Is it possible to do Radiology without doing any science subjects in the HSC? (1 Viewer)

wootwoot1234

HSC
Hi,

Is it possible to do Radiology in Uni without doing any sciences in YRs 11/12?

Thanks in advance :)

qwerty44

HSC
Well it depends on the uni, but hardly any uni's have pre req's anymore so you probably could.

Though sciences, especially chemistry, usually help in uni science according to science students here.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I wouldn't like to try it.

Radiology has a heavy physics component. Unless you're doing 2U maths, I wouldn't like to try and attempt radiation physics without some sort of background in maths or high school physics.

wootwoot1234

HSC
Well it depends on the uni, but hardly any uni's have pre req's anymore so you probably could.

Though sciences, especially chemistry, usually help in uni science according to science students here.
So I guess the same thing would apply to other science degrees like, for example, Pharmacy?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
So I guess the same thing would apply to other science degrees like, for example, Pharmacy?
Pharmacy has a heavy chemistry component.

I mean if you apply yourself it's possible to do these degrees without foundations in chem or phys from high school, but you're entering in with no background information and unlike year 11/12 where you have two years to learn it, most semesters are 13 weeks. So if you have no background foundations in physics or chemistry and don't do a bridging course, you are spending your first few weeks trying to learn the basics.

Most degrees have scrapped pre reqs, but almost all first year science subjects have "assumed knowledge", which means they're assuming you're coming into this with some sort of pre knowledge of the topic.

Like I said you can certainly succeed but you're probably going to have to try harder than if you hadn't done yr 12 phys/chem.

My main question is you're doing no science subjects at all in the HSC, what has compelled you to pick science degrees?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I'm currently doing 2 unit maths.

How much Physics is in Radiology exactly?
Well there's a lot. First year at CSU for example, you do physics in first and second semester. You then do another one in third year. And then when you go on to do subjects in MRI and ultrasound, there is more physics, because MR physics is different from your normal rad physics.

wootwoot1234

HSC
Pharmacy has a heavy chemistry component.

I mean if you apply yourself it's possible to do these degrees without foundations in chem or phys from high school, but you're entering in with no background information and unlike year 11/12 where you have two years to learn it, most semesters are 13 weeks. So if you have no background foundations in physics or chemistry and don't do a bridging course, you are spending your first few weeks trying to learn the basics.

Most degrees have scrapped pre reqs, but almost all first year science subjects have "assumed knowledge", which means they're assuming you're coming into this with some sort of pre knowledge of the topic.

Like I said you can certainly succeed but you're probably going to have to try harder than if you hadn't done yr 12 phys/chem.

My main question is you're doing no science subjects at all in the HSC, what has compelled you to pick science degrees?
Well, in year 10 when I had to choose my subjects, I ultimately went with subjects that I felt that I was stronger in e.g. M.History, Legal Studies, etc and would ultimately get me higher marks. But I've always been interested in Radiology and Pharmacy. My other preferences are Criminal Law or Commerce - but everyone has a Commerce degree nowadays

Ryan_T90

HSC
Radiology requires an MBBS, are you mistaking Radiology for Radiography by any chance?

andrew3

HSC
I'm looking at radiography and physics or mathematics is recommended by newcastle but not a prerequisite. I think you could get away with just quickly learning the parts of the hsc physics that are relevant really, as long as you are decent at maths.

K

khorne

what is the point

of not doing HSC courses which are relevant to your future degree preference?

if you don't like them now, you won't later on

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
This is quite irrelevant to your degree, but I completed my HSC doing only general maths and business studies and I thought I'll die in finance and Economics but to my dismay I'm now going to choose applied econometrics as my major. It's not completely about what you did in HSC its about ur interest- theres many people that have to go back to university and change their degree because they didn't follow their interest, I wreckon give it a try.

x3Reii

HSC
If you're referring to radiography, I'm currently doing that course right now at USYD. I would suggest you do chemistry, biology AND physics in HSC because the course is very science-based and very hands on. You don't need to worry too much about physics because USYD provides a peer-mentoring program for students who have done physics and HSC level. But yep, it'd make life easier if you've done biology and/or chemistry in high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)