Is it risky doing 10 units 4 yr 12? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Is it risky doing 10 units 4 yr 12?
I do: (ranks)
English advanced 34/171
Maths 2u 71/141
Legal Studies 3/45
IPT 1/8
French Cont 6/9
Italian 5/14
I am worried coz i dropped maths and most ppl say u shld have a fall bak unit?
Also are these subs scalled badly 4 uai i heard IPT AND LEGAL are?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
melsc said:
English advanced 34/171
Maths 2u 71/141
Legal Studies 3/45
IPT 1/8
French Cont 6/9
Italian 5/14
the languages and legal don't scale much, that's all I know.
maths and eng adv are also not all that great scaling because so many people do it, including ext people. use sam.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
its true that it IS safer to have a "back up" subject if you're a little iffy about your other subjects, but I think the general rule should be that you have to confident about 10u in order to onlly DO 10u. You're Eng and Maths ranks look a little worrying...I highly doubt you'll fail them but if you're looking for a good UAI, try to lift those subjects...If dropping one of the other subjects will HELP eng and maths, I would seriously consider it..

vaniLLa_554

HSC
i think it is risky doing only 10 units for anyone.. even if you're really confident..
there's always chance you can stuff up one exam..you can't be too sure, and if it happens in your trials or the external exam.. you need 2 units for back uP!

i stuffed up one of my prelim exams because i felt sick during the exam... so i dont want to take the risk!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
melsc said:
English advanced 34/171
Maths 2u 71/141
Legal Studies 3/45
IPT 1/8
French Cont 6/9
Italian 5/14

10 units is fine if you are confident that you will suceed with them. if you have any doubts take 12 units into the 1st term of year 12 ( as in term 4 of this year) before making any final choices
also speck to teachers and other at your school to clarify and make sure ..

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
You know you don't have to actually drop a subject...why do it? Its safer to keep your 12 units...unless your one of the smartest people on Earth and can definetly pass ALL of your exams. Just so you know, I'm not dropping any of my subjects. I'm doing:
Adv. English
Gen. Maths
Legal Studies
Economics
Modern History (via DE)
Ancient History

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
BTW, if I was to drop a subject it would be maths...anyday.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
is 11units risky?

u can argue that if ur capable of so many units will u able to concentrate on the 10u enough to achieve a good mark....c if ur capable...

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
amoz_lilo said:
is 11units risky?

u can argue that if ur capable of so many units will u able to concentrate on the 10u enough to achieve a good mark....c if ur capable...
Its better than 10!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm glad I didn't opt to drop bio, because now I'm screwing up physics. So I would recommend you do at least 12 and decide on which ones you're going best in after half yearlies and focus on them:)
(I'm doing 13 btw)

SmileyCam

HSC
Kwayera said:
I'm doing 14 units next year.

*dies*
that's just stupid, what's the point? you only get marks from 10 units ur just wasting ur time with 14 units, I'm doing 13 units at the moment and I'm picking up 4 unit math next term, but I'm dropping SDD because doing 14 units would be STUPID and impractical, so take a little advice and drop something

Luv Cam ^_^

Kulazzi

HSC
it's good to have a back-up however, I suggest, if you are doing more than two major work for your HSC, drop one subject, unless you are very organised and use time well. If I keep all my subjects then I'll have to do 3 major works which I know I won't be able to handle (and also since our deputy curriculum doesn't allow any students to do more than two major works) so yeah, I'm going down to 10 units.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
SmileyCam said:
that's just stupid, what's the point? you only get marks from 10 units ur just wasting ur time with 14 units, I'm doing 13 units at the moment and I'm picking up 4 unit math next term, but I'm dropping SDD because doing 14 units would be STUPID and impractical, so take a little advice and drop something

Luv Cam ^_^
But I *like* all my subjects! Lol. I'm not dropping any because I'm good at most of them and the 4u I should drup (Maths 2u and Physics) I *can't*, so yeah. At least I have fallback if I fail one or two subjects ;)

Winston

HSC
It depends how confident u are with ur subjects, i did 10 units, 2 units was category B, basically you can summarise me as being in the worst situation, it was the be all end all haha, to the point of the most fundamental and minimal HSC subjects haha, lowest scaling subject, category B subject, and 10 units only haha, a very bad combination.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Do 12. I did 10 and I think it's screwed me over.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I'm doing 10 but im not dropping maths straight away. I'm really happy with all my subjects that im doing because i came 1st in all but 1 and then i have ext2. For some reason though i just can't drop maths, i mean i dont want to have to worry about it when im doing my major works for society and english but....it would just feel weird :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)