• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is my father right - how much of a factor is the 'reputation' of the uni? usyd vs UTS (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Re: is my father right - how much of a factor is the 'reputation' of the uni? usyd vs

Schoey - I know you mean well and all but you gotta learn to shut up and stop spewing shit out of your mouth.

Half the information you know (probably more like 95%+) is based on hearsay and doesn't always hold for a generalisation.

Learn some humility will ya?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Re: is my father right - how much of a factor is the 'reputation' of the uni? usyd vs

job prospects would be a factor, yes (even more so for my dad of course)
would a specific degree not strengthen one's employment prospects in contrast to a generic one though? idk, but i think i may very well end up doing a BA at usyd which would most likely be followed by a masters i trust

this.
@KFunk, would you mind elaborating on the BIGS issue?
I don't know enough about the job market to know whether a specific degree name will impress employers. Assuming that employers that take in graduates look at degree transcripts I would think that marks would be more important than the degree name. In any case, if employers are so superficial that the degree name is of central importance then surely there will be minimal difference between 'Bachelor of International and Global Studies' and 'Bachelor of Arts (International Relations and Political Economy)' - in other words, surely you can present an arts degree to an employer in a way that shows your majors so as to achieve much the same effect. Just think laterally.

If you look at the Bachelor of Int and Global Studies (BIGS) structure (and compare it to the BA) you will notice that it is simply an arts degree with two main differences: (1) there are 4 specific BIGS units that you undertake over the three years of the degree and (2) your choice of majors is slightly more restricted. Ultimately your degree is primarily characterised by your major selection, which would no doubt be much the same in a BA.

It walks like a BA and quacks like a BA, but falls under a different name. In any case, a rose by any other name and all that junk.

HSC
N/A

Heard of Harold Bloom? He teaches at Yale. Heard of Tony Blair? So does he.
Out of all the eminent academics and scientists, you manage to pick 'Tony Blair', who gives lectures on 'faith and globalisation'.

What a disgusting little mind you have

-To OP, listen to your dad, he's right

bio_nut

HSC

The "have your balls even dropped yet" comment is inappropriate and I don't know why I bothered to justify your post with a response, but I felt I should inform you that:

my testes descended or dropped about six years ago. I'm 16 for crying out loud.

And remember that making silly comments like that means people will take the points you raise less seriously.

haahahahahahaha, you just proved everyone's points against you, you child, lol

philphie

Banned
HSC

Out of all the eminent academics and scientists, you manage to pick 'Tony Blair', who gives lectures on 'faith and globalisation'.

What a disgusting little mind you have

-To OP, listen to your dad, he's right

well look who's showing their fat ugly mug around, it's the whistle blower.

Last edited:

Schoey93

HSC

Schoey - I know you mean well and all but you gotta learn to shut up and stop spewing shit out of your mouth.

Half the information you know (probably more like 95%+) is based on hearsay and doesn't always hold for a generalisation.

Learn some humility will ya?
Okay. I just don't agree with this culture of elitism. The OP wants to go to UTS so he should, in my mind, do what he wants to do, not what his father is pushing for. I don't see any point in going to USyd just so that you can brag and say to UTS graduates, "I'm better than you." A accredited degree is an accredited degree. Employers aren't going to favour a USyd graduate over a UTS graduate unless the UTS course was not accredited or the UTS graduate achieved a "Pass" in every subject and no credits or higher etc.

I would rather have someone who was well-rounded and a good person in general work for me than someone who was an arsehole yet got Honours in a reputable USyd degree. UTS might offer conveniently short travel times if the OP lives in the CBD. USyd might be closer to him, who knows?

If the course he has his heart set on is UTS, then I don't see any other logical choice but UTS. Do what you love dude, not what your Dad wants

Schoey93

HSC

haahahahahahaha, you just proved everyone's points against you, you child, lol
:D
It's funny how you think turning 18 makes you some universities guide guru

HSC

I don't know enough about the job market to know whether a specific degree name will impress employers. Assuming that employers that take in graduates look at degree transcripts I would think that marks would be more important than the degree name. In any case, if employers are so superficial that the degree name is of central importance then surely there will be minimal difference between 'Bachelor of International and Global Studies' and 'Bachelor of Arts (International Relations and Political Economy)' - in other words, surely you can present an arts degree to an employer in a way that shows your majors so as to achieve much the same effect. Just think laterally.

If you look at the Bachelor of Int and Global Studies (BIGS) structure (and compare it to the BA) you will notice that it is simply an arts degree with two main differences: (1) there are 4 specific BIGS units that you undertake over the three years of the degree and (2) your choice of majors is slightly more restricted. Ultimately your degree is primarily characterised by your major selection, which would no doubt be much the same in a BA.

It walks like a BA and quacks like a BA, but falls under a different name. In any case, a rose by any other name and all that junk.
righto, good stuff
thanks very much :)

philphie

Banned
HSC

lolololololololol

dvse

HSC
N/A

It is silly to deny that reputation is not important. For example USyd would be considered vastly better for pure maths than UTS (especially at postgrad level) - this is primarily because its faculty is much better known in the international maths community.

"Bachelor of global studies" - sounds like a feeble attempt at rebranding... Beware.

Schoey93

HSC

Bachelor of Global Studies is an okay course, but why not do Communication and combine it with international studies at UTS - you still learn a second language from beginners level up but you can choose to major in Journalism or Public Communication etc.

You could do:

UTS Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication (Journalism) and in International Studies
UTS Bachelor of Laws and BA in International Studies

Each degree leads to professional accreditation as a journalist or lawyer. The statement "UTS makes becoming a lawyer difficult" is not true; you can do PLT (Practical Legal Training) as a part of the degree in your final year, therefore coming out of the degree a fully qualified lawyer.

http://law.uts.edu.au

Last edited:

Scinery

HSC

Bachelor of Global Studies is an okay course, but why not do Communication and combine it with international studies at UTS - you still learn a second language from beginners level up but you can choose to major in Journalism or Public Communication etc.

You could do:

UTS Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication (Journalism) and in International Studies
UTS Bachelor of Laws and BA in International Studies

Each degree leads to professional accreditation as a journalist or lawyer. The statement "UTS makes becoming a lawyer difficult" is not true; you can do PLT (Practical Legal Training) as a part of the degree in your final year, therefore coming out of the degree a fully qualified lawyer.

UTS: Law

i must have missed the part when the OP said anything about LAW, schoey.

but again, as far as i know

UTS is great for communications, IT, and even great for law

but if your looking for an arts degree, USYD seems to offer NOT ONLY prestige, but more flexibility and an all-round better education. i wouldve LOVED to be able to do arts @ usyd.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A

Sound like you have made your decision. Pick UTS. I used to think UTS was rubbish, but its rep is improving quite fast. It's better than USYD for communications.

HSC

Sound like you have made your decision. Pick UTS. I used to think UTS was rubbish, but its rep is improving quite fast. It's better than USYD for communications.
nah, unfortunately i'm still quite stuck in indecision. i suppose i just don't quite like to think that someone with a UTS qualification would be automatically disadvantaged, but i suppose modern-day society/workplace can very well be harsh when it's no bed of roses to start off with.
but thankyou for the opinion, and thanks much to everyone for taking the effort and time! :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

If you're concerned about which to pick, particularly with an International focus, inquire about their respective international programs, ie exchange, which universities are linked, the courses you can take. Ultimately this will be more important than which course you do and also which languages you wish to concentrate on.

bineal

HSC

so a few days ago, i mentioned to my father as to how i would look into UTS' global studies course as i'd like to keep all options open and would rather not limit myself to usyd and usyd alone. my current first preference is international & global @ usyd, to the delight of my father. but with an atar of 95.70, i understand that there may be a slight possibility of me not making into the course if many others with higher atars have it as their first choice too (2008 cut-off: 94.45). furthermore, the content of global studies @ UTS appears to be broader and seems suit my interests quite a lot more than usyd's, and i've heard that UTS is a lot more vocational which i thought would please my father. however, the expression of interest over a UTS course generated a considerable sense of peevishness within my father, hence - as whenever two stubborn heads clash - a massive debate was conceived over lunch up to the point whereby the bill was entirely forgotten (dad went back to pay the next day).

according to my father, reputation is everything. it determines the strength of the faculty and nature of the student body. he claims that in his experience, he could and can tell the difference between someone who graduated from a uni such a UTS and a usyd graduate (with the usyd graduate being the *~better~* one, of course). in the workforce, as he said, when two similar degrees from different unis are laid out to the employer, the one from the more reputable university automatically outweighs the other. thus, in his words, should i go to a uni such as UTS, my job prospects would be diminished in comparison to those with usyd or unsw qualifications. he added that for an arts/humanities degree, the technological foundations of univeristy of technology sydney would not do me much good. conclusively, my father exclaimed that he would rather i do a generic BA at usyd rather than a specific degree at UTS.

my father's sentiments are very much contradictory to what i've heard from teachers, friends and other adults. i've been told that the degree is what really matters albeit the university; employers do not look too much into the university you graduated from; a newcastle graduate is currently a successful doctor; a usyd law graduate is fierecely competing with graduates from other univeristies for a job at the law firm; the graduate's capability is the most important factor.
i understand that my father is merely being a parent concerned for his child's future, and that a graduate's capability could very well be largely shaped by the faculty.
good people of BOS, what do you reckon? superior rep = stronger faculty and student body? in the arts/humanities faculty and international/global studies course, what is the longstanding difference between usyd and UTS? this uni thing has been really quite frustrating for me; i'm even starting to question my choice of course/career direction.
all sensible response would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance!

(please pardon the length, i know it's a total tl;dr post so thank you very much if you've bothered to read it all)
your father is an idiot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)