Is itr eally neccesary to memorise the precipitation reactions and the processes to.. (1 Viewer)

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
and the processes to identifty ions in solution?

My teacher said yes. I'm a little unsure aobut that reply, because there is quite alot of memorise, as well as it not being directly asked for in the syllabus.

lychnobity

HSC
Re: Is itr eally neccesary to memorise the precipitation reactions and the processes

and the processes to identifty ions in solution?

My teacher said yes. I'm a little unsure aobut that reply, because there is quite alot of memorise, as well as it not being directly asked for in the syllabus.
yes it is.

In the 3rd section of the cmm topic, one of the bullet points says: "deduce the ions present in a sample from the results of tests"

How are you to deduce if you don't know the tests?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
Re: Is itr eally neccesary to memorise the precipitation reactions and the processes

yeah, it can be examined, theres dotpoints on this...

sam5

HSC

i would have thought that it was only important to know what to add to a sample if suspected of certain ions.

e.g. add barium ions to test for sulfates (a white precipitate i think), add hydroxides to test for copper ions if a flame test is inappropriate (u will get a blue precipitate).

micuzzo

HSC

^ i think only the main ones are needed... i have never come across an HSC question where u needed to kno the steps in detail... then again i havent done all the hsc papers.

shinigami66

HSC

do we need to know everything about EDTA and Winkler methods? the methods are so annoying and hard to memorise =[

joben

HSC

this is talking about the precepititaion reactions for anions and cations-not water testing. But for EDTA and WInkler I don't tink u gotta know it in detail.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

do we need to know everything about EDTA and Winkler methods? the methods are so annoying and hard to memorise =[
You need to know what they are, ie EDTA is a method for hardness, and Winkler is for DO. But aside from that, you don't need to know anything else.

Marina89

HSC

I know all the precipitation tests but are there any equations I need to memorise?

harry4

HSC

wtf are EDTA and the winkler thing. we definitely never learnt that. for dissolved oxygen could u do electrolysis and then say the product(not sure what it would be) is proportional to DO

harry4

HSC

????????

kwabon

Banned
HSC

wtf are EDTA and the winkler thing. we definitely never learnt that. for dissolved oxygen could u do electrolysis and then say the product(not sure what it would be) is proportional to DO
EDTA and winkler method are just ways to test for hardness and dissolved oxygen.

harry4

HSC

so do i have to know anything about them or just say like

dissolved oxygen can be measured using the winkler method

boxhunter91

HSC

All we hope is for a M.C on this and not a 5 marker..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)