• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is just 10 units too much of a risk (1 Viewer)

frenchboston

HSC
N/A
I am doing English Advanced ( only cos I have to )
Chem
Physics
Maths Ext1
Maths Ext2
SDD

I did poorly in my first term assessments for Chem, Physics and English Adv. Well in Maths and SDD - I have a learning difficulty which I have had since primary and wont get any assistance re extra time etc from BOS based on what I know about applications and how they got treated this year.... The work load for me is huge because I am such a slow reader and writer - so I am seriously thinking of asking to drop Chem as I have to have Physics to do engineering... Or am I just screwed already...
( doing English Advanced because my tutor says my issues re writing will be the same for std as for advanced and advanced scales better and std is as much work...)
Any advice?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
No, it's not. Alot of people have done 10 units and did fine.

Up to personal preference.

/close thread

PS. keep chem, you'll need it for engineering. HSC physics is probably less useful than chem for negineering.

eng adv and eng std scales basically the same, your tutor is lolworthy.

NewiJapper

HSC
Try getting a doctors notification so you can contact the BOS or your principal to allow you to get extra time :)

frenchboston

HSC
N/A
I want to do electrical or mechanical engineering not civil...
will check with the uni re the prereq as I probably would do better at chem than physics
issue for me is I am going to have argue real hard to go down to 10 units as its against school policy...

joecarling

HSC
heaps of people have done 10 units so it's fine to drop. you can devote more time to concentrate on 10 units.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, it is risky - you'll find the best students do 12 units, as they have a back up. Really, it's up to personal preference.

Eddykungfu

HSC
nah 10 units is fine if you know when to pull out.
juts ejaculate outside and no baby.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
issue for me is I am going to have argue real hard to go down to 10 units as its against school policy...
Your school doesn't let you do 10 Units? That's total bullshit. Go complain. Seriously.

jet

Banned
HSC
You should be allowed to do 10 units. If the school refuses, contact the Board of Studies and they should be able to help with the issue.

Re: your learning difficulty, if you can get a qualified medical opinion which proves that the difficulty will affect exam performance, BOS will give you special provisions. Just because you 'heard' something about special provisions doesn't mean you won't get it. Many of the people applying get rejected because they are just trying to take advantage of the provisions in an unfair way.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Personally, I would think being this stupid is more of a risk to the OP's results.
Everything in life has pros and cons. Weigh them yourself.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Shadowdude said:
Well, it is risky - you'll find the best students do 12 units, as they have a back up. Really, it's up to personal preference.
Yeah, cos the '10er really knows what the hell he's talking about.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay then, I bring your attention to the 2009 UAC Table A7, "Number of Units completed by ATAR":

99+ ATAR - 940 people - 81% of them did more than 10 units, 36% of them did 12 units
98-99 ATAR - 934 people - 74% of them did more than 10 units, 34% of them did 12 units
97-98 ATAR - 924 people - 75% of them did more than 10 units, 34% of them did 12 units

This trend of the majority doing more than 10 units goes until 71-72 ATAR, where 49% of them did more than 10 units. This new trend continues for the rest of the table.

So obviously the higher ATAR achievers are statistically more inclined to do more than 10 units.

adriano_negr0

HSC
The higher the atar the more careful students are of having a backup. 10 units is fine

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Okay then, I bring your attention to the 2009 UAC Table A7, "Number of Units completed by ATAR":

99+ ATAR - 940 people - 81% of them did more than 10 units, 36% of them did 12 units
98-99 ATAR - 934 people - 74% of them did more than 10 units, 34% of them did 12 units
97-98 ATAR - 924 people - 75% of them did more than 10 units, 34% of them did 12 units

This trend of the majority doing more than 10 units goes until 71-72 ATAR, where 49% of them did more than 10 units. This new trend continues for the rest of the table.

So obviously the higher ATAR achievers are statistically more inclined to do more than 10 units.
I'm sorry, but since when does 34-36% of the best students suddenly equal "[all] the best students"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)