is it stupid to keep a subject that you suck at? (1 Viewer)

stuffedforhsc

im not smart =(
HSC
but do 12 units knowing for sure your going to fail that subject, your other ten units would count instead? is this a dumb option?
coz the subject you suck at is required alot for the university courses you might want to do?
(e.g. i suck at chemistry, but i will do 12 units (including chemistry). Knowing i will fail chemistry or not do well in the HSC, but do it for university courses/required knowledge. Then go into hsc failing chem, but getting an ALRIGHT UAI to get into that course by your other TEN subjects that you do substantially Okay in?
anyone get me here :S

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
if you know you can do well in your 10 units, then no point doing 12. however if it's required knowledge, i'd say its best to keep it so that you can learn it over a period of 12 months rather than do bridging courses which cram it in pretty hard.

HSC
it depends if the course you want to do states chemistry as a prerequisite or not because you can do a bridging course once you get to uni, and not do chem for the hsc. Chem is a very demanding subject and is very time consuming. My chem teacher gives us prac reports at least every week, we have chapters in the textbook and kiss notes to complete and the course is still difficult. Also, "knowing" you're going to fail will probably lead you to put in insufficient effort so i think it is a waste of time completing the hsc course. have a talk to the careers advisors at your school and your chem teacher and see what they say.
good luck making the decision

jimmayy

HSC
im failing physics man. But hell im keeping it for engineering. So i guess keep it if u need it

polly12

HSC
if you want it for uni degree, arnt you going to have to understand it sooner or later?
but you you may aswell keep it, if it wont drag your UAI down then do it now instead of paying to do it at uni. also you may suprise yourself, and start enjoying it/doing really well

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Okay kids, it's time for a chat.
Often in high school we have aspirations of doing something we know we're not capable of. But we think, hell if I persevere with it, it'll work out.
If you're intent on doing a degree that requires chem as required knowledge, but you're failing chem in the HSC, this to me would be a red flag. Is this degree something you really want to do? Having done university level chem, I can honestly say that if you struggle with HSC chem, you will struggle with university chem. There are bridging courses, but if you're struggling with the basic aspects, they're not going to babysit you and explain the basics at university.

If it turns out that chem won't count towards your UAI, but you're still required to do chem at university, you need to think strongly about what you're going to get out of it.

What degree do you want to do, may I ask?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
katie tully said:
Okay kids, it's time for a chat.
Often in high school we have aspirations of doing something we know we're not capable of. But we think, hell if I persevere with it, it'll work out.
If you're intent on doing a degree that requires chem as required knowledge, but you're failing chem in the HSC, this to me would be a red flag. Is this degree something you really want to do? Having done university level chem, I can honestly say that if you struggle with HSC chem, you will struggle with university chem. There are bridging courses, but if you're struggling with the basic aspects, they're not going to babysit you and explain the basics at university.

If it turns out that chem won't count towards your UAI, but you're still required to do chem at university, you need to think strongly about what you're going to get out of it.

What degree do you want to do, may I ask?
Thanks for that, I was weary of telling OP that if she/he is failing HSC Chem, how would they manage Uni chem?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Personally, I don't think they will. But I'll rephrase. There is a difference between struggling and failing because you don't understand the concepts, and failing because you're lazy.

First year chem is very similar to HSC chem. If you struggled because you didn't understand it, I'd be very wary. That said, I found concepts I didn't understand in the HSC (albeit I only did prelim chem) went POP! at uni, and I really enjoyed it.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
drop it if you're ABSOLUTELY 100% sure the 2 units wouldn't count. and ONLY if you're absolutely 100% sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)