• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is it worth dropping to standard? (1 Viewer)

watermelonenjoyer

HSC
I am in advanced english atm but I don't know if I can handle the workload or expectations. I don't know if it's worth dropping to standard because it might be too easy/simplified. How should I determine my choice? I have till the end of the week.

shoulfer

HSC
I am in advanced english atm but I don't know if I can handle the workload or expectations. I don't know if it's worth dropping to standard because it might be too easy/simplified. How should I determine my choice? I have till the end of the week.
no 99/~35k people get a band 6 for English standard and only 13% get a band 5 it is the worst possible decision to drop to English standard doesn't matter how you are doing in English adv just stick to English adv otherwise you will be left with a disgusting atar contribution for English

aqwerty13402

HSC
do not drop. u basically need the same level of analysis for a good mark and u are subject to shit allignment

e8zks

HSC
No, unless you are going seriously bad, do not drop
Reasons:
Teaches better stuff
Scales better
Looks better

shoulfer

HSC
uhh i got like a 60% on my prelim and a b on my halfyearly report
english is also my worst subject by far but i would just say to deal with it because there isn't much of a difference between standard and advanced content or marking wise but the scaling is really really different. so you either do bad in advanced and get adv scaling or bad in std and get std scaling which will leave u much much worse off than dealing with advanced

watermelonenjoyer

HSC
english is also my worst subject by far but i would just say to deal with it because there isn't much of a difference between standard and advanced content or marking wise but the scaling is really really different. so you either do bad in advanced and get adv scaling or bad in std and get std scaling which will leave u much much worse off than dealing with advanced
oh trueeee i'll prob stay in adv then thanks guys

carrotsss

HSC
there’s nothing wrong with standard but there is literally no point in dropping to it if ur already in advanced (saying this as someone who went up from standard to adv)

HSC
English for some reason scales weirdly highly, so if I were you I would lean more towards keeping advanced. Btw I did standard English in hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)