Is it worth it studying one term ahead? (1 Viewer)

contro3ler

HSC
I'm asking this specifically for sciences- most tutoring places are a term ahead of school. The way I see it, doing a stuff a term ahead is useless, because you are studying something that will only be relevant 2-3 months into the future, and even if you do the tutoring homework, memorise, revise etc, wouldnt you get the same/better outcome doing it just slightly ahead of school/with school, as what you are doing at tutoring is relevant now?

Even so, everybody still does a term ahead, and asking the rank ones at my school in the grade above me said they both do ACE for phys and chem and are both a term ahead. What am I missing- all the smart ppl say that one term ahead is the best?

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
I'm asking this specifically for sciences- most tutoring places are a term ahead of school. The way I see it, doing a stuff a term ahead is useless, because you are studying something that will only be relevant 2-3 months into the future, and even if you do the tutoring homework, memorise, revise etc, wouldnt you get the same/better outcome doing it just slightly ahead of school/with school, as what you are doing at tutoring is relevant now?

Even so, everybody still does a term ahead, and asking the rank ones at my school in the grade above me said they both do ACE for phys and chem and are both a term ahead. What am I missing- all the smart ppl say that one term ahead is the best?
when you stay one term ahead of school, its good cuz when you actually start to learn the topics in school its gonna be more revision for you instead of learning everything from scratch --> stays in your head more longer + opportunity to clear doubts + more practice.

nathanzhou1234

HSC

I mean yeah studying ahead does give you an advantage cos then school basically becomes revision

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC

Idk man, your story just seems to contradict with your arguement. Studying ahead literally mean you're studying ahead. You're doing all of this content ahead to save lots of time for revision. Even if you're not attending tuition it's common for students to drive/accelerate through content, as this saves so much time. Having this foundation in your head means that you're now way more prepared, and additionally, you will have a substantially greater advantage against other students given you have to only revise your content. Take it for this point of view... If you were studying for the HSC (in a yrs time- assuming from your profile)- there are students that finish their HSC course before the yr even starts, this allows to have a massive period of time to practice, practice, and practice. Build these foundations and finding every possible mistake they can and fix them (solidifying less tendency to make careless errors), which can substantially help when the real exam comes up.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I studied ahead during my HSC. It can be very helpful but it all depends on does the student actually use it effectively. There isn't much point just doing content 1 term ahead if you don't in that time do the tutoring hw, make notes and actively engage with the content by doing some past paper questions. If you are just using it as a way to see the content earlier and not trying to understand the content properly it probably doesn't have that much benefit as you will forget quite a bit of the content unless you have a good memory and are able to pick up concepts quickly.

I used the studying ahead so that before the content showed up at school I was doing past paper questions relevant to that area in that time and had made my notes. That way when the content came up at school I had already spent 2 months or so doing questions on it and then the 2nd time around the content came up you can clear any small weaknesses you have. Essentially the benefit of studying ahead is you get more time to practice the content using exam like questions. It works well for subjects like the sciences and maths where it is very content heavy and it takes time to first learn and then practice the content but probably not as helpful for things like english where doing it over and over doesn't always mean you will improve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)