is ne1 doin 'forensic chem' as their option?? (1 Viewer)

~bumchum~

~shake it baybee!~
HSC
neone??...wel..i gotz one question...

how do u summarise a series of distinguishing tests to serparate acids, bases and nueatral saltz in the forensic chemist's laboratory? and also to separate the groups of hydrocrabons in the forensic chemists laboratory?:confused:

thanx!..mwaz

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
let's see what i can remember....'

groups of hydrocarbons to separate are for example - alkanols, alkanoic acids, alkanes and alkenes. your text will have the separating tests. i remember alkane and alkene is done with bromine water decolorising. alkanoic acid is done by testing pH. alkanol is done with potassium permanganate (i THINK!)

acids bases and neutral salts - again it will be in you texts. but one thing to do is to test the pH of the solution containing the salt, therefore you will know if it's an acid/base/neutral

you also have to know how to identify starch (using iodine) and some other things.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ahah yeah it sounds interesting but it's not that great

how to distinguish acids and bases...? pH meter, pink/blue paper thingys, add an indicator, perform reactions... anything you want really :p
errm yeah alkane/alkene- bromine water decolorising. alkanols react with sodium metal, and then you identify primary/secondary/tertiary quantitatively with errrrm permanganate and see which one oxidises first. reducing sugar you use benedict's solution. starch turns iodine black.

peony

Originally posted by The Bograt
I wish I was doing forensic chem I think its really interesting

If people like CIS, then this is the option for you.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by peony
If people like CIS, then this is the option for you.
Or if you like CSI it would be even better, yeh we're doin either forensics or shipwrecks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)