Is science really difficult at uni? (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
I've heard that doing any science at uni is very hard. Is this true? How is the transition from high school science (chem / bio in particular) to uni science?

See , I love the subject, but I'm not SUPER good at it, so I guess if its extremely challenging I shouldnt bother...but i'd like to.

Thanks all.

dora_18

HSC
It really depends what course you were thinking about...

things like adv. science or even a straight bachelor of science are difficult and theres a lot of work envolved
then there are courses like b.health science or b.behavioural heath science which are fairly OK,and are more laid back.....also theres also a lot of applied science in physcio or OT or speech pathology some are pretty full on.....

it depends how well you're doing at school and in those subjects at the moment, if you're doing Ok then chances are you'll find those courses at uni easier....

transition was suprisingly good! once again it depends how well you do at school becuase there is a lot of assumed knowledge and if you dont understand something there is only a limited time where you can pause and question it before you're moving onto another concept or idea...

is there any course you're specificaly referring to?

rockets

HSC
N/A
Am curious to know what do you mean by 'applied science'?

dora_18

HSC
ummm...someone from bachelor of applied science correct me if im wrong but something along the lines of....

its a specific direction in the health science faculty....like they say B.applied science in physiotherapy or occupational therapy...so for physio/occupational therapy you're "applying" the science of physiotherapy or occupational therapy to the course
ie, you're really study is physiotherapy or occupational therapy:D

im not sure exactly sure WHY they call it the way they do....unis like to make things sound good:p

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
rockets said:
Am curious to know what do you mean by 'applied science'?
its a science that you apply to a specific field

i'm doing B Applied Science (speech pathology)

which is a science based speech pathology degree
Although it has language/psych components

rockets

HSC
N/A
Thanks to Skeeta and Dora for that info.
Another question that you might be able to help me with. Are all the health science courses really full on - like lots of hours per week or do you have to go for only a few days and get a day off, in other words are they 9-5 Monday to Friday??

Skeeta

HSC
depends on how the timetabling works. If they can. they'll give you a day off and basically squish everything into four days. But often it is five days but not 9-5, you might start late one day or finish early.. this does not include things like clinical placements (which in speech path you have a client you see once a week) so you might end up at uni for longer than your timetable says (eg. i finished at 12 on tuesday but i had meetings with clients/and case conferences until 6pm)

casebash

HSC
It depends on your subject seletion. What I did, all units at advanced+tsp project= lots and lots of work.

gracie007

HSC
dora_18 : thanks for the info. im actually interested in the exact course you are doing, as well as others, but im not so sure yet. what uai did you get? can you tell me a bit more about health science? what sort of things do you study? i know thats a broad question, but just in general terms. thanks!

dora_18

HSC
lol...its a bludge:p
no no...its actaully a fair amout of work, even though i choose not to do half of it:D
umm there are 4 core units

in first semester you study both psychology and sociology in the unit called "Introductory Behavioural Health Sciences" the sociology strand is a bit boring but the psychology is really interesting and fun, especaily towards the end of the term when they show you all these case studies and videos. The lecturers change a lot because everyone obviously has their own specialty and the last guy who takes you for "developmental psych" is awesome..very funny guy...

there also a unit called "environements,health and society" which IS so so so boring it cannot be fathomed, basically a whole bunch of random information going back to 5000years about the current medical system(it sucks but ironically it was my best subject) it has very little relevance to anything! but the research assesments are really fun becuase you get to research a disease/health issue and assess its sociological impact.

next comes "human biology and biochemistry"which is also commonly studied with people from OT, HIM etc etc...basically as the name suggests you study human biology ( usually with a guy called Dr peter knight-hes awesome, you're likely to have the same lecturers as me this yr) which deals with all physiological functions of the body...theres also some fetal studies which i loved. Apart from that theres also how homeostatic disturbances affect the body( some of this you will have covered in yr12 bio) as well as an introduction to disease and cancer etc etc...DNA and chromosome work on a larger level..etc etc
The biochemistry aspect to this part of the core topic is good, the first couple of weeks are dead set boring becuase its a repeat of yr 12 except in a short amount of time and theres a large focus on the things i found boring in chem like hydrocarbons...but you need to understand this for the "biochem"section which is awesome and you focus on various proteins, lipids in the body and how how they're produced and affect bodily system and function...this part is fun:D but the lecturer for the first month and a half is a total bitch..dont leave her lectures in the middle becuase she'll scream @ you in front of a lecture hall of 200 people (yes im talking from person experience:p)

the last core topic was most hated by me and many of the people in the course...
"basic sciences for health science"
i dont know why they call it BASIC when its not...lol...but its a mix of normal, organic and biochemistry as well as physics. Good news is that there is some overlap between the biochemistry studied in this core topic and in "human biology and biochemistry" so it becomes easier to understand. Once again there is a lot of relap from year 12, but its good becuase i realised that i forgot half the stuff that i had learnt in yr 12 becuase you're away from uni for like 4 months and you definitely dont open up a chem book in that time...lol..Anyway STUDY this core unit VERY WELL, and in first semester there is a midterm exam thats based only on the phyics lectures and pracs (yes you have pracs for both phyics and chem topics..they are SO boring and useless..so dont get excited..and they make you hand them up for marking every week-dread) anyway...the exam is short but kinda weird and you may find it hard...well i did..and i failed it:p (but its only worth 20% so you make up for it in the end of semester exam...which i aced:D...)
The guy who usauly teaches the physics components is really fun though, and he gets excited over finding out how many M&M's you'll require based on weight and kj intake to climb mt everest....freaky..but funny nonetheless

Ummmmm..what else...hours are a dread-lots of 8am lectures...and some 5pm finishes, and theres a day where you're likely to have a 4hr break and have nothing to do, you can't even go out for lunch or shopping becuase it's lidcombe and its a hole!!!(unless you want to cross the road to the largest cemetary in the southern hemisphere:p)

Its the least "hands on" of all the courses offered in health science..compared to say OT and speech pathology and physio...where theres lab work with cadavers, lots of dissections:D...some people like me love that sort of thing..others dont...hence the reason i want to transfer to something more practical and the end of the year...dont know what yet...

as for marks, uai this year was...god i don't even remeber what i got!!(after yr12 the word UAI disappears and no one talks about it!!) it was somewhere around 78 this yr (check UAI handbooks or the website)...it keeps increasng (like it increased by 3 points because in 2005 it was 75) and all the lecturers say its going to continue increasing, so id be aiming for somehwere around 80-85 if you're dead set keen

this semster im studying..
-Professional Practice and Communication
-Human Behaviour and Behaviour Change
-Structure, Function and Disease A
-Microbiology and Biotechnology
ill let you know how that goes!

hope that helps:D

gracie007

HSC
thanks that was so helpful! it sounds pretty decent. ill have to see what i decide on. i dont wanna take the decision lightly of course because i get bored really easy!
thanks again!

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
but the new health science is very different to the older one....
i read it in the handbook, which isn't very helpful anyway....

would u say health sci or sci? (AT LEAST the city u can shop...) =D

dora_18

HSC
umm...first thing you need to realise is that the two degrees are not related, theoretically they're both science subjects but they are not alike at all in terms of what happens after you graduate

it depends what you want to achieve after you complete the degree, health science opens up more opportunities as appose to straight B.science, even though you have majors you dont really have a "title" as such when you graduate....but after health science you're a health professional and you're going to work within the medical field...health promotion etc

dont base your future on easy access and practicality, the health science faculty may be in lidcombe and its a pain in the ass to get to, but the last thing you want to do is choose science over health science becuase you can shop in the city:p

having said that, you really should go talk to someone from straight science and ask about the course, you dont want to choose a degree you're not sure of....well actually people say that but really its no big deal-you just change after a year is up:Dbut still...transfer isnt guaranteed and you will have wasted a year

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
hehe yeah need to find someone doing science...
i dun mind doing health sci.. but realli dunno how it is done and yeah... coz i am interested neuoscience and saw that the hsci offers dat as well,so does science... and science always offers psychology which i like as well...

so i am kinda torn between the two.....

dora_18

HSC
in all health science courses( BHS, BBHS, HIM etc) you will study psychology at some point

tennille

HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:
hehe yeah need to find someone doing science...
i dun mind doing health sci.. but realli dunno how it is done and yeah... coz i am interested neuoscience and saw that the hsci offers dat as well,so does science... and science always offers psychology which i like as well...

so i am kinda torn between the two.....
If you are unsure of what you would like to do, I suggest you do B Science. It is very flexible and there are many different majors available.

gracie007

HSC
What sort of marks for science did you guys get in your HSC? Just as a means for comparison.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)