• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible to do 4 unit maths by yourself? (1 Viewer)

anigaloyan

HSC
Hi all , please help me with advise,
I am currently in year 11, and I have already started 4 unit course.
I like maths, I am doing pretty good. But the problem is the teacher, who has never taught Extension 2 , even extension 1, and he doesn't explain good, he relies on us to understand the concept by ourselves . I want to do 4 unit, but I am not sure if I can tackle everything by myself.

What do you think, is it possible, if I put a lot of effort?
Is changing the school solution to that problem?:confused:
Advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
changing schools would be a solution.
learning it by yourself could be hard. probably need a bit of guidance if u get lost, but if u dont, then you should be fine.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
imo a teacher is essential in 4unit. The course is very hard and it is very difficult to self teach. Don't discount the teacher just because he hasn't taught 4unit before. Our 3unit teacher is teaching 3unit for the first time and he is very good.

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
changing schools wouldn't be a bad way to go if you're not confident in the teacher.

untouchablecuz

HSC
i taught myself the course (basically)

at the start its abit stressful, but as time goes on, you adapt much more quickly to new and different concepts

initially what really stumped me was volumes and mechanics, but once I "got" the theory, it became really easy

mostly, i think, 4 unit teachers are there to assist and guide on specific questions as the theory is not too demanding (in contrast to many specific Q's)

remember, you always have BoS

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
A teacher would be a great help but it is possible to teach yourself the entire course; just use your resources wisely eg study guides (excel) or ask questions on BoS as untouchablecuz suggested.

However if you find it too difficult or don't want to put in that much effort, moving schools or getting a tutor might be a solution.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
If your passionate about it, then you should be able to teach urself the course. I know people who have basically taught themselves the 4unit course and achieved that Band E4

gurmies

Drover
HSC
It's fine - I think perhaps of all topics, the hardest to self teach would be mechanics (but maybe that's because I don't have a physics background)

killua_3

HSC
i don't think you should if you don't have a teacher/good teacher.

even if you do get the concepts etc, like other people have suggested, when you hit roadblocks on specific questions, then you'll have no one to ask. if you post a question on the internet, ie, here, it just doesn't have the same effect as a teacher explaining it to you 1 on 1.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
I don't go to school anymore, i have taught myself 4 unit purely from textbooks (Mostly Cambridge and Terry Lee). Recently have been doing plenty of past papers and my marks on these papers suggest a great understanding of the course.

When i first started off i was a bit daunted by the idea of teaching myself, but i found that writting theory notes and writting plenty of different types of Q to that bit of theory helps me memorise and learn the content in a concise way.
The good thing about teaching yourself is that it gives you a total understanding of the concept. I purposely used Terry Lee as one of my supplements as 'Worked Solutions' are provided.

So, in summary, i say it is very possible. Besides, you have your teacher there to atleast guide you.

Affinity

HSC
Hi all , please help me with advise,
I am currently in year 11, and I have already started 4 unit course.
I like maths, I am doing pretty good. But the problem is the teacher, who has never taught Extension 2 , even extension 1, and he doesn't explain good, he relies on us to understand the concept by ourselves . I want to do 4 unit, but I am not sure if I can tackle everything by myself.

What do you think, is it possible, if I put a lot of effort?
Is changing the school solution to that problem?:confused:
Advice will be appreciated. Thanks
It is possible, but if you have to ask this question, you will probably need osme help

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Yeah, I'm teaching myself too.

It's hard but as long as you have the motivation, it will be doable.

charlen

HSC
getting a great tutor help, my teacher is already but i pretty much did everything with my tutor

wonho

HSC
It's not worth the extra time. Get an experienced tutor.

K

khorne

It's very possible...With a decent text book (and I mean textbook, not just book full of problems). I have self taught a few 4U topics from an old (1970's) textbook(theory), and used Cambridge for the questions. Not impossible, but requires some dedication and time.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
imo a teacher is essential in 4unit. The course is very hard and it is very difficult to self teach. Don't discount the teacher just because he hasn't taught 4unit before. Our 3unit teacher is teaching 3unit for the first time and he is very good.
no.

4u is perfectly self teachable.

get 2 textbooks and ull be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)