Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
you see how people say that certain subjects scale you down, does that mean you cant get a 100 HSC mark for that topic like the average for both internal and external because a score of 100 would scale down to lets say....92?

sly_skittle

HSC
All subjects are scaled- some worse and some better than others. It is true that in some subjects you cannot achieve a HSC mark of 100- infact this is in most subjects. This year the only subjects where someone scored a HSC mark of 100 were Ancient History, English Extension 2, Maths extension 1 & 2, modern history, music 1, music extension, studies of religion I, french continuers, german continuers, japanese extension, latin continuers, latin extension, modern greek continuers and extension, accounting, industrial tech and distinction courses.
However all of these were scaled when calculating the UAI. For example the person who got 100% in industrial tech had their mark scaled down to 79.4 while in accounting the person who scored 100% still attained that mark after scaling. For other subjects like physics, mathematics and chemistry nobody scored a HSC mark of 100% but their scaled mark became 100.
You can see all of these on this table;
http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2006_table_A3.pdf

There are some subjects which you shouldn't take if you want to get a UAI over 98 because they scale extremly badly, like industrial tech.
But I took general maths and senior science which both scale fairly badly; 99 in general becomes 90.2 and 98 in science becomes 86.4 and still managed a UAI of 95.75 and a major stuff up in english.
So my advice would be that if you can achieve highly in harder subjects (advanced english, maths + extension, history, geography, physics e.t.c) do them because they scale very well.
But if you would only be getting average marks in the low to mid 70s after scaling (which would convert to the 60s as a raw mark in most subjects) then I would suggest doing subjects which don't scale as well- but make sure your achieving marks in the high 80s and low 90s because otherwise the scaling would destroy your UAI.
I only did 10 units so every subject had to count. I stuffed up english advanced getting 82, but in senior science (which scales very badly) I got 95 and that contributed to my UAI much better than english did.
So it really depends on what UAI you are hoping to obtain and what subjects you need for Uni. If the maximum you need is in the 80s or low 90s then it doesn't matter if you do subjects that scale badly. But once you start aiming for a UAI of 97+ this would become near impossible if you did a combination of badly scaled subjects (e.g. senior science, general maths, standard english, industrial tech., CaFS)- but with standard english it isn't the scaling which stuffs up the mark, its the HSC mark (the highest this year was 92 which when scaled became 92.2)
hope that helps- just remember that its alright to do some subjects which don't scale too well, just don't do all of those subjects

a-m-e-e-e

HSC
oh thats really good to know! I do general maths and a few other low-scorers but I only need a UAI of 85-90 (actually if I got 90 I'd be psyched!)... does this sound like it could work...?

G

gaoOO

a-m-e-e-e said:
oh thats really good to know! I do general maths and a few other low-scorers but I only need a UAI of 85-90 (actually if I got 90 I'd be psyched!)... does this sound like it could work...?
you can get that kind of UAI with any kind of combination, it just depends how well you do at them :)

cupcake08

HSC
just wondering, if a perfect score is attainable in some subjects, what do they do when multiple people acheive perfect scores? how do they rank them?

cupcake08

HSC
but is it possible for people to get the same moderated assessment mask and a perfect hsc mark?

(lol sorry i don't know very much about this whole process :p )

tezza6189

professional time waster
HSC
cupcake08 said:
just wondering, if a perfect score is attainable in some subjects, what do they do when multiple people acheive perfect scores? how do they rank them?
I think they look at your school rank as well. If you're ranked first in your school and got a perfect score, then you'll be ranked higher than a person who also got a perfect score but didn't come first in their school. But I'm not entirely sure. I thought a subject like ext 1 maths they'll just give ties to everyone who got 100 because this girl and myself got equal firsts. But then the next day this guy came up to me and said it was unfair she and I got it but he also got 100 but didn't get ranked first..so it's all a bit dodgy :S

As for subjects like music extension, english extension 2 where it is major work based, they just make a subjective decision who gets first. I got full marks for my music extension and was ranked 1 in my school but only came equal 5th in the state.

sly_skittle

HSC
cupcake08 said:
When the board of studies are ranking people in the state they average out the persons HSC mark and their UAI- i've just confused myself because the rankings came out before the UAI's were released.
Maybe they look at their marks for all subjects and whoever went better gets the highest rank.
I don't know where I heard this from but it seems to work because people who are ranked in the top 20 for subjects always get high UAI's.
so someone who got 100% in an exam with a UAI of 99.95 would rank above someone who got 100% in the same exam but who got a UAI of 97

cupcake08

HSC
tezza6189 said:
I think they look at your school rank as well. If you're ranked first in your school and got a perfect score, then you'll be ranked higher than a person who also got a perfect score but didn't come first in their school.

As for subjects like music extension, english extension 2 where it is major work based, they just make a subjective decision who gets first. I got full marks for my music extension and was ranked 1 in my school but only came equal 5th in the state.
sly_skittle said:
When the board of studies are ranking people in the state they average out the persons HSC mark and their UAI- i've just confused myself because the rankings came out before the UAI's were released.
Maybe they look at their marks for all subjects and whoever went better gets the highest rank.
thanks for your responses guys.

who knows which way they do it, but either way it doesn't seem very fair :(
especially in subjective subjects like ee2

LankanG

Maha Pimp
HSC
However all of these were scaled when calculating the UAI. For example the person who got 100% in industrial tech had their mark scaled down to 79.4

i person from our skool got a band 6 in ind tech...so dunt noe wat ur on abt mate

sly_skittle

HSC
LankanG said:
However all of these were scaled when calculating the UAI. For example the person who got 100% in industrial tech had their mark scaled down to 79.4

i person from our skool got a band 6 in ind tech...so dunt noe wat ur on abt mate
The 100% in industrial tech that i was talking about is the HSC mark- it's already been scaled by the board of studies-.
So while the person from your school got a band 6 from the board of studies, when it was being calculated into their UAI it was scaled again and became 79.4. The HSC mark for a subject is a completely different number to what UAC uses when calculating a UAI.
If you didn't want a UAI you wouldn't need to worry about this next stage of scaling because you'd only get the first mark- in the case of the person from your school they got 90+, but if they were getting a UAI this would drop to something like 70, whereas if someone got 90+ (HSC mark) in chemistry when their UAI was calculated it would stay around the same or maybe even go up a bit.
so the person who got 100% in industrial tech got a band 6 on their Higher School Certificate but if they were getting a UAI it would drop to being a mark of 79.4
If i added up all of my marks for the HSC i would get 455, but after scaling by UAC it would became about 405- it drops because i did fairly easy subjects. Industrial tech is scaled so badly because UAC believes that it is one of the easiet subjects and if everyone in the state sat it they would go very well- its the opposite for chemistry, if everyone in the state sat the exam a lot would go crap.
hope that makes sense- its confusing to explain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)