Is it possible to get 95+ in Maths Ext 1 & 2 without tutoring? (1 Viewer)

cantchange

HSC
Maths is one of my stronger subjects, in Y11 I ranked like 10-20 (for adv and ext) at a top 20 school. I didn't have tutoring but I want to get a high b6 for hsc and i don't know if I should consider tutoring.

Also idk if I have time to do like double work (the topic tutoring does and the topic school is doing), I also have a good teacher. She usually assigns like the minimum necessary questions to do from the Cambridge textbook though.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Maths is one of my stronger subjects, in Y11 I ranked like 10-20 (for adv and ext) at a top 20 school. I didn't have tutoring but I want to get a high b6 for hsc and i don't know if I should consider tutoring.

Also idk if I have time to do like double work (the topic tutoring does and the topic school is doing), I also have a good teacher. She usually assigns like the minimum necessary questions to do from the Cambridge textbook though.
See how far you can go without tutoring. If you can do very well without, then maybe you don't need tutoring. You can then send me the money you have now saved.

osciggyz

HSC
I managed to get 93 in 3u and 89 in 4u without tutoring. Its definitely possible to do well without tutoring

idkkdi

HSC

yes. do not do the minimum necessary. try to maybe also do mastering/terry lee as well as cambridge for 4u.

but, tutoring makes it easier to get high b6s in maths. it saves time, because you're spoonfed what to do to reach high b6.

c_z_m

HSC
Private tutoring is another viable option. Good private tutors will know what topics you need help in and can select questions accordingly, whereas tutoring colleges run through all of the content (tutoring colleges which boast state ranks will run through the content - James Ruse style). It depends on what your learning style is, whether travel time is an issue, and how much money you are willing to shell out.

tito981

HSC

learn content half a term early through youtube and grind past papers is how i did it.

cantchange

HSC
Private tutoring is another viable option. Good private tutors will know what topics you need help in and can select questions accordingly, whereas tutoring colleges run through all of the content (tutoring colleges which boast state ranks will run through the content - James Ruse style). It depends on what your learning style is, whether travel time is an issue, and how much money you are willing to shell out.
What do private tutors usually use? Like do a lot of them make their own resources or just use textbooks?

cantchange

HSC
yes. do not do the minimum necessary. try to maybe also do mastering/terry lee as well as cambridge for 4u.

but, tutoring makes it easier to get high b6s in maths. it saves time, because you're spoonfed what to do to reach high b6.
In your experience does tutoring that is currently going through a different topic to the one you're doing at school make it difficult to manage? Mostly in terms of time.

Wizjaro

HSC
Hey dude. I got 95+ for 3U and 4U and I didn't do tutoring for either. I also didn't do any of the extreme things that everyone is mentioning. I personally just followed along in class and was actually behind for most of yr 12. If you are good at maths you tend to know what works for you, so I just did a bit of revision before each exam and that worked for me. I'm personally not of the opinion of stressing super hard for 4U and 3U to get good marks. What matters more is just understanding. Pay close attention to what your teachers say and make sure you understand everything they talk about and maybe watch some videos in the worst case scenario. All in all, I did the best in maths when I tried to make it fun for myself so don't stress and just enjoy the journey.

c_z_m

HSC
In your experience does tutoring that is currently going through a different topic to the one you're doing at school make it difficult to manage? Mostly in terms of time.
It can be manageable, but I think doing different topics in tutoring vs school really depends on the individual and school. My school taught maths quite well, so tutoring for me was a way to get a "head start" on content, plus I had the time, despite spending over 5 hours of tutoring (plus travel time!) per week. However, you may find it a waste of time plus tutoring colleges (at least the ones I've been to) aren't really good at "teaching" things - they sort of assume you know the knowledge and will shove a lot of practice questions your way - a teaching method that varies in effaciacy.

Another thing to consider is money. Tutoring colleges will usually require you to pay full term fees. You don't really have a choice to "skip" lessons at your leisure - that's another downside of tutoring colleges - you can't "pick and mix" at your leisure.

But for me personally, I found time quite manageable for tutoring, mostly because I didn't really have any hobbies and didn't really use social media a lot. But that's just me. Your experience and choices will differ.

c_z_m

HSC
What do private tutors usually use? Like do a lot of them make their own resources or just use textbooks?
I went to private tutoring after having learnt the content. In my opinion, it is quite easy to learn content for 3U and 4U - plus you have your formula sheet - the real challenge is applying your content to questions.

My private tutor gave me tailored practice trial questions and went through methodology/strategies to approach them. If I made mistakes on a topic, she would give me similar questions to make sure I understood. Of course, you could do all of this by yourself, but sometimes, you need someone to check your working out, and sometimes you don't have the time to choose which questions to do - or how many.

Other private tutors may give resources and use textbooks. But I feel like that's more of a science/english/humanities/business thing rather than maths.

cantchange

HSC
not at all lol

i got 99 in 3 and 4u w/out any tutoring
How did you do it? Was there any extra work you did outside of assigned classwork and past papers? Also what's a good amount of past papers to do, is the rule generally the more the better or...?

chaevely_park

HSC

For someone who goes to maths tutoring, I can tell you that (from my experience) it's basically for getting a head start so that during school, you can manage your workload better. But that doesn't mean that you go to tutoring and that's immediately a B6 in maths - it's more like the tutoring encourages you to do some learning and revision ahead of time, and tests you regularly on your capabilities in certain areas. If you are self-disciplined and can set up an effective study and revision schedule (w/ past papers, topics you found difficult, topics which will be tested, etc.) in preparation for your tasks and throughout the term (bc consistency is key), I think that you will be fine! I think maths is much more about staying on top of your workload and revising, and (again, from my experience) tutoring just helps students by doing the organisation part for them :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)