Is it too late to change my Senior Geography Project topic? (1 Viewer)

jorie

HSC
I have chosen to do illegal dumping in my local park as I have seen some unwanted furniture dumped in the middle of the park.
But I really want to change it now because there is literally no illegal dumping but a few pieces of rubbish littered.. It's due in 6 weeks and I don't know if it's possible to change it now and i'm not sure what to change it to...

There is a part 1 to the assignment weighing 10% which we have already completed last term where we talk about how we'll plan it etc.. I'm just not sure if I can decide to change my topic now :S

Last edited:

scottrb24

HSC
No, it's never too late! If you can find a prevalent geographical issue (even better if its in your local area) then 6 weeks should be enough time if you manage your time well.

If you're struggling for ideas, look through your local newspaper or on their website. Good issues to pick are ones that are commonly featured or discussed. If you live near a large built-up suburb like Hurstville, Parramatta, Chatswood, Bankstown etc. where there's lots of developments happening, a good potential issue could be the impacts of these developments on the local area in terms of traffic, social, environmental etc. I did my SGP on the impacts humans have on the Moore Reserve wetland and Oatley Bay, and I found it quite easy cause there was heaappppppps of info from secondary sources (newspapers, websites etc.)

And if you're concerned about time, don't worry. I would focus on collecting primary data ASAP once you have chosen your new issue. Then even if you're running short on time, you have a good foundation. I literally went right up to the due date before I finally finished mine (nearly cracked an all nighter lol), and still managed to get 20/20 :D

Good Luck!!!

patttyy

HSC
You could always just expand your topic, maybe including graffiti and comparing different suburbs/council areas. I'm pretty sure all the removal is run by the local council, so you could probably call some guy up and ask him how much it costs for some good looking stats. That way it doesn't look like you're changing your topic, so it's all good.

Dumping in itself doesn't sound like a bad topic, but it looks like limiting it to 1 park may have been a bad decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)