Is Matrix+ any good? (1 Viewer)

purplesean

HSC
I've seen Matrix plus ads about their online course but was wondering if it's worth trying?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
for sciences 100%, i love the resources (idk about maths/eng but i heard they're a bit mid) they get shipped just before the next holiday break so you can speed through the module in the holidays and stay ahead, so that during the term i just do past paper qs to review (that's what i do)

purplesean

HSC
oh ok, yeah i was thinking of doing it for Chemistry and maybe English if the content is any good.

are the QA forums helpful? like idk if it's just like another bored of studies where other students answer your questions or do tutors answer also?

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
for sciences 100%, i love the resources (idk about maths/eng but i heard they're a bit mid) they get shipped just before the next holiday break so you can speed through the module in the holidays and stay ahead, so that during the term i just do past paper qs to review (that's what i do)
pro tactic i used as well

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
oh ok, yeah i was thinking of doing it for Chemistry and maybe English if the content is any good.

are the QA forums helpful? like idk if it's just like another bored of studies where other students answer your questions or do tutors answer also?
sort of it is - the people there go above and beyond to help. I often just spammed questions to get an answer, and they would get back to me (u can also ask for tips on assignments and other exam queries too)

jonhysmitw2

HSC
sort of it is - the people there go above and beyond to help. I often just spammed questions to get an answer, and they would get back to me (u can also ask for tips on assignments and other exam queries too)
Did you use it for maths aswell? if so how was it

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
for sciences its not rlly needed tho right? like i could do just as well with just other ppls notes, past paper question and textbook and my teachers help except for free and not wasting money right?

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
for sciences its not rlly needed tho right? like i could do just as well with just other ppls notes, past paper question and textbook and my teachers help except for free and not wasting money right?
Its way more structured. doesnt compress content so much to the point where too much has been condensed, but doesnt branch out of syllabus and add irrrelevant stuff.

i_am_a_barbie_girl

HSC

I have done it for english and its not helpful, in fact it just takes time away from doing your school work. The just through the content like the school and discuss a few questions. and each week you get hw like 'write a intro on this' which you submit and get feedback on. And the questions are no way near the ones you would get in an exam.
For the science subjects, my friend says that they go through hsc questions along the way so like one or two at the end of a section or they put trial paper questions (they reference them ofc they have to). For maths its the same, except they put questions from past like 1998 that is related to the syllabus. so maths and science is recommended.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i do chem, the chem resources are so good and they're so easy to follow, especially with the more theory heavy stuff like module 7 the theory book's pretty helpful because they address exactly what i need and it's easy to navigate to what i need. i've never been a fan of using other people's notes, i like the process of either making my own or going through the theory book in an online lesson. i like the matrix workbook because it has questions that are actually relevant to the hsc and are of similar difficulty and basically a bunch of qs you'd expect in an exam (+ they put in a hsc q here and there from much older hsc papers), but definitely you can do without matrix. for me i like having structure which is easier for a tutoring place to do rather than i try to do it all myself, esp since textbooks can sometimes go all over the place or miss some things

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
I have done it for english and its not helpful, in fact it just takes time away from doing your school work. The just through the content like the school and discuss a few questions. and each week you get hw like 'write a intro on this' which you submit and get feedback on. And the questions are no way near the ones you would get in an exam.
For the science subjects, my friend says that they go through hsc questions along the way so like one or two at the end of a section or they put trial paper questions (they reference them ofc they have to). For maths its the same, except they put questions from past like 1998 that is related to the syllabus. so maths and science is recommended.
Matrix english/maths are not worth it. too repeitive and is just bland.

carrotsss

HSC
Its way more structured. doesnt compress content so much to the point where too much has been condensed, but doesnt branch out of syllabus and add irrrelevant stuff.
I donโ€™t do matrix+ so idk if itโ€™s better, but this is an actual problem, a lot of science resources either go onto unnecessary out of syllabus tangents and way too much boring detail or miss tons of detail and are too condensed

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
I donโ€™t do matrix+ so idk if itโ€™s better, but this is an actual problem, a lot of science resources either go onto unnecessary out of syllabus tangents and way too much boring detail or miss tons of detail and are too condensed
yeah. I had this issue for a while (prolly Aved around 70% on topic tests bc I've always relied on pearson textbook and condensed study notes from senior years). I got matrix + and managed to average 96+% on my second semester sci tests. It's just easy bc these mfers did all the hard work, all you've gotta do is just gotta put all that knowledge on paper in the real test. Crazy thing too is they provide the syllabus outcomes to show that they definately completed all required dot points. I genuinely think its worth it tbh.

i_am_a_barbie_girl

HSC
Matrix english/maths are not worth it. too repeitive and is just bland.
maybe cause you have a better maths teacher than me.
but english is not helpful at all, I wish i knew that before I wasted money for the whole of year 11

pogchampion

HSC
Personally, I think that Matrix+ is the best offering that Matrix has.
The only thing that comes close is the holiday course, but in that you don't get official support/assistance throughout the term if you need it (but if you do go that way, hmu ๐Ÿ˜‚).

I think Matrix+ is good because you can speedrun the whole term's content in 2 or 3 weeks and if you get stuck, you can message on their own Matrix+ forum. I think the forum is better because you can get a better thought out response than one that the teacher comes up on a whim during class.
I quite like the teachers for Matrix in-person classes because they are professional and qualified, however the students in the classes are not the best to learn with - this is true for almost every tutoring centre except for ones where you have to do a test to get in. Because of this, I didn't mind the online environment, except that it does get draining if you 'binge' too much matrix+ at once. To be honest, matrix+ is better than (or at the very least on par with) UNSW mathematics in terms of student support and resources.

As for the alternative, I liked the holiday course and the students in your class are pretty hardworking (they sacrified their holidays to be there). However, I didn't have a private tutor so if you have questions during the term it can be difficult to get an answer.

Good luck :)

pogchampion

HSC

Every tutoring centre sucks for english. Try and find a good private english tutor asap - in year 12 I wasn't able to find someone who did my texts and was good. You could start with figuring out exactly what texts you are doing in year 12. A good hack would be to ask people in the years above you who popped off in English.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Every tutoring centre sucks for english. Try and find a good private english tutor asap - in year 12 I wasn't able to find someone who did my texts and was good. You could start with figuring out exactly what texts you are doing in year 12.
btw did u do eco? if so im gonna dm u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)