• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is our state cohort this year really, really smart? (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I've heard that our year this year, as in state-wide cohort, is really smart. Is that true? If so, I'm stuffed for my UAI cos everyone else will be better than me.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm what did the School certificate results say about the year of 05?

I think each year's marks have become progressively better. Its probally not so much the student getting smarter, but a greater access to past students notes and ideas etc

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
More and more people learn to value their education.
More Asians
Asian work ethic penetrating into mainstream Australian culture.

rink

HSC
I'm not sure. What I do know though, is that in my school, our grade is really stupid compared to previous years. That's just my school though. I'm not sure about the whole state. What does everyone else reckon about their school?

rink

HSC
btw deus, that's a good idea. How do we find out what the school certificate results for our year was compared to other years

HSC
I think it's best not to worry about that really. I mean, if the state cohort is smart/dumb you should still GET OFF THE COMPUTER, STUDY, AND STOP WASTING TIME ON BOS...

and so should I... ;_;

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol my year at school is pretty dumb. Sure, you get the few geniuses, but theres a lot of really lowlife, scumbag dregs in my year who are only at school coz they dont know what else to be doing. Which is fine by me, totally boosts my ranks up

HSC
our chemistry/SDD year at our school is insanely good, about 10+ potential band 6 students for chem, and about 6-7 potential band 6 students for SDD, the top 6-7 had a few marks difference while the remainder 16 in the SDD year their marks dropped

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
rink said:
btw deus, that's a good idea. How do we find out what the school certificate results for our year was compared to other years

Yeah i'd be interested in seeing the stats. Its the only real way we can answer this question. The SC is the only recent common exam that the entire cohort in question has done....(There are the basic skills tests; but they are probally a bit of an antiquity now :p)

danza108

HSC
Yea Mate all 50000 of us are smarter than teh 50000 last yr. seriously, why the fck do you go believing that, even saying a school or a grade is smarter this year is wrong, unless the cohort is like 1-10.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
danza108 said:
Yea Mate all 50000 of us are smarter than teh 50000 last yr. seriously, why the fck do you go believing that, even saying a school or a grade is smarter this year is wrong, unless the cohort is like 1-10.

Think about it again.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
our grade is meant to be an intelligent year and should better our marks in comparison to previous years.

nwatts

HSC
I know our year (of only 29, mind you) will produce better results than the Year 12 of 2004/3. We have three students who will score a band 6 in virtually every subject (or Band 4 in the single unit courses), and there's me who will hopefully score a band 6 in Modern and English Advanced. Considering there was only three (I think) band 6 results over last year's entire year, I'd say we'll do well.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
It's very difficult to say how good the cohort would be overall. I got the impression that the class of 2004 was a very good year in general - it was the best year at my own school. We'll have to wait and get the HSC resultsbefore we can make any judgements about it.

And to lala2: you most definitely won't be stuffed for your UAI. The scaling procedure ensures that you have as good an opportunity to get a certain UAI this year as in any previous year of the HSC.

ishq

brown?
HSC
At our school, our year is supposedly "rather crap". The year above us and below us have outshone us in everything. Or so I've heard.

Damn.

santaslayer

HSC
It's very difficult to compare SC results since many things can happen overtime.
I iknow for a fact that a LOT of my friends who got band 6's ended up with crap UAI's and the people who went shit in the SC actually got better results. I think most of them just got complacent.

I got all band 3's in mine. LoLz.

serge

HSC
arent there around 40,000 people sitting the HSC?

saying that an entire 40,000 are smarter than the previous 40,000
is ridiculous. Generally, some people maybe studying harder etc.
but it wont affect a statistical sample of that size

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
serge said:
arent there around 40,000 people sitting the HSC?

saying that an entire 40,000 are smarter than the previous 40,000
is ridiculous. Generally, some people maybe studying harder etc.
but it wont affect a statistical sample of that size
I think it's actually around 62 000.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Without Wings said:
It's impossible to compare years.

Someone says this every year "our year is smarter".
As someone else said earlier, probably not "smater" as such but just better equipped to handle the exams, what with the plethora of past papers and example answers available.

HSC
more books released, more past papers, sooner or later people are going to start hitting into band 6 for standard english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)