is law ok?? (1 Viewer)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
yes, like totally! although i must say usyd is above both...but that's besides the point

in answer to your question: durrrrh! :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I drove past the USyd Law school on Monday...it looks like a small UTS, but with the USyd shield on it. And it's on Macquarie street (no irony intended)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
how does law at UNSW compare to law at UTS?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
its better.

"how does unsw compare to law at usyd" - without injuring too many unsw-er egos, usyd is better

:D:p:D

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
yeah, i assumed so. still factoring in the extra minimum 20 min bus trip from central to UNSW, UTS law will hav to take 2nd pref to syd.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
oh im all for law at Sydney.. having more trouble being enthusiastic about the rather high number needed to get in to this exclusive club.

anyone know a back entrance?? i hear it takes a year to walk around the side... and sum HD average..

EDIT: this is probably sacrilege considering this is a UNSW law forum..

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
yeah ive heard that.. its not really a matter of which Uni is better for me... UNSW is just too hard to get to.

plus i wanna do ecos an social sciences / law..

if i dun get in there.. UTS..

Last edited:

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
if ur going to either unsw or usyd, it really depends on how well you do in that respective institution. btw this comes from a partner at a major law firm, so im assuming he's rite.

but when u look at it, unsw law's only been around 50years, compared with 150 for usyd. rite now, the majority of the echelon of sydney's legal world studied at usyd, and just how you can start a conversation with a total stranger who just happened to go to your school, i think the same goes for unis as well. just a thought. :D

rude

hi friends
so...what is the BACK ENTRANCE to Law?? cause i know that i will not get 99.60(i am hoping to get somewhere in 80s). some silly kids say to me: "do very well in B.Arts and then transfer after one year to Law" and i am like:"yeah, ok sounds like a plan but what if i will not get good marks after the 1st year?"

PLEASE EXPLAIN

thanks in advance
P.S. i dont understand why law is soo popular?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you can't do well enough to obtain sufficient marks to transfer, chances are you wouldn't have succeeded with law anyway... ?

You should apply for a degree which you would be content doing if you can't transfer.

sei

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
If you can't do well enough to obtain sufficient marks to transfer, chances are you wouldn't have succeeded with law anyway... ?
i disagree, as the implication is that law's high UAI is based on its academic rigour -it's not, it's based solely on its popularity.

i can't suggest any better ways for transfers etc, but i don't agree that if you don't get the marks to transfer that you probably wouldn't have succeeded with law anyway.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you're doing law at one of the top universities, you're competing against everyone who was accepted into the program - students with UAIs of 99+. USYD and UNSW bell curve their marks so that the result you receive depends on the proportion of students you beat.

If you can't manage to obtain a D average in a degree with less competition, you're going to really struggle to do well in one with more.

That was the point I was trying to make, anyway; it's arguable.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
for first years transfer still takes into acount your UAI, doesn't it? So depending on your UAI it may take up to a whole degree worth of distinctions to convince them you're "good enough"

SoFTuaRiaL

its the same for unsw, 50-uai and 50-first yr. but for students applying for transfer after 2nd yr, the uai is not considered

sei

HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
If you're doing law at one of the top universities, you're competing against everyone who was accepted into the program - students with UAIs of 99+. USYD and UNSW bell curve their marks so that the result you receive depends on the proportion of students you beat.

If you can't manage to obtain a D average in a degree with less competition, you're going to really struggle to do well in one with more.

That was the point I was trying to make, anyway; it's arguable.
so I guess then that there should never be any full-fee paying students, because they are really going to struggle? (I mean people were getting in with 94.3 at UNSW into law last year weren't they?).

It's just I have a problem with the lines that are sometimes drawn. Eg a HECS student with 99.25 won't get into law, but a full-fee payer who can afford it will get in with a mark around 95, or even a bit below.

Anyway, the students who got 99+ obviously worked very hard at high school at their subjects. But I still don't see how this translates to a high level of competition within law.. someone may have been an absolute expert in the sciences and 4U maths etc etc, and that's great, but that doesn't mean that you are necessarily going to perform well in law (having had no previous legal knowledge whatsoever). You said that one would struggle to do well with one with 'more' competition, but I don't think the amount really affects it, as I'm sure some of the popular arts and commerce subjects would have similar numbers to law. It's the quality of the candidates, not the quantity..

At least MBBS and B.Psych were still (local) full-fee paying student-free last year.. :) :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
By 'more' competition, I meant quality, not quantity - a group of students with UAIs of 99+ would usually be more difficult to beat than a group with 85+. The reason why UAIs are used to determine entrance to universities is because they're the best single predictor of success with tertiary education.

You're right, though, there are a number of fee-payers who do well, so it must be possible. I guess you should just make sure that you're willing to work hard, in case you do find it to be a bit of a struggle.

Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
its the same for unsw, 50-uai and 50-first yr. but for students applying for transfer after 2nd yr, the uai is not considered
I don't think you can transfer to undergraduate combined law if you've completed more than one year.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by SoFTuaRiaL
i thought uai = 25% second yr performance = 75%........i know for syd it is lyk that....

Originally posted by sei
so I guess then that there should never be any full-fee paying students, because they are really going to struggle? (I mean people were getting in with 94.3 at UNSW into law last year weren't they?).
laz was replying to *rude* who said he is hoping to get an uai of mid 80....there is a big differnce between mid 80 and 95 .

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)