Is our state cohort this year really, really smart? (1 Viewer)

danza108

HSC
The Board is also giving more Band 6s and higher bands, because of pressure from teh government. THis coupled with the "dumbing" down of syballuses in 2001, allow more kids to get higher marks, therefore showing the government hasnt failed in providing education.

With this easier marking, more get band 6s, therefore pushing UAIs down, ever wondered why SAM in 2003 is so much higher than JUAI in 2004? There might not be easier exams, but the cut offs are relaxed and there are more people getting higher marks. All to show the newspapers and those fat cats on Macquarie St, that the kids of NSW are getting "smarter"

Last edited:
HSC
the new HSC syllabus is not "dumbed down"

SDD is harder and has more theory than 3u computing studies (granted SDD is a 2u course however i dont think even combined 2u/3u would be as tricky as SDD)

english contemporary equilivant to english standard was also easier they did a listening task in the exam, my brother had got 92% in his HSC for it and he didnt study for contemporary english (but his school did set hard english exams)

chemistry as far as i know is also more tricky, I had a look at the previous past papers, they dont ask many/none assess/evaluate/analyse, most of it is explain or some easy calculation

- lets not forget there aren't more band 6's just for decoration, there are more resources, class of 2001/2002 had about 2 past HSC papers to work from and thats it, class of 2005 has 4 past papers, you can start picking up patterns of questions they ask (for eg. they asked 3 times the lewis dot formula for ozone), also there was nowhere near as many books for the previous years
- also, more people are wanting to go to uni, thus more people are trying harder and successfully getting those band 6s
- there is also a growing number of HSC students each year, more people want a HSC certificate
- other factors im sure also influence it such as international students go to our schools, and international students tend to work very hard to get the required marks because they're paying $14k to stay here each year

you cant just say they "give away band 6s" thats too narrow minded, maybe they do! im not doubting they do or dont (infact i got no idea they did at all); but lets look at the previous years;

they hey less resources, less past papers, new to the entire syllabus- you have to expect the pilot first 1-2 years are going to be dodgy, and then its alot easier for the rest

i havent looked at the stats yet, but has there been a maintained equal percentage of

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
In aligning HSC exams, BOS conforms to a set of standards for each exam each year so theoretically there's no possibility that "more Band 6s are merely being given away".

I think Casmira has explained it very well. The greater incentive and desire to do well, in addition to the multitude of past papers and questions that are now available, have resulted in a greater number of students achieving higher marks. More students than ever are getting tuition. You have sites such BoS available and an abundance of resources that past students never had access to...in fact, I think that's why Laz and the other BoS founders created the site in the first place.

HSC
our school got progressively worst.

something like 67th in 2002
77 in 2003.
250 in 2004.

I believe our form will do very well as after last year heads got chopped.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
the year below us owned us in the SC... i think they take that as an indication of which year's smarter..

apparently we're the dud grade.. =\ or at leaste the lazy grade... we just have VERY VERY SMART people.. and VERY VERY DUMB people.. and a couple in between so i duno how it's gona work..

HSC
some of our years are tops, we got like 2-3 students out of 220 that will ace english, the top few in maths are likely to ace it, and chemistry we got shitloads, like 10-15 looking at high band 5 at least

SDD has about 6-7 very very very close marks, and IT i imagine is good, though i shouldnt put down who got first, she lurks these forums :p

HSC
i made excerpts of the stats and a summary in my attachment you guys will find interesting

according to SC Science statistics, 2004 own us in science, but they also have the largest quantitity of dumbasses between 0-50

odd isnt it?

HSC
here is another one for english, again 1999 beats us overall, but also 1999 was year before introduction of new syllabus, thus they would have shitloads of resources ;D

HSC
and it goes to show the SC results have nothing to do with ext2 results :p

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i dont know about state-wide but i do know that this year's normo year 12 is the worst ever selective bunch and will only be surpassed in stupidness by next year's cohort.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I'm told by my teacher's that my grade is the brainiest bunch to come through in a while. Admittedly, that means the rest of the school is screwed over cos i don't think we're all that bright. Ah well, may as well add my weight to the sinking ship of sefton =P

speed2

HSC
looks like a lot of teacher's are telling this year that they are the smartest yet, because so did our teachers

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
666_blessings said:
Ah well, may as well add my weight to the sinking ship of sefton =P
Haha lol. Nice metaphor to descibe Sefton. OMG you do 4U English and 4U Maths! I wonder if anyone else does that in your grade. Are you aiming for law at uni? Last year, there was a guy called Hong who did 4U English and 4U Maths got 99.85 and came 2nd in the state for 4U Maths. He got into studying law at uni. I wonder if you're as good as him, but I hear you're stronger at English than Maths. Hmm for a moment, I thought you were David Ong. He's been the topic of some of our conversations about who'll dux the HSC this year at school. We've only got one girl doing the 4U-4U combo and she's not that outstandingly bright. No one else is doing that combo mainly because 60-70% of our grade were made to do English Standard, which sux.
Come on man, get your class of 2005 to raise the school's ranks. Get that ship floating!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, wel, rumour has it that our grade is the brightest in a long time. We probably will be, after last year got majorly busted for their HSC results. But then again, we're good as a whole, but there are some really, really bright people, and some really, really, dumb ones.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
At my school, last year's group was the best in a fair while, with students gaining 1st and 15th in Physics not to mention that the same students came 1st and 5th respectively in 2U as accelerants in 2003. I've always had the impression that my grade, following last year's group, have been confronted with more pressure and higher standards to live up to...whether or not that's a good thing, I'm yet to see, but we'll find out on December 16 :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Trebla said:
Haha lol. Nice metaphor to descibe Sefton. OMG you do 4U English and 4U Maths! I wonder if anyone else does that in your grade. Are you aiming for law at uni? Last year, there was a guy called Hong who did 4U English and 4U Maths got 99.85 and came 2nd in the state for 4U Maths. He got into studying law at uni. I wonder if you're as good as him, but I hear you're stronger at English than Maths. Hmm for a moment, I thought you were David Ong. He's been the topic of some of our conversations about who'll dux the HSC this year at school. We've only got one girl doing the 4U-4U combo and she's not that outstandingly bright. No one else is doing that combo mainly because 60-70% of our grade were made to do English Standard, which sux.
Come on man, get your class of 2005 to raise the school's ranks. Get that ship floating!
get over it.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
4U & 4U is for wankers.
Absolute wankers.

I'd have done it but for the unit issue - 13's an evil number, 14's even worse.

nwatts

HSC
Ah, chill. You can do 11 units if you do both 4Unit subjects, you know? (Take an extension of history or music or similar).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Or you could do SORI :)
I think 12 units is ok for the HSC. Beyond that, I'd imagine that the workload would become extremely difficult to handle (unless you've accelerated a course).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)