Is smacking a child ever acceptable? (1 Viewer)

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Last time I checked it was also a crime to lock an adult in a room against their will, but I'm not seeing any threads about how it's against the law to send your kid to their bedroom for two hours because they tried to strangle their little brother and/or break the television screen with their shoe.
I questioned the legitimacy of psychological methods of punishment in the OP. I have no answer for whether locking a child in a room is more or less legitimate than physically hitting them.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Sometimes there are cases where people may genuinely want to resort to physical punishment, but it's a last resort. I can recall several instances where I have done everything possible to try and get a kid to do something, yet he refused to and was being a smartass. I was so close to snapping and going crazy. Stupid kids.

It's not about a quick, lazy, or easy method of punishment, more about utilising the humane experience of pain; If you act this way, you will get hit, hence experience pain. In order to no longer experience this pain in the future, don't repeat your actions. Simple.
By this logic, cutting an 'x' in the skin of your baby for crying to loudly, would be OK as long as it is the 'last resort'.
No, bad parents 'utilize pain' as you revolting advocate. Good parents utilize positive emotions.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
By this logic, cutting an 'x' in the skin of your baby for crying to loudly, would be OK as long as it is the 'last resort'.
No, bad parents 'utilize pain' as you revolting advocate. Good parents utilize positive emotions.
In your opinion.

astroe

HSC
Well obviously you shouldn't inflict too much damage, but really, what can you do?

My situation I presented earlier was like this, I tutored primary schools kids awhile ago when I had free time on my hands. This one kid would not listen to a thing I was saying, wouldn't sit down, wouldn't pay attention, was disturbing other students. Everytime I would tell him off - nicely - I might add, he would cut me off and not listen to me. He clearly wasn't scared of authority and it's highly probable that his parents never hit him, especially when I saw how they spoiled him, etc.

How do you expect to deal with kids like that then?

I'm not a violent person but even I wanted to punch him in the face. Thankfully class was over so I didn't lose it.

Sometimes, rational discussions don't tend to work with children who are of an age where they should understand their place in life. A baby is beyond this of course, and obviously you shouldn't hit babies, but the instance I've brought up shows a case where physical punishment is the last resort - and no, I wasn't going to hit him, but I definitely think the parents should - whether they do or no is beyond the point, but I would be agreeable with physical punishment in this case.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
Well obviously you shouldn't inflict too much damage, but really, what can you do?

My situation I presented earlier was like this, I tutored primary schools kids awhile ago when I had free time on my hands. This one kid would not listen to a thing I was saying, wouldn't sit down, wouldn't pay attention, was disturbing other students. Everytime I would tell him off - nicely - I might add, he would cut me off and not listen to me. He clearly wasn't scared of authority and it's highly probable that his parents never hit him, especially when I saw how they spoiled him, etc.

How do you expect to deal with kids like that then?

I'm not a violent person but even I wanted to punch him in the face. Thankfully class was over so I didn't lose it.

Sometimes, rational discussions don't tend to work with children who are of an age where they should understand their place in life. A baby is beyond this of course, and obviously you shouldn't hit babies, but the instance I've brought up shows a case where physical punishment is the last resort - and no, I wasn't going to hit him, but I definitely think the parents should - whether they do or no is beyond the point, but I would be agreeable with physical punishment in this case.
I don't think your situation is very relevant to the issue. I was more referring to the regular trends of a parent's relationship with their child over a long period of time.

astroe

HSC
But regardless, in such a case where a child does not abide an authoritative figure - which can be the parents - what actions can be taken once all logical, rational and reasonable avenues are exhausted?

will-anal

Banned
HSC
I don't see why forms of mental/emotional punishment, such as isolation in ones room, removal of toys, loss of priviledges are seen as any less abusive than a smack?

HSC
I think the question has become "Is there a clear cut difference between physical and emotional discipline"

absorber

HSC
Acceptable occasionally...A balance needs to be had, where corporal punishment is exercised only rarely

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
I think the question has become "Is there a clear cut difference between physical and emotional discipline"
No I think the question has become is there a distinction between physical discipline and physical suffering, emotional disciple and emotional suffering. (my answer would be yes; there is a distinction).

Otacon2009

HSC
I forgot to say that there is this one customer I see at work regularly. She has her kid on a leash, literally. Is that really necessary to have your kid on leash? I will say that it's not a neck collar leash, but a harness sort of leash.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
What if the child has ADD?
Smacking them generally has no effect because of their funny retardation.
Pills pills pills.
Maybe normal kids she be on like dexies and shit to make them conform

will-anal

Banned
HSC
my mum had me on a leash all the time
look how i turned out
no violent tendencies or severe mental health issues here

Justplainbored

HSC
most definately!!

if you think kids are gunna sit down and listen when u explain whats appropriate and whats not then you deserve to be smacked

parents need to have authority over children, as children need to kno whats right n wrong. if there is no authority then theyll do what they want, you cant stop them, they can kick u and yell at u but because ur the adult u cant do anything back.

so it is definately an important aspect of learning for children.
hell as a kid i got smacked with the wooden spoon, and it definetly set me straight.

hate to see what lil bastards these kids turn into when they grow up if theyve never been disciplined. having never learnt concequences for their actions

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I forgot to say that there is this one customer I see at work regularly. She has her kid on a leash, literally. Is that really necessary to have your kid on leash? I will say that it's not a neck collar leash, but a harness sort of leash.
I hate that so much.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Yes it is acceptable. I was smacked when I was a kid and so was every other kid I knew. Nothing wrong with; if I wasn't smacked then I would probably be one of those wannabe gangsta-bogans. Thank fuck that I'm not.

I remember when I was around 8 and I was with Mum in Coles. This girl (she was about 6) was throwing a huge tantrum and Mum said 'She needs a good smack. Look at her,'
Today, I completely agree with her. And no that's not abuse.

However, I once saw this kid getting belted -- yes, with a belt -- for saying to his father 'Dad, I'll get the canned peaches in a second,' and he was tying his shoelace when he said it. Five seonds later his dad had taken off his belt (and yes this was at the shops) and was already flogging him for not doing what he said. Instantly. But not just once -- over and over until he was screaming with pain. Not crying, screaming, howling. The whole works. I couldn't believe my eyes and Dad pulled the father off the kid and punched him. Fucking deserved it too. The kid had ran away -- I'd say to his mum who I'd seen before.
Fucking sick bastard he was.

I was also remember being a smart to my dad and getting flogged for that growing up. But there is no way in hell that I'd call that abuse.

The next generation are going to be little smart arses who run around thinking they're king shit because they were never smacked in their entire lives. Ooh, I can't wait for that day.

So to answer OP's question: Smacking is definitely OK. Abuse definitely isn't.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Kids on leashes I can understand.

Some toddlers just run away the second you let go of their hand, and that could be dangerous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)