Is my teacher holding me back? (1 Viewer)

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Last year, the head of mathematics at my school wanted to help me in applying for a selective school by giving me a sample of stage 3 mathematics.

Last year was a breakthrough for me in terms of studying; i enjoyed it like i never had before. But stage 3 mathematics? It was like a new path was opened up to me. I actually had to stop and consider the questions, i felt challenged and everything felt like it was perfectly explained for me. I breezed through it and i learnt so much in just one afternoon.

However, i have a poor history with my schoolwork, so my teacher put me in standard maths for year 11.

My inconsistent studying has made me unaware or untrained of some basic principles or rules, but its the way the content is presented. Standard math is explained so drawn out and with several examples, i can zone out when im working and i often make mistakes because of it. Advanced math is directly to the point, it treats me like im on its wavelength and i feel like i need that to learn.

I dont doubt year 11 advanced math would use concepts i havent yet learnt, which is why i didnt push to use it, but the year has only just started and already i feel like the info is going through my brain like its a colander, i cant get immersed at all.

Is this my fault as a student? Do i need to buckle down more when i work, or should i bring this up with my math teacher?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Stage 3 is low level maths. Did she mean 5.3??
Also agree she should take it up with teacher that she wants Advanced Maths. The teacher may have assumed, from her past performance, that she'd be more comfortable with "Standard".

Akuri - get yourself switched to Advanced quickly, while it is early days. If you have problems, ask your parents to approach school regarding this. Don't leave it too late.

Carl10101

HSC
Yeah if you are thinking about switching to advanced then do it now, you can always switch back to standard later but you can't switch to advanced later if that makes sense

ultra908

HSC
Yeah if you are thinking about switching to advanced then do it now, you can always switch back to standard later but you can't switch to advanced later if that makes sense
Absolutely. if after a while you feel like advanced isn't right for you, its easy to drop back into standard. But if you don't take the opportunity now, then they most likely won't let you go up into advanced.

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Stage 3 is low level maths. Did she mean 5.3??
Also agree she should take it up with teacher that she wants Advanced Maths. The teacher may have assumed, from her past performance, that she'd be more comfortable with "Standard".

Akuri - get yourself switched to Advanced quickly, while it is early days. If you have problems, ask your parents to approach school regarding this. Don't leave it too late.
Definitely meant 5.3 aha sorry !! I'm concerned as when I bring up this topic with my teacher he becomes very quiet, hesitant and honest. I think he understands that my math is poor because of my underperformance, but I think I'm underperforming because of the material. I'll talk to him again for sure.

Akuri

HSC
N/A
Absolutely. if after a while you feel like advanced isn't right for you, its easy to drop back into standard. But if you don't take the opportunity now, then they most likely won't let you go up into advanced.
This is super reassuring because I was concerned about the workload/dedication required. I hope it isn't too late !!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely meant 5.3 aha sorry !! I'm concerned as when I bring up this topic with my teacher he becomes very quiet, hesitant and honest. I think he understands that my math is poor because of my underperformance, but I think I'm underperforming because of the material. I'll talk to him again for sure.
You have to make it sound like you really want to do it. Teachers are prepared most of the time to let you in (provided there's spots) if you give a very large show of enthusiasm and show them your dedication. They need to see your determined enough so make it sound as if you REALLY want to do it and that you can't go by without it. My friend was able to do this and it got him into Advanced Math having only done 5.2. Either way you should only choose to do Advanced if you REALLY want to.

I can confirm this has worked for me as well before when I transferred schools. Principal said it's full and that there's no spots left. Got offered the class on the spot 5 minutes later..

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Being bored is torture for an intelligent person. Keep pushing to get into the higher class. Don't take no for an answer. They will eventually cave in when they see your determination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)