is my creative 'belonging' story idea suitable? (1 Viewer)

katiep3

HSC
i'm thinking of doing a creative piece for an assessment due soon on a young girl who struggles to belong in her circle of friends and school due to her gay sexuality? i think it would be modern and a bit out there but it's definitely an issue that is relevant today.... any thoughts on improvements or whatever are welcomed! thankyou!

bubblesss

HSC
sorry to say this, but ur story is a bit cliched.....
try changing the plot a bit.

katiep3

HSC
yeah that's what i was thinking... i ended up writing a completely different story cos i had to hand in the assignment. but yeah if i need to write another one i'd definitely add some more depth to the plot... thanks!

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
what abt one abt an abusive relationship where the femals chooses to remain because she belongs?

sahel

HSC
you do realize that is a very sensitive issue to markers

you have to realize that most are elderly and conservative

it's foolish to think they have the same open minded views as we do

ask your teacher but i would stay away from that stuff

Lukybear

HSC
You'd be suprised the open-minded ness of some hsc markers. Some are quite modern and quirky.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
As bubbles said, stay away frm cliches altogether. That includes suicides, really corny breakups, death, divorce, adoption, school-based events, roadtrips and anything like an episode of an OC.

aero135

Super Ultimate User!
HSC
any suggestions for a short story coz clintmyster u have eliminated all posible stories that i can think of

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
aero135 said:
any suggestions for a short story coz clintmyster u have eliminated all posible stories that i can think of
if you can get ahold of the top journey creatives that would be useful.

Things that work could be simple things like not belonging in a sport team and being left out because of some reason (an injury maybe?). You don't want to make your plot over-dramatic and cliche but something realistic. Its best to choose something that actually happened to you but try and stay away from school matters and other cliches because face it, half the state is gonna do that. If you want the marker not to pass your story off like the other 30000 people then you need to be different.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Why not something a bit out there:

- Autistic boy belonging in a non-autistic world (or Aspergers).
- Gifted person belonging in a non-gifted classroom.
- A gifted person belonging in a class filled with people who go to coaching clinics.
- An older person belonging in a younger person's world - eg mature age student at Uni, an older teacher at a school with mostly enw recruits.
- A Gen-X person in a Gen-Y group (or vice versa)

So many ifhs out of water stories to be told!

shell.q

HSC
i was just thinking of that autistic one then i read it, mainly becuase i volenteer with starlight childrens and i though you know hwo they say personal experiance you right better, i guess, how those ill children have the desire to belong into a world illness free. how they may belong in their community in the hospital starlight room but in reality when they come out do they really belong to the society that they live in

petite chimiste

HSC
I think it would be good to challenge the usual ideas about belonging -
Maybe have a protagonist who completely doesn't belonging to their peer group, to society or wherever, but have them totally content with themselves (woooo self belonging haha)
I think the markers will be bombarded with stories about teenagers feeling isolated, or kids being bullied etc

VanDAmme

HSC
N/A
its very cliched. as long as you do it in a non-crap repititive fashion it would be alright.

try to think of something not so typical. think outside the box

HSC
wow, imaginative.

to be honest, all your ideas seem like year 9-10 ideas.

bear with me, however.

the HSC loves when you bring in elements of analogy, dystopia and perspective.

you need to tweak things. create perspective. if you have someone who is handicapped verbally, or mentally, for example: use 3rd person.

but verbal handicaps arent always due to autism, or anything wrong with the person themselves. maybe circumstance plays a part.

subtle analogies work.
bad analogies will not.

dystopia is something you might want to read up on.

if you want to do well, you should read.
find classic books - austen, orwell, dickens, tolstoy, etc.

you are allowed to be influenced. you are supposed to be influenced.

HSC
HI peeps

OMG i came up with a heapsd good idea from my mind.
Its about this girl who like moves to this small town and shes pretty angry about moving there coz its really boring there and stuff. But then she then fully meets this guy and hes really hot, so she falls in love with him coz hes hot. BUT!!! then she finds out he is a vampire!! so then she is heaps stressed coz hes a vampire and might eat her. and she just doesnt belong because all his family are vampires and shes like not one.
Just wondering does anyone have an idea for an ending to my awesome story?

Thankss!

P.S. i dont mind if u take my idea :)

- Standard English
- General Maths
- Senior science
- CAFS
- Society and culture
- TAFE/hairdessing (Y)

UAI AIM: +65 :)
wait, that was negative. i think your idea wouldn't work. vampire shit is so overused. it lacks depth and you couldn't really work with it. i'd also suggest you change your name. or they'll eat you alive on here

its true

Last edited:

ozgirl123

HSC
HI peeps

OMG i came up with a heapsd good idea from my mind.
Its about this girl who like moves to this small town and shes pretty angry about moving there coz its really boring there and stuff. But then she then fully meets this guy and hes really hot, so she falls in love with him coz hes hot. BUT!!! then she finds out he is a vampire!! so then she is heaps stressed coz hes a vampire and might eat her. and she just doesnt belong because all his family are vampires and shes like not one.
Just wondering does anyone have an idea for an ending to my awesome story?

Thankss!

P.S. i dont mind if u take my idea :)

- Standard English
- General Maths
- Senior science
- CAFS
- Society and culture
- TAFE/hairdessing (Y)

UAI AIM: +65 :)
hoping that was a joke?

I've found the best responses to be the simple ideas - you have a 40 minute time slot you don't really have time to set up a massive back story. It's far better to create an atmosphere then to have a massive history to a person that doesn't make sense b/c you can't explain it fully.

Why not write from an unexpected perspective? Show that you know how to use language to create a world or a feeling and then link it back in at the end.

For example - a person describing the world around them and their disconnectedness and at the end they are just someone sitting on a train etc.

You only need to say something about belonging not necessarily why or why they don't belong...

Just some things to think about =]

HSC
OMG, like an unexpected perspective, i could totes do it from the hot vampires perspective, like that would be heaps good for belonging cos he is like a vampire so he doesnt belong. OMG that was so helpful...
thanks babe
Urgh. you make me sick

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OMG, like an unexpected perspective, i could totes do it from the hot vampires perspective, like that would be heaps good for belonging cos he is like a vampire so he doesnt belong. OMG that was so helpful...
thanks babe
LOL. Too much Twilight for you.

PattieBoi

HSC
The story I've got lined up has been getting me marks but also been getting me questioned.

It's about a dude being gay, having a relationship with his teacher, introducing that teacher to his family etc. etc. etc.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sorta against the whole gay/lesbian thing, cause so many people are doing it. But if it works for you - by all means, that's great. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)