is it the end for me? (1 Viewer)

HSC
i got my standard english ranks today and it was absloelty shocking 30% assessments done and my rank was 103/145,is this the end of my hsc atar mark? also will this affect my atar drastically? do the BOS look at your half yearly marks or yearly marks which one is greater, also if my rank now is 103 and at the end of the year it is like top 40 will i get a better atar/mark or will my 103 rank remain same. can some1 help me out here as i am very disappointed and blown out of this?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
i got my standard english ranks today and it was absloelty shocking 30% assessments done and my rank was 103/145,is this the end of my hsc atar mark? also will this affect my atar drastically? do the BOS look at your half yearly marks or yearly marks which one is greater, also if my rank now is 103 and at the end of the year it is like top 40 will i get a better atar/mark or will my 103 rank remain same. can some1 help me out here as i am very disappointed and blown out of this?
(your spelling is a bit shocking here)

First of all, stop dramatising the HSC. I know I've been guilty of this on occasion, but it does nothing but psych you out to the point where you're so stressed you can't even function properly and your academic performance becomes a bigger disaster than a runaway train.

And no, the BoS is only concerned about your ranks and the relative gaps in between when they effectively moderate your HSC marks. You have 70% of assessments left. That means you still have an opportunity to bounce up. I've talked to a few graduates and ranks fluctuate so much. You can get top 40/145. There's no point in freaking out about how you went in the past, when you can look forward to the future and work on where you've gone wrong to bring your ranks up.

There's no definitive solution for your HSC woes, but just remember to target your areas of weakness, get teacher feedback and work towards improving. No one can predict whether or not your rank will remain the same or not, but if you work smarter towards your goal, i.e. top 40, the chances of your rank improving goes up. Your chances don't increase by being stressed and disappointed. (the disappointment is tender and can last for a few days, but pick yourself back up again and work towards the future)

Best of luck!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, calm down, it is not the end of your HSC ATAR mark unless you think it is and you make it so. What is your HSC ATAR that you desire to attain?

BOS don't actually look at marks, they just care about internal ranks and uses the gaps between the marks attained by the students of each rank to determine the mark gaps for the HSC, just remember that no matter how poor your internal rank is, having a stellar performance in the external HSC exam can make a significant difference in pulling your total marks up. You need to make sure you are aiming on a realistic basis, for example, perhaps aim for the top 40% of your cohort by the end of the year, and start by improving 10-20 ranks upwards each term. If your rank does increase to top 40, your internal mark will definitely increase.

Remember, don't be disappointed and blown out for long-you can't control the fact that results are out, you can't change the past, but what you can change is your attitude and your reaction to this, which is to accept it, understand where you have made mistakes, strive to avoid making these mistakes in the future and just move on to study smarter and study harder. Have faith in yourself that you can improve, develop pragmatic term by term goals to monitor your progress and never ever give up until the very last second. You have the power to change-but it is up to you to exert such a change. Hope this helps and best wishes for this year:)

HSC
thanks guys for the motivation i was clearly scared as my atar was in a disaster thanks for the help very much appreciated

enoilgam

HSC
The HSC/Trials usually account for about 70% of your overall mark, so it definitely isnt the end for you by any stretch.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
First of all: yes this will negatively impact on you. Sorry, but you can't really avoid that. Obviously your internal mark at the end of the year would be better if you'd been ranked higher. However, rather than using that as a motive to give up and wallow, use it to motivate yourself to do even better on the next assessment to mitigate the effect.

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
Ranks are just a simplified form of your cumulative assessment mark (/100). Ranks don't show the gaps between each person which is something positive for you since you have only done 30% (ie. Im guessing gap between you and first would be 10% around which isn't too big). If you really want to set goals for yourself, ask a person who is ranked 40 around for their marks and calculate their current cumulative assessment mark. Look at the difference between their cumulative so far and yours and see in which upcoming tasks you can strive to compensate your deficit.

Also, keep in mind that not everybody is consistent and that with such a large cohort, if you from now on perform consistently well, others will casually fall under you. But don't rely on that, you have to put in effort too from now on - follow the advice that above posts have said and you will improve.

Failure is not the enemy, it is fear of failure that is the enemy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)