is it normal to have 13 units? (1 Viewer)

.kumori

HSC
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could give me advice on my selection for Yr 11 subjects. I have to select them soon at my school. It would be especially helpful if anybody who has taken these subjects to give me advice pls.

The min amount of units is 12 and max units is 14 for my school.
I have decided most of them which are... (this is currently at 11 units)
  • eng adv.
  • math ext. 1
  • Japanese continuers
  • legal studies
  • chemistry
What I'm unsure about is whether I should change English to extension or take another subjects like modern history, biology or economics. These 3 subjects seems interesting to me to some extent but I feel like they have quite a bit of content. I think I'm leaning more towards taking biology or economics because I feel like it aligns more with my other subjects and probably be useful for my choice of uni degrees in the future. For me, I know I usually leave English assessment very last minute and do alright in them but I don't think I would prioritize it compared to my other chosen subjects so I'm a bit unsure how much harder is extension English compared to advance English.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could give me advice on my selection for Yr 11 subjects. I have to select them soon at my school. It would be especially helpful if anybody who has taken these subjects to give me advice pls.

• eng adv.
  • math ext. 1
  • Japanese continuers
  • legal studies
  • chemistry
What I'm unsure about is whether I should change English to extension or take another subjects like modern history, biology or economics. These 3 subjects seems interesting to me to some extent but I feel like they have quite a bit of content. I think I'm leaning more towards taking biology or economics because I feel like it aligns more with my other subjects and probably be useful for my choice of uni degrees in the future. For me, I know I usually leave English assessment very last minute and do alright in them but I don't think I would prioritize it compared to my other chosen subjects so I'm a bit unsure how much harder is extension English compared to advance English.
You can think about this in a few ways:
1. What subjects are you thinking about picking up or dropping in yr12? For example, if you were to pick up 4u math (ext2), going for 13 units may be useful so you can drop 2 subjects in yr12. Also in relation to ex1 I can't comment much on difference in level of difficulty, but that procrastination in relation to assignments may be something to consider.
2. Another thing as you said was to go about your enjoyment of the subjects you are undecided on, coupled with its likeness to subjects you've already chosen and prospective degree choices. I will note that doing hsc economics isn't that beneficial for commerce/economics degree in 1st year. That was my experience at least having done hsc economics and now doing in uni.
3. In summation I would ultimately pick a subject without having that thought that you will be dropping it come end of yr11 - pick whatever you see as you will enjoy the most and find most benefit out of taking.

jilly12

HSC
Hi,

• eng adv.
  • math ext. 1
  • Japanese continuers
  • legal studies
  • chemistry
Do you know what you want to do after school? Uni course, TAFE etc.

Remember you have 3 terms to decide what you wanna drop or take.

Maths ext1 (so far in year 11 for me) isn't much content compared to other subjects cause its only 1 unit but it is harder so you'll have to allocate sufficient amount of time to study. I reckon in the holidays before year 11 you brush up on year 10 stuff and start year 11 adv and ext. That's how I managed to ace the test last term for ext and get 29/30 topping the cohort. (there's only like 10 ppl 💀).

Chemistry on the other hand is the polar opposites of maths ext. Although the content in isn't as hard as ext, there is a lot of content. It's kinda like the class where you miss one lesson and you gotta work your ass of to catch up. So far it's been great for me I enjoy it.

Maths adv is quite a bit easier but don't neglect it like me. I got lower marks on that test than my ext 💀 luckily I still topped the class so all is well

But yeah remember year 11 is kinda like a testing phase see what you like and don't then prepare for year 12.

This is purely my perspective so it may vary for you so take that into account.

.kumori

HSC
I don't know exactly what I want to do after school. I think career field i would want to go in finance, legal (if i end up enjoying legal studies) or a job in health care that uses chemistry. <--- yeah sorry for this really unclear answer rn, im currently trying to do some research on specific job roles i think i would like.

@jilly12 what subjects are you taking currently at school?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I don't know exactly what I want to do after school. I think career field i would want to go in finance, legal (if i end up enjoying legal studies) or a job in health care that uses chemistry. <--- yeah sorry for this really unclear answer rn, im currently trying to do some research on specific job roles i think i would like.

Legal studies won’t be that helpful for law in university. I’ve done both, it’s different. Also doing say business studies or economics isn’t that helpful for a career in finance, albeit finance is very broad - much better in uni.

jilly12

HSC

Currently Im taking PDHPE, maths adv and ext1, chemistry, multimedia, English std and software engineer. Thinking of dropping software tho cause my teacher isnt that good.

From my memory, most unis don't require prerequisites anymore so you can still do what subjects you like get the a tar required and take that course I think. Not sure about medical tho that may be different. But for regional my friend literally dropped biology and some other subject in year 12 and is doing medical at unsw.

.kumori

HSC
nice bro, thank you for telling be about most uni may not require prerequisites. I had no clue about that.

jilly12

HSC
nice bro, thank you for telling be about most uni may not require prerequisites. I had no clue about that.
Sorry I may have lied there, I just did some quick research some unis like USYD are putting in a new rule or am in 2025 where if you get lower than band 4 in a maths subject (not sure if it's adv or standard) then you may not receive an offer. But so far that seems like the only uni. Unsw don't have prerequisites I believe only assumed knowledge. For instance, software engineering course in unsw has an assumed knowledge of maths ext1 so they prefer if you have it but will not matter when deciding to give you an offer. Just makes it a bit harder to start the course cause they will rush through the fundamental topics quicker.

So make sure to do some research after you decide what career and uni course you wanna take and check if they require any prerequisites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)