is society and culture and legal studies any good???!! (1 Viewer)

la1234

HSC
Hi

I was wondering about the nature of society and culture and legal studies in year 11. I recently just picked them as two of my year 11 electives as well as bio, chem, 3u maths and 2u english.

For those who took either of these subjects, did you end up dropping them in year 12 or continue with them for the HSC. Also, how content heavy are they and are they any good.

Thanks.

jaclyn

HSC
(I'm doing HSC society) The society and culture PIP is hellish unless you really like your topic and you're a good assignment writer. The actual course/syllabus content is very low compared to other courses, and quite easy. Just depends on whether you want to grind through the PIP or not. It can be quite interesting if you find your own subject matter niche or you're passionate about something, but there is some bland stuff you have to do as well such as 'comparing research methodologies' omg that is so boring.

quickoats

HSC
(I'm doing HSC society) The society and culture PIP is hellish unless you really like your topic and you're a good assignment writer. The actual course/syllabus content is very low compared to other courses, and quite easy. Just depends on whether you want to grind through the PIP or not. It can be quite interesting if you find your own subject matter niche or you're passionate about something, but there is some bland stuff you have to do as well such as 'comparing research methodologies' omg that is so boring.
Also it’s very easy to get sick of your PIP - my class jokes that it was a “P” since we weren’t “personally interested” anymore.

It might be a good idea to ask the HSIE faculty what depth studies they do for society and culture. If you’re super passionate about them then I suggest you go for it. There’s such a really wide range of topics that schools pick, some which might be more of interest to you than others. E.g. For Pop Culture, schools have done focuses ranging from Barbie/Bratz (toy) to Sci fi television (my teacher had a particular focus on stuff like Star Trek - my class did not love that topic).

I didn’t do legal studies but it’s quite different - lots of essay writing and also some rote learning, whereas society and culture has the same critical thinking but less memo

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
S&C is sooo easy in terms of content & study (honestly I would compare it to CAFS it was that easy), so your main thing to consider is the PIP. Do you know what you'd like to research? If no, I'd start thinking about that now, although I'm sure your teacher will dedicate some class time to that or tell you when to seriously start doing your homework on that one.

Legal is definitely not easy as far as content goes - it's very dense and there's so many specific details to remember. I really enjoyed it and found it one of those subjects (along with PDHPE) where I found the content useful for my everyday life. I did end up dropping this one though. Only because my marks were not stellar and I didn't want it to drag me down, especially since it came with long study hours and a long AF exam. I didn't make this decision until after Trial marks.

yao_jahang

HSC
is pdhpe prelim and hsc fun? or is society and clture better? can u guys give me some pros and cons for both subjects?

may22

HSC
is pdhpe prelim and hsc fun? or is society and clture better? can u guys give me some pros and cons for both subjects?
I'm doing prelim PDHPE right now. imo it's really straightforward; there might be a lot of notes to take, but nothing is very technical. I find it's the kind of subject that relates to life in general, although in some cases, if you do an extra-curricular sport, you might relate to it even more. It's a lot of life skills/general knowledge.

In all honesty, one of the main reasons I took PDH was because my school has First Aid as one of the option topics, and we get to go through a First Aid course and get the 3-year certificate. Unfortunately, due to lockdown, this didn't go ahead, and while I had chosen PDH as an easy filler subject to have 12 units, I'm definitely keeping it for year 12 because it's so much easier to do well in compared to my other subjects.

^my school doesn't have society and culture, so I can't speak for that

yurtle

HSC
Hi

I was wondering about the nature of society and culture and legal studies in year 11. I recently just picked them as two of my year 11 electives as well as bio, chem, 3u maths and 2u english.

For those who took either of these subjects, did you end up dropping them in year 12 or continue with them for the HSC. Also, how content heavy are they and are they any good.

Thanks.
From a class of around 20 students only 5 remained after the exams for legal studies. It depends on the teacher and their methods of teaching as mine currently teaches from slides only. Year 11 was pretty average, wasn't easy or hard, you've got to be determined to be studying a lot as I received homework x2 compared to my other classes. It is an okay subject, but I would never pick it again if I had to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)