Is MATH1004 (Discrete Mathematics) important for an Adv Maths major? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm currently doing a double degree (engg & adv. sci) aiming for a major in advanced mathematics, and just want to know if the content of the MATH1004 unit is retaught in a later unit of study (e.g. MATH2069) or if its an important unit of study on its own. Im considering dropping engineering (i feel like its really boring), and want to try out programming as an elective in semester 2 to see if I'd like it, which means I have to choose between MATH1004 or INFO1103 (assuming I can't make it to summer school).

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
The handbook seems to be pretty out-dated considering it says MATH1904 still exists. I'm 99% sure you can't do both 1004/1905.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
You can't do both MATH1004 and MATH1905 though.

From what I've heard you cover what you need from MATH1004 in MATH1905 anyway.
That's not correct, you can do both (as I recall Asianese did this last year). The topics covered by both subjects are quite different; the Statistics course focuses more on data analysis/inference and probability, meanwhile Discrete Mathematics delves into stuff like sets, counting and mathematical induction (that's probably a very crude explanation but you get the general idea).

OP, you don't have to do MATH1004 if you don't want to, it isn't a prerequisite for MATH2069 so I believe they would teach you most of the relevant content anyway. If, however, you decide later on to pursue programming and computer science, I would say that MATH1004 is definitely needed.

I'd actually recommend that if you can't decide between MATH1004 and INFO1103 you should do both. MATH1004 is only 3 credit points so you would only be slightly over the standard workload, which shouldn't be too difficult to manage if you are a good student. And if it is, you'll have an idea of what you like more after a week or two of doing both subjects, so you can drop one without a problem if you so desire.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
That's not correct, you can do both (as I recall Asianese did this last year). The topics covered by both subjects are quite different; the Statistics course focuses more on data analysis/inference and probability, meanwhile Discrete Mathematics delves into stuff like sets, counting and mathematical induction (that's probably a very crude explanation but you get the general idea).

OP, you don't have to do MATH1004 if you don't want to, it isn't a prerequisite for MATH2069 so I believe they would teach you most of the relevant content anyway. If, however, you decide later on to pursue programming and computer science, I would say that MATH1004 is definitely needed.

I'd actually recommend that if you can't decide between MATH1004 and INFO1103 you should do both. MATH1004 is only 3 credit points so you would only be slightly over the standard workload, which shouldn't be too difficult to manage if you are a good student. And if it is, you'll have an idea of what you like more after a week or two of doing both subjects, so you can drop one without a problem if you so desire.
wtf I've always been told you couldn't. So doing 1004/1905/1907 next sem if I can.

HSC
Ohhh okay thanks for the answer! Does that mean that MATH1004 would only be needed for programming, etc. (seeing it as would mostly be covered in MATH2969)? So, if possible, I can just go and do MATH1004 in summer school if I decide I want to follow through with programming?

I'm just really cautious about going into a semester with three extra cp because I kind of already have a pretty high workload with only 24cp

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah you can do MATH1004 later in Summer School if you want. It's needed for computer science, but if you only intend on doing maths, you should be fine doing MATH2969 without it.

That's not to say that the stuff you learn in MATH1004 wouldn't be useful background knowledge for it though.

Andrew759

HSC
Yeah you can do MATH1004 later in Summer School if you want. It's needed for computer science, but if you only intend on doing maths, you should be fine doing MATH2969 without it.

That's not to say that the stuff you learn in MATH1004 wouldn't be useful background knowledge for it though.
Actually, its not needed for Computer Science, rather it is recommended. Most of what is taught it MATH1004 is taught in MATH2069 and I think some is also taught in ELEC1601.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah sorry, should have made myself more clear. It is assumed knowledge for some intermediate computing units, so while you don't need to do it, you would probably be at a disadvantage if you had no knowledge of discrete mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)