Is it really over? (1 Viewer)

crazy_paki123

HSC
i got less than satisfying HSC results and i am expecting an atar of around 85. I want to commerce at uni but i missed out on uts, usyd and unsw, only leaving uws and macq. I have heard macq's commerce degree is fairly good but travelling is an issue. Due to all of the above my dad went off at me yelling that i have just ruined my career and life. Is this true?

Maryanayeah

HSC
no you havent!!

Think positive, you can do anything. Good luck xx

RANK 1

HSC
i got less than satisfying HSC results and i am expecting an atar of around 85. I want to commerce at uni but i missed out on uts, usyd and unsw, only leaving uws and macq. I have heard macq's commerce degree is fairly good but travelling is an issue. Due to all of the above my dad went off at me yelling that i have just ruined my career and life. Is this true?
just go to your nearest uni get a good wam and transfer

crazy_paki123

HSC
nearest uni is uws, nd my dad will completley lose it if i go there

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you able to get bonus points at any of your first preferences?

Also, Macquarie University has a city campus that might be more convenient for you if you did choose to go there. http://www.city.mq.edu.au/

And don't let your dad get you down. You did your best and thats what matters. If it really bothers you, you can always work very hard in your first year and transfer to a more desired university after that.

crazy_paki123

HSC
in uts i need an atar of 88 with 5 BP, im looking at 84 at best so yeah not looking too good. Is there a difference between main North RRyde campus and city campus of Macq

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
My friend was in a similar position to you. They studied Arts at USyd (with courses in economics + political economy) and achieved Distinctions and made the transfer to BCom and got the credit to major in economics and just had to do the core units. I know other's who have studied a BA at USyd majored in whatever they liked and then done the Master of Commerce afterwards. Don't worry man, plenty of options left.

Also, MQ's commerce faculty is very good. If you have to do the extra travel so be it.

crazy_paki123

HSC
thanks everyone for the motivation and inspiration. So what is my best option? Go to MQ and stay there, or do well there and transfer to USYD UTS or UNSW if i get offfered?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, wait and see what your ATAR is tomorrow. You never know, it could be higher than you expect. I had one friend who's atar was 2-3 points higher last year.

Put UTS as your first preference. With your bonus points, you might still get in. You don't know what the cut off is, so don't discount it yet.
Put Macq as your second preference. That way, you've at least got yourself a spot at university.

If you don't get UTS in the 1st/2nd/3rd rounds, work your but of at Macquarie!!! If after a year you still want to transfer, hopefully more hard work will have paid off and you can move to one of your other choices.

Good luck to you!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Yes, you can always transfer and if you plan on doing so then stick to UWS as it is close by to where you live. Securing a Credit - Distinction average will be enough for UTS. Good Luck and All the Best and hopefully you will gain admission to your desired university.

crazy_paki123

HSC
heyyy, i dont think ill get an ATAR of 93 or 88 for B Business at UTS. BUTT what if i do science in computer tech and business combined which is only 88 and with 5 bp id make it. what is science in computer tech and could i drop it in like 1 semester and just have a single business degree. thank you

WALTAWHITE

HSC
My dad (a uni lecturer who has gotten degrees from 3 different unis) says that really, it doesn't matter that much where you got your degree/education. You most certainly have not ruined your chance for a career/future.

Stay positive!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
85 wiould be plenty for Ku-rin-gai campus at UTS if you are willing to travel. It's closing in a few years but it still appears to be available on UAC. Wouldn't be hard to transfer to city campus as it is processed internally and i believe Ku-Rin-Gai campus students can enrol in lectures at the city campus anyway.

crazy_paki123

HSC
kuring gai is too far, even farther than Macquarie but thanks for your help

jnney

lemon
HSC
Lol you are so far from being over, it hasn't even really started yet. Your dad is being an asshole (sorry) so forget what he says!

How long does it take to travel to MAQU?

crazy_paki123

HSC
90 - 120 mins from Glenfield to Central then Central to Macquarie

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
90 - 120 mins from Glenfield to Central then Central to Macquarie
I believe most people on different lines try and bus it or drive to macquarie rather than transfer lines and that it can make a pretty big difference. Have you looked into buses?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol whut?

An ATAR with 85 opens up so much opportunity if you choose to take. We are very lucky to live in Australia with many unis and such to make good use of our scores.
Internal transfers are always an option, as well you will have the score to do commerce at some insitutions. If you really want to do commerce, surely the commute to Macquarie is not too bad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)