Is it possible for me to score a 94 ATAR? (1 Viewer)

hsc2k17

HSC
I really hope to achieve this atar, but my weakest subjects are english and business, while my stronger ones are math, senior science and chem, so please let me know what atar i can achieve or what i can do to achieve it :)
My subject ranks are;

business studies: 31/82
chemistry: 8/30
english standard: 39/140
General maths: 1/85
Senior science: 1/22

My school rank in 2016 was 260-265

Im really hoping my upcoming trials can boost my ranks for my subjects.

Thank you!! :)

Last edited:

hsc2k17

HSC
Is it possible? yes,yes,yes!

As you said, you still have Trials and on top of that you also have the HSC exam, which both have a significant stake in your ATAR. Work hard and study smart and you'll improve your ranks by heaps. At the moment, i would say you're sitting on an ATAR in the early to mid 80s - good work.

It's great you already know where your weaknesses lay. Just focus a bit more of your study time (not a lot, as you don't want to detract too much from your other subs) on English and Business, and take it easy with the rest as you seem to smashing be them :)

I know what i said above sound tough to understand: "im 1st in Gen and SS, i can't give that up!", though lemme tell you a 6th place across the board for everything will nab you a better shot at 94 than your ranks currently.

*Business is a whole lot of rote learning and memorisation + a mixture of common sense. If you're having difficulty and if you have some spare finance (see what i did there rofl) i could recommend investing in Edrolo.com. Basically, it has videos for every dot point of every topic + a case study, and the videos have been prepared by experienced HSC BS Markers (also, there are videos for Chem too). They're also about 2-4 mins each, very convenient. Also, if you should have a look at ********* Complete Course Notes which will set you back $25.00, but they're very comprehensive and have a relevant case study attached to each dot point (also they make books for General, Chem and English). Sorry if i sound like an ad, but those 2 things have really benefitted me a lot.

Good luck and i hope your study is very productive :cook:
Thank you so so much!! i needed someone to let me know that it is possible to achieve the ATAR and i will surely look into Edrolo.com. Thank you once again :)

hsc2k17

HSC
^ Don't listen to this cat 'Microsoft Word' he's going for a desired atar of 75. Your estimate is by no means in the mid 80's, based on my calculations you'd be looking at a low 90 (90-92). Just smash trials and externals, improve your standard rank into the 20's (early 20's would benefit greater) and improve your business rank to the 10's (Preferably below 15). If you achieve the above prior to externals you'd be looking at a 94 easy.
90's with these ranks?? wow that has actually boosted my confidence. I was playing around with the ATAR calculators and just hitting 80. Thank you so much for the advice! and will surely try my best to achieve those ranks. :jump:

hsc2k17

HSC
I'm sorry, my calculations were probably off then. Listen to what he said and i'm sorry if i discouraged you with my input.

Noo, you didn't discourage me. You both actually encouraged me to improve. :)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Improving business and English is your priority. They're the ones stopping you from achieving 94. If you smash externals, you'll be fine since you're first for two. You have trials to climb many ranks so try your best and don't think too much.

aidan059

HSC
^ Don't listen to this cat 'Microsoft Word' he's going for a desired atar of 75. Your estimate is by no means in the mid 80's, based on my calculations you'd be looking at a low 90 (90-92). Just smash trials and externals, improve your standard rank into the 20's (early 20's would benefit greater) and improve your business rank to the 10's (Preferably below 15). If you achieve the above prior to externals you'd be looking at a 94 easy.
im sorry, as much as I don't want to wreck your confidence, you're not quite at 90 yet, I would listen to microsoft with the low 80's. This should only make you work harder, the main killer to your estimate would be your school rank. Considering you're ranked one for 2 of your subjects, depends how well you do in externals. As well as this, there's such a limited amount of B6's in english standard, combined with the extremely low scaling senior science and limited amount of B6's in general maths. If you do really well in chemistry that can carry your atar, trust me don't take any estimate as a sign to sit back and wait. You have to carry your school if you want any chance at getting that 94.

aidan059

HSC
if you want a more accurate estimate, do you have the numbers for the amount of b6's last year?

hsc2k17

HSC
if you want a more accurate estimate, do you have the numbers for the amount of b6's last year?
Math- 10 B6
English- 3 B6
Senior- none (but we had one every year for the previous years)
Business- 2 B6 (there were a lot of band 5's last year, and many on 89)
Chemistry- 3 B6

Last edited:

The Doozy

HSC
^ Get chemistry top 3, standard as I said top 10 if possible (Top 15 may be sufficient as it's hard to estimate due to your school rank), business to top 10 and maintain those first places. With these rank i'm sure you can get that 94. Good luck with your study! :)

captainneuro

HSC
I'm sorry but I agree with Microsoft Word there, you can give hsc2k17 your 'calculations' but it does sound a bit inaccurate. Based on his ranks now that he's posted, he would be no higher than late 80's. Not trying to discourage you hsc2k17, but just telling you that you should really work hard for the trials as you can still achieve a 94 since you're not far from it.:cool:

Last edited:

Snowflek

HSC
I'm sorry, my calculations were probably off then. Listen to what he said and i'm sorry if i discouraged you with my input.
Microsoft don't be sorry for your input. I believe that the fact that you commented and tried to help OP, youre a very nice person. Don't be afraid to keep contributing to other posts! Everyone makes mistakes :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)