Is it worth it doing Extension English (1 Viewer)

Allsaints2004

HSC
I am in year 10 and I'm thinking about doing extension English but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. From your personal experience, how did you fare in extension English and even if you didn't do it can you give me advice because I want to pursue a law/arts degree at Usyd and believe it will be crucial/

idkkdi

HSC
I am in year 10 and I'm thinking about doing extension English but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it. From your personal experience, how did you fare in extension English and even if you didn't do it can you give me advice because I want to pursue a law/arts degree at Usyd and believe it will be crucial/
anything's worth it if you put the effort in.

perhaps not crucial. Decently enjoyable. Get more words to work with than in advanced English, i.e. I can rant more. Academic sources can be a pain.

If you want to do law/arts at usyd get ready to spend all of the next two years getting a 99.5 ATAR.

Last edited:

jojosiwa123

HSC
I don't think its absolutely crucial if you want to do law/arts but obviously since its an extension subject, if you're good at it it could maximise your atar.
I think it's a good subject w lots of room for discussions BUT my class started with around 12 or 14 in yr 11, now we're down to 3 people in yr 12. Mainly it got very time consuming for those who dropped it. Although it's 1 unit, it can be even more work than advanced.
In terms of difficulty- I think it honestly depends on your current skill level, if you're doing well in advanced right now you'll be fine.

vivillon

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and do English extension and I've enjoyed it so far! To be honest, I would just pick it up since you're always able to drop it. It may seem like a lot of work depending on your outlook but if you enjoy English, why not? I wouldn't say it's crucial to do especially since English advanced is pretty challenging by itself however it may give you an advantage in uni. However, that being said, just do the subjects you like.

Auzendriel

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and do English extension and I've enjoyed it so far! To be honest, I would just pick it up since you're always able to drop it. It may seem like a lot of work depending on your outlook but if you enjoy English, why not? I wouldn't say it's crucial to do especially since English advanced is pretty challenging by itself however it may give you an advantage in uni. However, that being said, just do the subjects you like.
Great advice. This is what I'm planning on doing now

Kyufruit

HSC
Taking advanced, but i wish i picked extension too honestly! some of my friends are doing better in their extension classes then advanced (sounds crazy ik haha). From what I’ve seen and heard, its a really fun class, and usually small so you’ll have a close and comfortable relationship with your teachers and peers! I definitely recommend you try it out!

jojosiwa123

HSC
Taking advanced, but i wish i picked extension too honestly! some of my friends are doing better in their extension classes then advanced (sounds crazy ik haha). From what I’ve seen and heard, its a really fun class, and usually small so you’ll have a close and comfortable relationship with your teachers and peers! I definitely recommend you try it out!
yeah I definitely agree w this!!

exojun

HSC
At my school it was compulsory to take English Extension 1 in Year 11 ( so all 150 of us had to take the course). In the first couple weeks i had decided that this was not it and i was going to drop it. The end of year 11 came around quite quickly and i had to decide my HSC subjects. I ended up keeping Ext 1 so that i could improve my english for advanced (as i have a terrible teacher) and gain further sophistication in my writing. Keep in mind that i only took the subject as i knew that it would be my extra unit and i would drop it before my trial exams happened.

However, the trials exams just finished and i still haven't dropped English Extension 1! In fact it's probably become my favourite course in the whole of HSC. I put in the most minimal effort into the class, i never submitted work or practise essays (as i thought i was going to drop the subject and hence deemed it as a waste of my time - i also recommend that you don't do this, i just got really lucky with how things turned out) yet because i genuinely connected with the course, my marks for all my exams were better than my advanced english results. Currently i am rank 3/87 ext 1 students.

The elective course we did for year 12 was literary mindscapes - if your school does this i'm sure you will really enjoy it, it is really really interesting.

I recommend that you take EXT 1, if you don't enjoy it you can always drop it afterwards.
All the best !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)