Is redoing theory effective? (1 Viewer)

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Is it worth anyhting to redo theory agian and again to fully understand the concept? I've employed this once or twice and I did pretty well on exams, but is it just placebo? Should I just grind out more textbook qns and past papers with that time?

nathanzhou1234

HSC
Is it worth anyhting to redo theory agian and again to fully understand the concept? I've employed this once or twice and I did pretty well on exams, but is it just placebo? Should I just grind out more textbook qns and past papers with that time?
Generally for content heavy subjects like Ecos or the sciences I think redoing theory is definitely a good idea because it provides a solid foundation to answer questions with. However, in Maths etc. typically the theory kinda gets tested as you do each question so I think its less relevant in Maths.

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Truly, it really depends on what you mean by 'redoing theory'. Rewriting notes? If you're just redoing it you're not exposing yourself to new information or creating correlations inside your brain that kinda links everything together.
Personally I don't really "redo" theory.
I might find a youtube video on the topic to clarify and reemphasise information and just continue with different practice questions to expose myself to new possibilites.
If for an english-y subject, I'll write an essay with differing questions.
I'm an audio learner though, so youtube videos are great, it truly comes down to the individual. However, something else I do is write out the content on palm cards and occasionally skim through it and this really drills in info. Diagrams like flowcharts are especially helpful on these cards.

I don't rewrite content as there can be a lot and often it's time consuming.

In my opinion, re-reading + extra info for connections > redoing. Again, it's up to the individual and the subject.
As in redoing components that help validate resulting answers/the content that helps prove different theory in mathematics

Also I'd say english would be completely different in regards on how to improve given they are again, quite different. Especially on the context of notes, realistically, no one does notes for maths- its more considating the foundations for the theory: e.g: refer to locusts, points in which a point moves- so it meets a restriction- looking at the graph it forms (e.g: Circle) stuff like that was what I was referring to as 'theory'

Another example could be a trig equation for finding x, reviewing the result in the graphical form- 'theory' such as this

Average Boreduser

π™±πšŠπš—πš—πšŽπš
HSC
Generally for content heavy subjects like Ecos or the sciences I think redoing theory is definitely a good idea because it provides a solid foundation to answer questions with. However, in Maths etc. typically the theory kinda gets tested as you do each question so I think its less relevant in Maths.
Thanks man, I'll probs just do that then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)