Is St Marys Good? (1 Viewer)

John Wick

HSC
Hey! I'm currently in St Marys and currently do mx2, mx1, physics, chem, engineering and eng stand. I can't really say if you should go or not but what I can say is how it is. For the science faculty, they were really unprepared when it came to the new syllabus for our grade, making us skip almost the whole physics 4th module and to learn ourselves in year 11, they expect you to do most of the work outside of class however they do give you what you put in. As for chem, it was much much better prepared and the teachers are much more enthusiastic about chemistry from what I've seen, (there are two physics teachers for year 12 and one is leaving next year but there are other teachers that can teach physics next year) but there are not many experiments and its mainly completing booklets. To make up for this, they do hold before school and after school physics and chemistry tutorials which personally are much better than the classes, since they do go much faster and go through HSC style questions.

For maths, the extension classes tend to get much better teachers than the advanced and standard maths classes. We do have good math teachers here but there isn't really that deep passion for maths. However, I still enjoy the maths classes as they go through content quite quickly and thoroughly. The mx2 class is much faster paced than mx1 class with the lessons being just teacher talking and students writing down whats on the board.

Engineering was very slow in year 11 due to the original engineering teacher being away, but there is a new engineering teacher and he is very experienced and lenient. His lessons are quite enjoyable and tend to be solving engineering questions individually and then as a class discussing it. He does hold afterschool engineering tutorials for students who want to do extra work and go through engineering skills.

English is wild. Every teacher is different and every class will have different things to say, especially in standard. The english teachers are quite stricter and less lenient than any other faculty but this is just my opinion which is very different to all students. They do have debating and public speaking competitions but its quite unorganised.

St Marys is great if you like to work on things independently and being part of a community, there are plenty of resources and teachers to talk to (our careers advisor received careers advisor of the year award).

Bardo L

HSC
N/A
If you have a strong will, discipline and desire to succeed you should come.
There is virtually no punishment for truancy, lateness or absence so there is a lot of temptation to jig
The shops are really close by so most students go there during their free periods.
If you can play this freedom to your advantage, you should come. Most teachers are really good at their jobs, some are not. The school is great for resources and services.
Think about all ive said before making your decision, i'm in year 11 and go St Marys so trust me.
Please try out for higher ranked selective schools such as Penrith, Girraween etc before even considering St Marys
Hope I've helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)