Is it possible to get a band 6 with an internal mark of 75? (1 Viewer)

Flop55

HSC
Basically for the majority of my subjects my average internal mark is about 75, but in most of my HSC exams so far I think I've done better than that. So I'm wondering, if I do well in the HSC (like over 90) would it be possible for me get a band 6?

My school is ranked about #40 and here are my internal ranks and approximate marks for my subjects:
English Advanced: 40/74 (75%)
Ancient History: 4/4 (75%)
Business Studies: 22/49 (75%)
French Continuers:3 or 4(not confirmed yet)/5 (75%)
General Maths: 2/43 (90%) - I think I will get a band 6 in this one.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

RyanT7

HSC
Yes.

The internal marks you get in school are meaningless, only your ranks matter.

The internal marks that your cohort receive are derived from the cohort's external exam performance.

The ranks determine who gets what internal mark

So hypothetically, rank 1 can be be on 20/100 in a subject and still end up with a band 6 in the HSC

RyanT7

HSC
What do u mean by this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It means whatever internal mark that a particular student receives before the HSC has no effect on their actual internal mark when they get their HSC results. Only their rankings and the distance in marks between the ranks affect their final HSC internal mark, not the mark itself.

For example, a school might set very hard exams and rank 1 might end up with only a 52/100 at school. This does not mean their internal mark will be 52 in the HSC.

Since they are rank 1, their HSC internal mark will be equal to the highest mark that their cohort receives externally in the exam.

So let's say the highest external mark was 96 in the HSC, rank 1 will receive an internal mark of 96 as they have the right to the highest internal mark.

The 52/100 they had in school is absolutely irrelevant, besides the fact that it allowed him/her to get the rank 1 in the first place.

Furthermore, moderation will take place to account for the differences in marks between ranks.

A scenario where Rank 1 is on 90 and rank 2 is at 60, will result in rank 2's internal mark being much lower compared to if rank 2's mark was 88.

This is because they take into consideration the GAP between the RANKS. But never the marks soley by themselves

Hopefully this clears it up

whatafeeling

HSC
It means whatever internal mark that a particular student receives before the HSC has no effect on their actual internal mark when they get their HSC results. Only their rankings and the distance in marks between the ranks affect their final HSC internal mark, not the mark itself.

For example, a school might set very hard exams and rank 1 might end up with only a 52/100 at school. This does not mean their internal mark will be 52 in the HSC.

Since they are rank 1, their HSC internal mark will be equal to the highest mark that their cohort receives externally in the exam.

So let's say the highest external mark was 96 in the HSC, rank 1 will receive an internal mark of 96 as they have the right to the highest internal mark.

The 52/100 they had in school is absolutely irrelevant, besides the fact that it allowed him/her to get the rank 1 in the first place.

Furthermore, moderation will take place to account for the differences in marks between ranks.

A scenario where Rank 1 is on 90 and rank 2 is at 60, will result in rank 2's internal mark being much lower compared to if rank 2's mark was 88.

This is because they take into consideration the GAP between the RANKS. But never the marks soley by themselves

Hopefully this clears it up
Right I get it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttenroca

HSC
Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 11.43.08 AM.png

Take a look at this picture. You can see the school assessment shifts up is moderated to fit he results from the HSC exam. If you look closerly the pattern and gaps between the students is relatively consistent between the raw and moderated mark. In this example the lowest raw assessment mark was maybe 13, but was moderated up to about 52, which was the lowest exam mark.

The teacher could have sent in marks between 10 and 20, and they could moderate to anything. It all comes down to the the exam. Beat your mates in assessments, but hope everyone does well in the exam.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)