is maths worth it for the HSC (1 Viewer)

willbman

HSC
maths is pretty much my worst subject at the moment, and i have to drop a few units, so would there be any major repercussions in getting rid of maths? would it hurt my options for uni, or is it possiable to get around.
thanks

willbman

HSC
well basically it wont have much to do with science. but is the content learnt in year 12 that necessary for any degree anyway?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
rarely. but keep in mind, you can always do a bridging course.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
willbman said:
maths is pretty much my worst subject at the moment, and i have to drop a few units, so would there be any major repercussions in getting rid of maths? would it hurt my options for uni, or is it possiable to get around.
thanks
The only way it will 'hurt your options' so to speak is by dragging down your UAI, or if it is a preresquite subject for whatever course you intend to do.

I did 2U Maths for the hell of it, and by the time I realized I wanted to drop it, it was a little late. I ended up not studying for it at all, and got a 55 on the final HSC exam, but it was ok because I was doing 12 units. I'm doing fine at uni now, though I suck when it comes to anything remotely mathematical (this is due to my ineptitude at mathematics, not my performance/attitude towards it in the HSC)

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
willbman said:
well basically it wont have much to do with science. but is the content learnt in year 12 that necessary for any degree anyway?
as said b4, wat degree are u planning to do, as some degrees have mathematics as a prerequisite or assumed knowledge i think, so yeh, the content learnt in yr12 matters depending on wat degree you plan to complete.

so wat degrees have you been lookin at?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
willbman said:
thanks
Depends what you plan to major in and what sort of science you do.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
slinky said:
as said b4, wat degree are u planning to do, as some degrees have mathematics as a prerequisite or assumed knowledge i think, so yeh, the content learnt in yr12 matters depending on wat degree you plan to complete.

so wat degrees have you been lookin at?
no such thing as prereqs anymore

willbman

HSC
so without prereqs these days, accept for the advanced science degrees etc, i am fairly safe sticking away from the maths? im thinking probably more a commerce, law, arts type degree atm.
thanks.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
willbman said:
thanks
It doesn't matter where you want to go in life, you should TRY to do as much maths as you can possibly handle. It's one of the few subjects which will benefit you even if you don't get a job which involves maths at all. Employers also love employees with good maths skills.

willbman

HSC
yea but seriously how much of the year12 content is applicable to a working situation. having a sound mathematical knowledge doesnt have to involve knowing how to find the roots of a two sentence equation.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
lateral thinking, problem solving, etc

sumkid

Goldmember
HSC
MATHS iS GAAAAAY

MATHS IS GAY do we actually need dat crap pfff yeah im gonna become a algebra manager wen i grow up!
I could go good in it if i wanted but that would mean my physics mark probably will be left out which is da only reason i do it & cos its interestin. so im not focusin much on it cos maths is my 12th unit & only ur best 10 units get counted 4 ur UAI (english always counts which is also gay)
Does new yr12 kids want 2 buy my IT-vet & english AOS notes email me at black_phede@hotmail.com

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
willbman said:
so without prereqs these days, accept for the advanced science degrees etc, i am fairly safe sticking away from the maths? im thinking probably more a commerce, law, arts type degree atm.
thanks.
If you are going to do commerce you need maths.

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
bscienceboi said:
ditto that, i do business, and yes maths would come in handy and afterall 2u is assumed knowledge for commerce/business.

S

Shuter

bscienceboi said:
No you don't, the maths in com/bus a chimp could do so long as you aren't majoring in finance/some fields.

KD

HSC
N/A
You will seriously limit your prospects in all fields if you don't have the basic maths (yr12).

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
No you don't, the maths in com/bus a chimp could do so long as you aren't majoring in finance/some fields.
the maths is very easy for most people, but i think the maths for stats (a core subject of bus/comm degree) could be a bit challeging for ppl who didnt do any maths or extremely hate maths (and they'd probabaly would suk at maths also). so yeh stick with maths imo.

Adam

HSC
I have a friend who never even did maths them jumped straight into MATH1001/03/05/02 (first year maths). He found it incredibly difficult and failed two of them, but it's still doable. A lot of uni (that I've found) is all about effort, and has little to do with previous knowledge.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Adam said:
A lot of uni (that I've found) is all about effort, and has little to do with previous knowledge.
I would disagree with that. Most of first year uni is about previous knowledge, which if you don't have will require a lot of effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)