• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is Romulus My Father Belonging a good related text (1 Viewer)

marlow415

HSC
N/A
I was just wondering if Romulus My Father would be choice for a belonging related text . My prescribed texts are Migrant hostel(might change it ) and Feliks skrzynecki by peter skrzynecki . If you guys don't Romulus isn't a good choice may be you could suggest some related texts that may fit in better with my prescribed texts .

Thanks
All help is appreciated

madharris

HSC
N/A
Romulus My Father is another prescribed belonging text

I don't think you're allowed to choose another prescribed text.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you're not allowed to use Romulus as it is a prescribed text.

Also, you should always know more than two poems of your prescribed texts, they've never prescribed outside Module B but it gives you greater leverage to adapt to Qs.

Related texts for belonging are really diverse, you shouldn't feel limited to picking another migration text.

marlow415

HSC
N/A
I'm choosing romulus my father as a related text ,as i said if you guys dont think it is a good related text please suggest one that may fit in with my prescribed texts (migrant hostel and feliks)

tigerian

HSC
N/A
its not a case of whether or not its not good as a related text the fact is, and I am a teacher , you are not permitted to use texts in the curriculum as related texts. Many students I know are using pursuit of happyness as a related text for Immigrant Chronicle poems .

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm choosing romulus my father as a related text ,as i said if you guys dont think it is a good related text please suggest one that may fit in with my prescribed texts (migrant hostel and feliks)
I'm telling you that you can't, and it will impact your HSC negatively if you chose to ignore this.

What themes are you looking to explore in migrant and feliks?

Also the best related text is a text you have seen yourself, and can pull lots of technique and analysis out of yourself. That's what makes a related text good.

So many choices for belonging related texts, I Am Sam (film) could offer something a bit different from your prescribed poem text dealing with migrants, as you can explore disabilities as a barrier to belonging and legalities etc. Also, novels like maybe Nineteen Minutes, My Sister's Keeper, Perks of Being A Wallflower, Flowers for Algernon could be good. Actually a great technique with Flowers for Algernon is the typos and misspellings to really lens the novel from the naive narrator's perspective at the start and end. It'd actually be great for belonging, surprised I didn't think of it during my HSC as I do adore that novel.

You could even look at TV shows, TV shows can be great related texts. I tend to advocate not going near songs as they are normally poorly done and you are meant to analyse not just the lyrics.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
if you have seen hte film pursuit of happyness you can use that too. Lovehatesschool is 100% correct

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)