• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it possible? UAI prediction (1 Viewer)

zimmy808

HSC
ok im aiming to get into Civil Engineering at either Uni Sydney, UNSW or UTS which means around 85+ UAI

school rank is 57 (in 2007)

My marks are

87.5/100 society and culture rank 3/60
85/100 general maths rank 4/120
75/100 standard english rank 8/100 (my worst subject)
90+/100 german continuios rank 3/17
80/100 ancient history rank 15/80

these are generalizations (cuz it didnt include my latest marks but i kinda averaged them in + the number of students in each subject is around the ones given aka give or take 5)

i realise my subjects dont work with trying to get into civil engineering, so i read that i should do bridging courses in maths and physics, is this true?

any idea on a UAI prediction? or if it is still possible to get into Civil Engineering at uni? thanks

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Yeah, you'd have to do the bridging courses, or you wouldn't cope. You want to do Engineering with no Sciences, and that level of Maths? When did you decide that's what you want to do?

zimmy808

HSC
Ok well my dad is a structural engineer, and he rekons that i'd be fine as an engineer. Now with maths i've always been good (even getting 80+ in norm maths) but i thought that if u did general maths then i could get better marks with less effort and i could concentrate on other things like the major work for SOC + be able to study for other subjects more.
With sciences, its not like i am bad at them (i got band 5 in School Cert.) but im better in history and soc. plus i was told to do subjects im interested in for the HSC. so thats wat i did. i neva considered wat i would need for uni... oops
I still reackon i could do fine at UNI, because i could concentrate more on maths and physics, which i couldnt do this year.
nevertheless i want to study civil engineering. so is it still possible?

-tal-

HSC
You might, but just. I think you should try SAM (Student Assessment Modeller). Be prepared to take off about 2 off the predicted UAI though.

To be honest, even though you might be getting an 85 in general maths, it IS extension 1 maths (at least) that you're looking to catch up on here (in the bridging course), as well as the appropriate physics course. General is certainly of no help to the exponentially harder stuff you're expected to be able to master within about 6-8 weeks. Might come back to bite you, not doing a higher level of maths when they consider your application.

In short: I don't think you'd do that fine with the maths and physics side of things. But I'll predict a UAI of about 80

zimmy808

HSC
80 ... that sucks lol. i dunno im still hopeful. i neva had problems with maths before, even when it was harder. i only did general maths cuz of the quantity of work i would have had to do in norm maths

SAM: 85-90 depending on how i do in standard english (when i added 5 marks it changed dramatically, and i rkn i could get an extra 5 marks)

do my ranks help me at all? also does the rank of my school help me?

p.s. im also considering doing economics or business/hospitality management (due to my cultural/language subjects giving me an advantage in my opinion)

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
Do what you like, not what gives you an advantage. If you hate the thing, no advantage can help you.

UAI looks like low 80s to me. General Maths and Stan Eng actually destroys your UAI, along with your other low-scaling subjects.

zimmy808

HSC
isnt german high scaling?
and soc not too bad either?

so would it be more feasable to do a Bachelor of Economics (UAI 82.58)? I am interested in this.

Paj20

HSC
Would scaling hurt him that much? If your going for 96+ then youd want to be doing all the 4unit maths and 3 unit english etc... but below that its not really that impactive unless you go quite bad at that subject.

runnable

HSC
Paj20 said:
Would scaling hurt him that much? If your going for 96+ then youd want to be doing all the 4unit maths and 3 unit english etc... but below that its not really that impactive unless you go quite bad at that subject.
Not true. I am going for UAI 99 and Im not doing 4U Maths nor 3U Eng. Yet I'm on my way to 99. Doing well in weak scaling subjects cannot hurt you if you do it well. What hurts you is ranking badly in a poor scaling subject.

Paj20

HSC
runnable said:
Not true. I am going for UAI 99 and Im not doing 4U Maths nor 3U Eng. Yet I'm on my way to 99. Doing well in weak scaling subjects cannot hurt you if you do it well. What hurts you is ranking badly in a poor scaling subject.

What subjects you do?

zimmy808

HSC
runnable said:
What hurts you is ranking badly in a poor scaling subject.
ok fair enough, but i mean im ranking 4th in gen maths and 8th in eng stand. both are still pretty competitive. the top 10 in gen maths are all pplz who have dropped down from adv maths, and like the difference between top rank and me is maybe 1 or 2%. and english well... every1 in english standard is just doing very badly, so thats generally why im that rank. I just neva been good at english.

Plus my other ranks arent too bad either all top 15 in the year. or do i accually have to be top 3 in each of my subjects to get a mid to high 80's UAI?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
zimmy808 said:
ok fair enough, but i mean im ranking 4th in gen maths and 8th in eng stand. both are still pretty competitive. the top 10 in gen maths are all pplz who have dropped down from adv maths, and like the difference between top rank and me is maybe 1 or 2%. and english well... every1 in english standard is just doing very badly, so thats generally why im that rank. I just neva been good at english.

Plus my other ranks arent too bad either all top 15 in the year. or do i accually have to be top 3 in each of my subjects to get a mid to high 80's UAI?
Break top 10 in ancient and you'll be looking at 90+ even.

runnable

HSC
zimmy808 said:

Wait let me get this straight.

GEN Maths, thats not good regardless. The people who dropped down from Adv Maths are probably the worst of Adv Maths. Then you have to compare against students of entire Adv Maths, Ext 1 Maths and Ext 2 Maths. Because scaling of Gen Maths is atrocious. It measures your performance assuming you did every course. Since Gen Maths is so easy, its scaling is terrible.

Std English. You said everyone is doing badly. You do realise that is very bad for you? You're better off with a strong cohort than a weak cohort and ranking first. If you and your cohort is weak overall, guess whats gonna happen to your Std Eng score... yes, very weak. If you are never good at English, then you should get the mark you deserve. Its no excuse to justify your rank.

Overall, good luck with HSC and work on your subjects.

zimmy808

HSC
wow that hurt... but meh, ill be right, im gonna have a meeting with my careers advisor anyway so ill find out then. thanks for the help neway.

tau281290

HSC
Career advisors are full of euphemisms because they don't want to hurt your feelings.

zimmy808

HSC
hell ill live with my goal, i mean chances are ill get at least low 80's UAI so thats at least into uni for economix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)