englsih is really scary me to death!:(

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
gosh 40/120 with a mark like that??
if you fail english then you dont get a uai...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
work on your vocab then, find different phrases or ways of saying points, then figure how to use them together.

your MARK is not as relevant as your rank, but it's bad for morale..

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
yeh look up synonyms...dont use big, use large, enormous...dont use change, use transform, alteration...dont use sneaky, use surreptitious hahaha that has no relevance..[unless its for the creative response or something's being sneaky in your texts]

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
and don't say polar bear, say "ursus maritimus, a mammal from the northern hemisphere, predominant in the arctic circle"

-X-

HSC
N/A
lol thanks guys, but what do you mean by fail englsih? The overall assesment? or the HSC?

I know probably the max i can get for englsih in the HSC will be 60%.

PoLaRbEaR

The Bear
HSC
fail english as in failing to meet course requiremets...i think its your overall assessment..not sure im a little iffy abt it...someone care to clarify?

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Nah. I don't think if you get less than 50% in English you automatically do not qualify for a UAI.
If that was the case, half my grade wouldn't get a UAI.
I think if you fail to meet the course requirements such as not attending classes and not doing assessments then you fail and you don't get a UAI.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
dude, your in standard..how is it possible to fail standard? i mean, im in advanced, and on all of my assessments i have got at least 10/15 (geez, that was a total write off..), the other 3 i got 2 15's and one 13...so if i can do that in adv, how is it humanly possible to fail standard?

but back to the matter in hand, as someone else said, just revise all your terms and try to increase your vocabulary..and buy a book called 'edible english', it is really really good.

Last edited:
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
dude, your in standard..how is it possible to fail standard? i mean, im in advanced, and on all of my assessments i have got at least 10/15 (geez, that was a total write off..), the other 3 i got 2 15's and one 13...so if i can do that in adv, how is it humanly possible to fail standard?

but back to the matter in hand, as someone else said, just revise all your terms and try to increase your vocabulary..and buy a book called 'edible english', it is really really good.
well i dont think you could really say that...
i mean, i really dont understand how ppl can fail general maths let alone 2u maths!

tt_j65

HSC

oh sorry ms "im so good at advanced english" :rolleyes:

the main difference between standard and advanced english is that standard only does one less text - it is harder for the standard people to do as well as advanced as paper 1 is marked by the same teacher, regardless of class to the advanced level

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
exactly..you do one less text...therefore it should be a hell of a lot easier for you to do better, coz we have to know 4 texts inside out and back to front, you only need to know 3...therefore you should be able to dedicate more time to each text, know them better and do well.

^___^
HSC
exactly..you do one less text...therefore it should be a hell of a lot easier for you to do better, coz we have to know 4 texts inside out and back to front, you only need to know 3...therefore you should be able to dedicate more time to each text, know them better and do well.

*sigh*
we do 3 texts...but problem is, what happens if the marking criteria is strict? it doesn't matter how many text u do, the only thing that matters is how well u answered in comparsion to the markin criteria the makers set...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ...
*sigh*
we do 3 texts...but problem is, what happens if the marking criteria is strict? it doesn't matter how many text u do, the only thing that matters is how well u answered in comparsion to the markin criteria the makers set...
in my experience, the standard criteria is a lot easier than the advanced...like, last years viewing/representing task at my skool, the advanced one, most people got 4-5/15,with about 5 people getting over 10. standard kids ALL got over 10.

Last edited:

^___^
HSC
in my experience, the standard criteria is a lot easier than the advanced...like, last years viewing/representing task at my skool, the advanced one, most people got 4-5/15,with about 5 people getting over 10. standard kids ALL got over 10.
not true...how could a marking criteria be "easier"
either u answered it correctly, or u haven't...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
all i know is standard kids got marked a hell of a lot easier than advanced.

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
rubbish

thats rubbish...it depends on how creative u are.....i do standard and ive seen advance viewing/representing assessments....i personally believe my work is better than them....viewing/representing is not about hard or easy or advance or standard....its about creativity!

Last edited:

asymptote03

HSC
N/A
all i know is standard kids got marked a hell of a lot easier than advanced.
no...its just that advanced...u need a teacher....standard u dont.....also is it easy marking that we do the same paper 1 as advanced?

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
well.....i assume you are veryyyyy CREATIVE miss/mr Asymptote03.........n r very confident abt ur english skills........but i do think even standard needs a teacher......how can u say dat???? i think u r a very experienced HSC student.......r u doing the HSC for the first time or r u repeating????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)