Is it possible to have no band 6 in a subject? (1 Viewer)

vcb003104

HSC
Quick question,

Being a tutor, one of my student recently asked how the bands in HSC are determined... So I told him to do his best and not think too much of it since he can't really influence it.

I understand that your marks get scaled and any marks above 90 get a band 6. Would it be possible in a year where everyone did crap, but the exam committee thinks that the hardness of the exam is similar to last years, so no one got their marks scaled to above 90?

OR is there a predetermined approx. amount say 5- 10% of students will definitely get a scaled mark of above 90, hence band 6. I took ENG Adv. back in my days. Checked the BOS site http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2015_12_15140.html
and there are around 15% band 6s (sounds right).

When I checked ESL http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2015_12_15150.html , there's only 4%.

I was told that ENG standard and Advance are in the same scale so I assumed that all the band 6s were taken by the advance kids. (There're only 0.37 students in standard who got band 6s).

Cheers Guys

RyanT7

HSC
There is no predetermined approximate, and is based purely on what the committee believe is a suitable cut off for a B6/E4. However, this is extremely unlikely to happen, and if it has/ever will, it would most likely happen in a subject where the amount of people doing it is really low

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Could only imagine this happening in a language subject with 1-3 participants

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it is possible to have no band 6s within a subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)