Is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ive been stressing over this point the whole of today, and it probably only hit me today, thus my need to panic and worry, but my Bachelor of Arts is near useless, and i need to transfer into another course.

The courses i had in mind were, B IT LLB or B CompSci or BArts LLB(law).

Heres the thing, to xfer into BIT i needed 12 cp's, i missed out on one for xferring this semester, which really shit me, but isnt too bad, just means ill have to do BA whilst doing the cores for BIT, and hopefully not miss out on much, after which i planned to do the 2 compulsory law subjects next year to be accepted into the Law component of the combined degree. The thing is, i really only have one shot at it undergrad, as i cant enrol into it past the end of 2nd year. And since i need to do the two units, which are a full year in length, i dont have much time.

I planned to do this so at least the BIT was something i can fall back on, but ive been told it really doesnt mean much in the real world. Can someone please give me some more insight on this, am i wasting my time on a BA variant for computers?

My other option lay in a BA LLB, since im already doing a BA, i have less stress to worry about, but i still need to get accepted into the quota, and my 4 Passes from first sem aren't exactly a shining beacon telling them to pick me. At this point i want to stress that i am enthusiastic for law, and that ive had 2 years experience working in a law office, and having an active role in it. Does this help my case at all ? The other problem is that BA doesnt exactly hold any real significance in real life and as such really doesnt help me much in getting a job, or does it?

The other option i was exploring was Bcompsci @ UTS, i was wondering if there were any others who transferred into it from another uni, and how easy/difficult is it to do so.

Thanks for listening to my annoying ramblings -_-"

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I was probably the first one besides you to view the thread, haha, but yeh, I dunno what to say :). I'll read your post though first, ahha.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Mmm... your actual questions could have been more explicit. :p

AsyLum said:
I planned to do this so at least the BIT was something i can fall back on, but ive been told it really doesnt mean much in the real world. Can someone please give me some more insight on this, am i wasting my time on a BA variant for computers?
Irrespective of whether or not the BIT "means much in the real world", it's probably better than the BA.

AsyLum said:
My other option lay in a BA LLB ... 4 Passes from first sem ... i am enthusiastic for law ... 2 years experience working in a law office ...
Does this help my case at all ? The other problem is that BA doesnt exactly hold any real significance in real life and as such really doesnt help me much in getting a job, or does it?
It's unlikely that experience and enthusiasm will assist you when the time comes for offers to be made, but they'll help you get through it once you're in.

With respect to the second limb of that query, any degree is better than no degree, even if it is a BA. Better degrees allow greater access to upper management positions. It really depends on what you want to do.

AsyLum said:
The other option i was exploring was Bcompsci @ UTS, i was wondering if there were any others who transferred into it from another uni, and how easy/difficult is it to do so.
Mmm, talk to Mark. It seems to be relatively straightforward, particularly if you write a nice personal statement.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that laz, muchly appreciated

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that flyin, that first link was an interesting read, hehe s/he is basically in the same seat im in :)

Time to do well and get my gpa i think thanks.

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
asylum, isn't the guy that got the highest uai and all-rounder award in ur grade at ur school doing a BA? Michael something or other...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Is a plain BA truly that useless? Im sure it doesnt offer as specific career pathways as others but it must have some pathways after graduation doesnt it? People seem to dismiss it alot but is it completely justified? Im only in Yr 12 so I don't know but would like to find out :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tenax - Michael smith i think is doing nano tech at uts

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
Is a plain BA truly that useless? Im sure it doesnt offer as specific career pathways as others but it must have some pathways after graduation doesnt it? People seem to dismiss it alot but is it completely justified? Im only in Yr 12 so I don't know but would like to find out :)
It is as useful as you want it to be, basically. It may not be as vocational as an engineering degree, but the BA (which was once what a young woman studied if she wished to entertain her future husband :p) still enables the student to gain the generic skills that all degrees are meant to provide. However, many career opportunities do exist for BA units of study, so it is not as airy-fairy as many believe.

It is also an issue of what you want to gain from your degree. If you are seeking a career, then the BA may not be your best option, but if you are seeking an education, then the BA would be a fantastic choice*.

*I know that it is not the only degree of this nature (and that all degrees offer an education), but I was just making a point.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
If transferring during the course of the BA is not possible or feasable, but someone planned to do a Grad course after it, would it be better to have done a "career" type course or a BA? This is not completely unrelated to Asylum's original post, because if he doesnt suceed in transferring DURING the course, would a BA be a good foundation for Grad law?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Generator said:
It is as useful as you want it to be, basically. It may not be as vocational as an engineering degree, but the BA (which was once what a young woman studied if she wished to entertain her future husband :p)

an engineer???????? ok, right :confused:

santaslayer

HSC
Sarah168 said:
If transferring during the course of the BA is not possible or feasable, but someone planned to do a Grad course after it, would it be better to have done a "career" type course or a BA? This is not completely unrelated to Asylum's original post, because if he doesnt suceed in transferring DURING the course, would a BA be a good foundation for Grad law?
Any generic degree like B Arts is often used as a stepping stone to graduate law, yes.
http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=37336

B Arts can also be a 'career type' course as well if you plan your subjects correctly. eg. B Arts may lead you to become a professional accountant. (provided that you take the right subjects).

My Micreconomics lecturer graduated from an B Arts (Economics) course. LoLz :p

I'm not sure what you are alluding to when you ask if it is a good foundation to law. Do you mean will it get you ready for law or are you more concerned with the selection process, and feel that a B Arts is inferior compared to something more 'vocational'?

A B Arts will be a proper foundation to law. You can even combine it at an undergraduate level. Most skills gained from a B Arts is very applicable to law, especially research and writing.

For the selection process though, click the link above. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, ive come to the realisation my best bet at mq seems to be a BA LLB, and hopefully get selected within the quota after this sem, and hopefully do the two subjects next year.

As a backup, ive decided to undertake a BCompSci/BIT/BEco thread just in case.

Ingypingy

HSC
Hi ho. I just had this brainwave that I want to do Industrial Design. At UTS, the UAI is 81.35, and UNSW it is 80.00. Why then is UWS 70.00?! Is that a refelection on the course and the kind of people who do it? I mean, 10 points is a fair bit...

Also, UWS seems to have this weird taboo surrounding it about being second rate... I don't know why. Maybe it is just snobbery, but is there anything to the idea?

Taa heaps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)